Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > COD: Black Ops thread

COD: Black Ops thread (Page 7)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2010, 10:12 AM

You people are so naive.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2010, 11:14 AM

Black Ops Trash #317: MW2 didn't leave my console for 5+ months. I've already popped Rock Band 3 and NFS: Hot Pursuit in after less than 2 weeks.

I have yet to play the campaign.

Edit: I don't know how, but for 2 games Sat we had a guy quickscoping on the other team. I have a feeling the level of quality and consistency was somewhere around 12 year-old trying it out for the first time in MW2. But still disturbing.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Nov 22, 2010, 01:18 PM

Dakar, the single player campaign is the best CoD has seen since COD2
I've played through on normal and now am doing the usual veteran run, the levels are extremely varied and well designed, the story is halfway decent mostly due to the great presentation, although they lay it out in the end like your a 8 year old.

There is a few memorable moments that are much different that your usual COD affair.

Co-op would make it one of the best single player FPS experiences in recent memory as you almost always have a team/partner, why they refuse a co-op campaign blows my mind

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
I've played through on normal and now am doing the usual veteran run, the levels are extremely varied and well designed, the story is halfway decent mostly due to the great presentation, although they lay it out in the end like your a 8 year old.

There is a few memorable moments that are much different that your usual COD affair.
SeaNanners rates it as the best single player FPS campaign. Hutch says that it up with the best but not as good as Bioshock. I shall save doing it for when the interwebs are down.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2010, 01:33 PM

Co-op would make it one of the best single player FPS experiences in recent memory as you almost always have a team/partner, why they refuse a co-op campaign blows my mind
Strong words. Where do rank the last 3?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2010, 01:35 PM

Oh, before I forget:

The new standing record: 7500-1300

New improvement for next game – Show all people who dropped out in post game stats.
Oh and show the ****ing score.

*ahem*
1-19
0-10
0-11
0-16

(Welcome to the Jungle baby, you're gonna dieeeeeeeeee)

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Nov 22, 2010, 03:43 PM

COD Single player campaign rankings
1. COD
2. COD 2
3. Black ops
4. WaW
5. MW (only because of the post credits mile high mission)
6. COD 3
7. MW2

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2010, 03:48 PM

Jesus, All Ghillied Up wasn't worth noting?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2010, 04:17 PM

Oh, I don't recall anyone ever complaining about the Thumper, but good God did they nerf the China Lake to hell. Just like Thumper it has to sight before firing, except now it takes twice as long. And in case you're clever, if you try to manually aim down sight before firing, that too takes twice as long as normal.

Treyarch are a bunch of pussies.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2010, 04:18 PM

29-1 on nuketown... Check my file-share, haters.

Good games this weekend for sure.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Oh, I don't recall anyone ever complaining about the Thumper, but good God did they nerf the China Lake to hell. Just like Thumper it has to sight before firing, except now it takes twice as long. And in case you're clever, if you try to manually aim down sight before firing, that too takes twice as long as normal.

Treyarch are a bunch of pussies.
Holy shit do I agree, I used it for one game and immediately switched back to the RPG.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
29-1 on nuketown... Check my file-share, haters.

Good games this weekend for sure.
Dude, you were on fire all of Saturday.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2010, 04:27 PM

Anyone going to be on tonight?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2010, 04:31 PM

Sure.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2010, 04:32 PM

The excitement is palpable.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2010, 04:37 PM

That you even feel the need to ask is telling.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2010, 04:50 PM

Prestige Emblems:

I guess my goal is five, and at this rate I don't think I'll hit it.

Edit: Better images found in this thread.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Nov 22, 2010, 04:53 PM

I planned on some veteran campaign action but if you geeks are around I'll be on after 7pm

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2010, 04:56 PM

It's alright Bogues, we wouldn't to stop you from playing with yourself. You've probably been looking forward to it all day.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2010, 06:26 PM

Dude, you were on fire all of Saturday.
Thanks for noticing! Having host is huge (I didn't for that nuketown game though).
The game isn't that interesting to watch, I pretty much just camped behind the bunk beds for a most of it, but I did get the dogs finally. I'm now running Blackbird + Chopper Gunner + Dogs

harddrivedude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2010, 06:31 PM

Is anyone up for a match tomorrow (Just got it today)? I have classes all night right now. sigh
"The best way out is always through." -Robert Frost
My squidoo Lens: External Hard Drives Review

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2010, 07:20 PM

BTW, Thursday night I set my sights on actually becoming proficient with the sniper rifle. Here are the results...

I probably played 20 matches with nothing but my sniper class, which consists of:

L96A1 + Extended mags
CZ75 + Full Auto Mode
Semtex + Claymore
Ghost/Scout/Ninja

First off, this class would be nigh impossible to use without the CZ full auto pistol. I probably netted 50% of my kills each match with it. Secondly I maintained a 2.00+ K/D for all of the matches, but of course the overall kills were much less than if I had used a regular class. For most matches I got around 10-15 kills, and low single digit deaths.

The outcry of 'seconds' that it takes for the scope to calm down is greatly exaggerated. In my experience it seems like slightly less than a half-second and you are able to get a hit. Now, the difference I see is that a man on the move is much easier to down if you take the shot very carefully. In MW2 my sniping focus was scoping in as quick as possible and getting the shot off as quick as possible, not so here. I find that when I see an enemy in the open that scoping on him for a little longer than usual and taking the best shot possible results in a single-shot kill.

Now comes the good part. As pointed out before in several posts and Dakar's grand-daddy epic miniseries, weapon range has dropped significantly from MW2 and now SMGs are the preferred weapon for most maps and many players. This means I have been able to net two, and even three kills at a time because I am far enough away that the enemies are not able to put me down quick enough.

Example Villa: My spot is the main balcony, hunkered into a corner. My main opposition comes from the back building with the large window that faces the balcony. Even after seeing, shooting, and even getting a hit or two on me I am still able to snipe them without much fuss, in MW2 their weapons would have easily killed me at that range.

Now here comes the only caveat. I had host the entire night. I can only hope that did not come into play with regards to one-hit-kills because I am actually starting to like sniping in this game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Dakar's grand-daddy epic miniseries
lulz

Now here comes the only caveat. I had host the entire night.
Dude, the grand finale of my grand-daddy epic miniseries was that this game is more host centric than its predecessor. I suppose you can now go forth provide one data point to prove/disprove that.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2010, 04:58 AM

Sek, you going to prestige some more? I'm really really hating it atm.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2010, 12:04 PM

Any of you guys going to be playing during the latter part of the week? I'd like to join up and play with some folks that actually enjoy TDM. I got an invite from sek last night, but was in my last match with my brother before heading off to play basketball and jam my left thumb pretty badly. The first thought in my head was, "Crap, I'd better be able to play some Black Ops during the holiday..."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2010, 01:12 PM

My 9-year-old nephew just texted me with his mom's phone to let me know he prestiged. I'm still a 38, I believe.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 23, 2010, 01:32 PM

and then he teabagged you.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 23, 2010, 02:52 PM

Alright, here's one of those moments where if I was the dude on the receiving end I'd be calling hax.

YouTube - DakarZero - Second Chance Blind Double-kill

In retrospect, I probably should have reversed the segment order.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2010, 04:34 PM

Sick.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Sek, you going to prestige some more? I'm really really hating it atm.
It all depends on the NN community and how much they are going to play.

I have been playing by myself a decent amount, but without a crew that is going to play for a while I won't get far.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 23, 2010, 04:45 PM

I think we'll be playing for a while (Like I said, I'd like to hit 5). For as much sour grapes this games give us (me), now that we're compensating for its glitches its pretty playable (particularly if you force half the games to be in Jungle). It's not like there are any better new multiplayer games coming out soon.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2010, 04:47 PM

Not to mention....

Despite our constant bitching we are currently blowing away our win% from MW2, and most of us are besting our old K/D too.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 23, 2010, 04:50 PM

Despite our constant bitching we are currently blowing away our win% from MW2, and most of us are besting our old K/D too.
I think that's just circumstance. I held a 2.0+ win loss for a week or two in MW2 when I was playing solo quite a bit. Having a team this early on is clutch. Wait til January when the second wave from xmas has acclimated to the game.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2010, 04:55 PM

...we are currently blowing away our win% from MW2, and most of us are besting our old K/D too.

*sigh*...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 23, 2010, 04:58 PM

I missed that last part, but is anyone other than fatty beating their old k/d?

kavvika - Down
Mine - Down
Euthyphro - Down
saint - Down
Subie - Down or close to his final days on MW2 (where it was steadily going down)

That's all the regulars. I think Bogues' is about the same or a little down.

Edit: I'll try not to play the host/connection card, but it's there, lurking in the background.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2010, 05:16 PM

Guess I'm the only one that crushed his old K/D then.

Of course, to be fair, MW2 was my first real foray into CoD matchmaking. I played WaW until level 48 or something, but that was mainly to keep people form backing out of Zombie lobbies because they thought I was a n00b.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 23, 2010, 05:18 PM

To be fair you watered down your k/d in HC in the early going, but after 6 months of play I imagine those sins were all but wiped away.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2010, 05:31 PM

Well it was trial by fire at first, but I imagine my K/D from our last few months of play was easily over 1.80. I started Black Ops really strong (first game I played I went 25-8 on Launch) and hopefully I can continue the trend.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2010, 05:39 PM

My K/D is going up the more I play. Too bad there's no way to see what it is online!>@#

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 23, 2010, 05:46 PM

Well it was trial by fire at first, but I imagine my K/D from our last few months of play was easily over 1.80.
No way, dude. No way. I managed to move my k/d around between 2.13 and 2.15 frequently with way more time in. If you had been averaging 1.8 at the end your k/d would have shot past Euthyphro's. You forget how many games you'd completely bite it running around with M1014.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2010, 06:32 PM

I miss the M1014

*tear*

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 23, 2010, 06:40 PM

Someone on the CoD forums pointed out the irony that Black Ops arguably nerfed shottys then put them back as primaries. It is curious that on maps that promote so much more CQB you don't see them more often but I think that answer is simple: flexibility.

Other missed observations: How when team mates die now, their arrow does not immediately disappear from the mini-map (looks like a 2 sec delay).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2010, 06:45 PM

The only map I've been successful with a shotty on (namely the SPAS) is Grid, thanks to it mostly being very CQB in cramped hallways.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2010, 02:57 AM

I've played through on normal and now am doing the usual veteran run,
Bogues, did you beat the level of Khe Sahn? That was the only level I had difficulty with on veteran only because I didn't know the objective when going down the hill (the infinite enemy respawn part). Didn't realize you had to stab the barrels. I never did that on normal. I just ran through. :/

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2010, 04:38 AM

I missed that last part, but is anyone other than fatty beating their old k/d?

kavvika - Down
Mine - Down
Euthyphro - Down
saint - Down
Subie - Down or close to his final days on MW2 (where it was steadily going down)
Not that anyone cares, I'm down. W/L ratio is down as well. I seem to be thrown into more games just as they end in Black Ops. Whats left of my clan seem to be playing alot of Demolition, which I can't stand. Yeah you get the points, but bloody hell does it last a long time.

That's all the regulars.
Feel like I've been banned from a bar.

Edit: I'll try not to play the host/connection card, but it's there, lurking in the background.
When I do very well, I'm host or have 4 bars. But I can also do well when I have 2 yellow bars and I can do badly with a decent connection. I noticed in S&D that this can fluctuate wildly so I'm going to attribute the 'Apple Network Measurement' problem to Treyarch.

It would also be nice to ensure that we get the points and bonuses if some arsehole decides to pull out their ethernet. Don't know if its possible though.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 24, 2010, 12:15 PM

Feel like I've been banned from a bar.
Sorry man, just thinking of people I game with regularly.

When I do very well, I'm host or have 4 bars. But I can also do well when I have 2 yellow bars and I can do badly with a decent connection. I noticed in S&D that this can fluctuate wildly so I'm going to attribute the 'Apple Network Measurement' problem to Treyarch.

It would also be nice to ensure that we get the points and bonuses if some arsehole decides to pull out their ethernet. Don't know if its possible though.
Was it different in MW2?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 24, 2010, 12:16 PM

Oh, brutal night last night. Got put in quite a few lobbies with either green patches or clans.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2010, 12:31 PM

You guys gonna be on tonight? I'm soo down. Haven't been able to play since last week.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 24, 2010, 01:32 PM

This is stupid, and not all that entertaining, but the other night some guy scared the crap out of me by diving out of a hut.

YouTube - DakarZero - Superman Fail

I did not see him die anywhere near that fast when I was playing at home. I'm almost disturbed at how fast he dies – it seems like the first bullet flat-out kills him.

Edit: Actually that might make a great looping gif.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 24, 2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
You guys gonna be on tonight? I'm soo down. Haven't been able to play since last week.
Depends on how many people are on. I might do Hot Pursuit if the numbers are low.

Forum Links
Forum Rules