Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > COD: Black Ops thread

COD: Black Ops thread (Page 9)
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2010, 05:47 AM

3 in a row FTW.

Domination Pwnage, with some decent music instead of SeaNanners (who I don't find that annoying if truth be told).

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Dec 1, 2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
I'm game. Let's do Saturday during the day, yes?

BTW Bogues, did you find Veteran that difficult?
except for a few parts I thought veteran was one of the easiest of the series. In hindsight I should of made it my first playthrough but I was thinking it was going to be WaW like.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2010, 10:55 AM

I hope they make the closed half of Nuke Town DLC, because I'm ready to burn that place down to the ground.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I hope they make the closed half of Nuke Town DLC, because I'm ready to burn that place down to the ground.
I'm starting to get bored of Firing Range as well.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2010, 11:19 AM

Yeah, I tend to run a little hot and cold on that one as well. Were all the maps on WaW small too?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2010, 11:21 AM

Oh, for fun boyos: Connect to multiplayer, go to options, hit the back button and post what Treyarch rates your bandwith as here.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2010, 11:33 AM

Fatty, this sounds like your problem: Call of Duty: Black Ops

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2010, 03:21 PM

Prestige Emblems:

That guy we saw last night was a level 6 prestige. Along with the 3.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2010, 05:24 PM

Quintuple post!

FWIW: Call of Duty: Black Ops
So I tested this in a private match with a friend as well as games from my recent history using 1st person view and free roam. It turns out that the sound of footsteps are drastically reduced if you simply turn a corner or go through a doorway. If you have a line of sight on someone then you can hear their footsteps across an entire zone from one end to the other but if you are 10 feet away from them and around a corner then you can't hear anything until they are right next to you. I've tested this using ninja and ninja pro and on players with any 3rd perk besides ninja. Ninja Pro doesn't even make footsteps louder necessarily; it just lets you pick up on them maybe a few paces sooner but that doesn't apply to the corners and doorways scenarios where you can't hear anything.

I've tested ladders as well. If you look at someone climbing a ladder you can hear the sound every OTHER footstep(the left but not the right). This is for the wooden ladders on jungle and metal ladders elsewhere. If, however, you aren't looking at them then you can't hear anything at all. I did these tests with no other background noises and was really surprised that with ninja pro you can't even hear someone climbing a ladder.

The sounds of mantling, reloading, diving, and voices are very easy to hear but what's up with footsteps? I know before the patch that footsteps made no sound whatsoever and at least the patch fixed that but is this the finished product?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2010, 05:45 PM

Quintuple post!

FWIW: Call of Duty: Black Ops
Bizarre.

A note on the voices: you apparently can't hear the sound of an opponent grunting at the beginning of a jump. I noticed this when viewing a particular kill of mine from the opponent's perspective. It might have had something to do with my using Ninja Pro, but I thought that only covered footsteps, not grunts. Enlighten me, anyone?

The whole issue of sound in this game is pretty inconsistent. I notice the problems a lot more when playing with my headphones.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2010, 05:46 PM

Ninja is footsteps and footsteps only.

The ladder thing really galls me.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2010, 08:09 PM

Ninja is footsteps and footsteps only.

The ladder thing really galls me.
Stop camping ladders?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2010, 08:19 PM

That's what claymores are for.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2010, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
except for a few parts I thought veteran was one of the easiest of the series. In hindsight I should of made it my first playthrough but I was thinking it was going to be WaW like.
Yeah, same here. If I knew it it was that easy, I'd have done it on Vet the first time as well.

So is anyone up for Zombies on Saturday?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2010, 04:55 AM

Yeah, I tend to run a little hot and cold on that one as well. Were all the maps on WaW small too?
I don't remember any being as small as Nuketown, in fact most of the maps were wide open. IIRC snipers could be used on ANY of the maps.

Correction : Dome was a smallish map

Fatty, this sounds like your problem: Call of Duty: Black Ops
I had this all the time before the patch. Now in s&d not so much. Recent games have been OK, but I've not been on as much as before.

That guy we saw last night was a level 6 prestige. Along with the 3.
How many days had he been playing? Must be an s&d whore.

What a pile of shite.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2010, 05:00 AM

I presume from Dakar's sig that he's a fan of the SR-71 killstreak reward. I must say that when someone gets it, the game can change radically. I love the fact that you can't hide from it.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2010, 06:49 AM

dont paly drunk

that is alll iwill say

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2010, 06:59 AM

Wonder what the alcohol level has to be before Kavvika'd k/d starts to plumet.

Unless you're a bed wetter, drink a pint of water before going to sleep.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Stop camping ladders?
While I realize this is trolling, I think it's galling that the sound only works based on line of sight. If I can see the guy climbing the ladder the sound just became irrelevant, cock suckers.

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I had this all the time before the patch. Now in s&d not so much. Recent games have been OK, but I've not been on as much as before.
Except the people in that thread say they were fine before the patch.

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I presume from Dakar's sig that he's a fan of the SR-71 killstreak reward. I must say that when someone gets it, the game can change radically. I love the fact that you can't hide from it.
I'm a fan of the SR-71. The fact that its one of the best killstreaks is just happy circumstance.

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
dont paly drunk

that is alll iwill say
I think I used to put up bigger numbers in MW2 when I was lit, mostly because I stopped playing so defensive.

But given this games split/second nature slash huge connection dependency, I imagine it wouldn't be so true for me on Black Ops.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2010, 11:58 AM

OMG Fatty, we need more practice. Not good last night.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2010, 01:49 PM

I was also a bit sauced last night, still no excuse for those terrible games.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2010, 05:09 PM

Yes!

Funny CoD: Black Ops Emblems

Edit: NSFW if that's not obvious
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Dec 3, 2010 at 11:28 AM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2010, 05:47 PM

This might apply to us...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2010, 05:49 PM

Hehe, I like that one.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2010, 05:53 PM

I wonder if we could get some hate from having that emblem and camping as hard as possible.

Speaking of which i can't recall getting much post-game trash-talk. Maybe people don't bother if all they see is Party Chat Icons (though I honestly don't think people are that smart).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2010, 06:03 PM

I am fueled by the hatred of others, nothing makes me smile like some jerk calling me a cheater because I hold my breath when sniping.

I think it's because of the new party chat allowed in TDM that we don't hear more complaints.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2010, 06:42 PM

Very very bad network tonight. Mainly S&D games, finally managed to get the G11 again.

Having a hard time getting 'pro' for the perks. I've got Sleight of Hand Pro but FFS, getting Flak jacket Pro is going to be impossible (need to throw back 5 grenades, haven't done one yet).

Latest thing that really fooks me off : people disconnecting when they loose and you don't get your bonus points.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I am fueled by the hatred of others, nothing makes me smile like some jerk calling me a cheater because I hold my breath when sniping.

I think it's because of the new party chat allowed in TDM that we don't hear more complaints.
Or the 12 year-olds. It has its advantages and drawbacks.

But yeah, no more post-game bitching schadenfreude.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2010, 08:46 PM

Dude, this is definitely NSFW
45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Dude, this is definitely NSFW
Yeah, sorry about that. I figured that'd be obvious to the regular crew, but I forget other people lurk these threads.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2010, 11:43 AM

Also another thing that i thought was a little weird...
When you have Regular Ninja on and you run around you can barely hear your steps. But when you crouch around you are considerably louder.
Here's something else interesting. You can hear yourself moving around with ninja or ninja pro in first person or 3rd person but if you switch to free roam and follow yourself around, there is no noise(I guess that's the games way of telling you that you really are silent to other players). It seems like with ninja in this game you have 100% silent footsteps opposed to MW2 where people say they can still hear you a tiny, tiny bit.

Now, Ninja pro is supposed to make you silent when it comes to reloading or mantling but when I tested that with a friend he said he could hear me but only from a close-medium distance whereas I could hear him further away. I was shocked he could hear me at all to the point where I had to press him a few times to make sure. He said "yep, I hear the umph sound when you climb and the reloading sound everytime but NOT the sound of your voice calling out the reload". So is that working correctly or? What? I don't know.
The more I read the more I have to believe that the in-game sound is thoroughly glitched and Treyarch is down-playing it as just having taken a different approach.

I don't know what to say about my player screaming, "I'm OUT!!" when I reload in enemy territory. If the enemy isn't listening for subtle hints of my presence, I certainly don't wan't my character yelling. Or do I need a new perk: Slot 1 - Anti-Dumbass - player does not scream out his location to the enemy at random.
By far one of the oddest additions to the game, and by far one of the most unrealistic. I've commented that I can no longer sound whore (and don't really care, either), but I actually have identified enemies nearby thanks to this stuff. The key is knowing what language your team is speaking.

If MW2s sound system still existed in this game, I think my k/d would probably be topping 2.25, and I'd remove at least 1 death per game, and possibly add a kill or two.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2010, 12:21 PM

Again bad network connections today (had to stay home and look after a sick son). BUT it showed 3 or 4 bars when I was lagging terribly. So Treyarch's network ping measurement code is fooked.

Another 'glitch', that I saw but that didn't show up in the film. Instead of having the RC icon on the mini-map, I saw a plane icon. I even stopped and double checked and the RC went right by me but on the mini-map it was the same icon as the napalm bomber (a F4 Phantom IIRC). But like I said, it wasn't in the film when I was recording.
( Last edited by mattyb; Dec 3, 2010 at 12:37 PM. )

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Dec 3, 2010, 04:25 PM

Any of you geeks going to be on tonight?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2010, 04:26 PM

I haven't been on the past two nights, so yes.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2010, 04:35 PM

I haven't been on since last weekend, so no.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2010, 06:59 PM

I'll be on late, possibly drunk.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2010, 03:12 PM

Big news incoming: Call of Duty: Black Ops
(Says it was posted 23 days ago, but this is the first I heard of it)

IN PROGRESS
Title Update 4 is nearing the end of Phase 2 testing. Going into Phase 3 submissions on 12/6.

Issues Addressed:
• Resolved several issues with parties getting disbanded unexpectedly.
• Updated handling for UPnP-enabled routers to improve matchmaking conditions where users had strict or moderate NAT types. Also added in-game communications so that all players are aware of their NAT type in the Player Match party lobby.
• Addressed issue that prevented the “Load MP by Default” option from saving when other specific option combinations were set.
• Prevention of exploit that allowed players to keep custom classes and killstreaks after prestige.
• Addressed an issue where Flak Jacket Pro would not always protect against ground fires left by Napalm Strikes.
• Prevention of users losing their killstreak reward when switching classes at the start of a new round in round-based game modes.
• Addressed an issue where the incorrect perks would appear when spectating another player under certain circumstances.
• Added round start explosive delay to China Lake grenade launcher to give it the same round start limitations as other explosives.
• Contracts will now reset when the player Prestiges.
• Prevention of Valkyrie rocket exploding upon release under rare conditions.
• Prevention of Gunship failing to give player full control under rare conditions.
• Prevention of an issue where a player will get teleported outside the map boundaries under very specific circumstances.
• Additional security measures to enhance detection and banning capabilities.

Gameplay Tuning:
• Limit the ability to re-roll supply drops using Hardline Pro to Care Packages only, no other killstreak drops.
• Added a negative influencer to all spawn points to decrease the chances of spawning near an enemy. This will further improve spawning protection on top of previous updates.
• Additional sound mix tuning for Ninja Pro users – increased ranges and volume of enemy footsteps, and removed player footstep sounds on concrete material types.
• Increased headshot multipliers for sniper rifles. Sniper rifles with suppressors equipped will now always be ensured one-shot kill headshots.
• Subtle increase in sniper rifle accuracy when scoping in.
• Added a render delay to the red diamond player indicators that appear when controlling the Gunship, Valkyrie Rocket and Chopper Gunner. When a player first spawns, this will not appear for a period of time.
• Additional minor reductions in knife lunge.

Let's talk the major stuff.

I don't know if the Care Package thing was a glitch or a really poor thought out reward, but either way I'm glad to hear this. Less Care package spamming.

Sniper Rifle silencers. I think we all agreed in MW2, but I've said before – a headshot is a headshot is a headshot. A silenced one should be a death either way. This now makes silenced sniping viable.

The render delay is something I suggested in MW2. While its not a perfect solution (see: spawn trapping), it should have some effect. I'm a little concerned about their generousness here; I always thought it should kick-in as a sort of anti-air deathstreak, but it sounds like it'll be active at all times. I'd also have the boxes fade in rather than just appear after a set time.

Side note: I don't see why the Valkyrie Rockets got thrown in here. They're crappy enough as is.

Minor stuff:

Sometimes when you do something right no one will notice at all. This applies to the precursor to the China Lake patch; Underbarrel grenade launchers were prevented from firing at the start of games and rounds to curtail spawn-killing. Well done.

They are messing with spawn influencers. I'm hoping this addresses Summit's fail spawn, though that's only half the problem.

Ninja: "Additional Sound Mix Tuning" – Translation: "Additional Sound Mix Code Fixes"

"Additional minor reductions in knife lunge" Notice the word additional. You guys may not have known it, but in the last patch they supposedly toned down the knife lunge, if only just barely. So now they're doing again. They should just tone it down to CoD4 levels. If a guy Commando's us, it's not like we were gonna win a heads up bullet fight anyway.

Now if only they'd tone-down bullet penetration.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2010, 09:02 PM

PC Wall hack
YouTube - First CoD Black Ops Wallhack out in the wild

Posted because, Jesus can you kill through everything. (Guy appears to be using SoH rather than Hardened)

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2010, 04:53 AM

OMG! 1 in a trillion shot!

Quad kill tomahawk throw while hitting the RC-XD

WOW! That's freakin' hilarious!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2010, 07:57 AM

I find that getting the Pro perks is far more difficult in Black Ops than in MW2.

Trying to get Scout Pro after getting all the other Tier 2 Pro versions and I wonder if the headshots are for sniper rifle headshots only or can I use any weapon?

Flak jacket pro is also prooving difficult, nobody wants to throw frags at me, only semtex :-(

Marathon Pro was fun getting since I hadn't played CTF since who knows when.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 6, 2010, 04:05 PM

They are. I suppose that's justification for some of the Pros being pretty broken, but I think it just creates an unbalanced skill gap and disincentivises Prestiging.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 6, 2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I hope all the CoD nerds have seen this video: Play thru the entire Cuba mission on Hard without firing a shot. The ending is especially hilarious!
Finally watched this. First, I thought it'd be knife only, but no, it was actually doing nothing. Brutal, and made me think about the Nintendo patent about games that play themselves.

Have no idea why the guy went off on consoles for the bad AI, but whatever, he was kinda dickish to begin with.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 6, 2010, 09:47 PM

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2010, 10:03 PM

I thought it'd involve gas, because that's how I do it in real life.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 6, 2010, 10:59 PM

You spin around really quickly when you're in a crowded room, too.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2010, 11:57 PM

Ugh...now you're going to see everyone trying to copy the technique.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2010, 01:45 AM

Seems to work pretty good.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2010, 08:17 AM

Excellent. Wonder if you still need a good network connection.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 7, 2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Seems to work pretty good.
I'd like to see it work on a room with more than 1 person.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 7, 2010, 04:43 PM

All the Prestige backgrounds.

I have to say, I partial to 8's.

15 gets super-special animation.

Oh, I've seen the Gold camos on guns (youtube). Very sexy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules