Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Mass Effect 3

Mass Effect 3
KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2012, 02:44 AM

I've waited long enough. Finally, the series conclusion is only a few weeks away and I for one can't wait. First, let's start off with the extended 3 min trailer...

Mass Effect 3 extended trailer

Amazon's giving a $10 pre-order credit.

The demo was just released for this game, however, I'm willing to wait because I'll plow through it and want more which will make me upset.

So the story takes place shortly after the last ME2 DLC named "Arrival". The reapers have attacked Earth and the tag line of the game is to "Take Earth Back." They've introduced multiplayer in this one, however, I'm not sure if it may be worth playing. Anytime a developer introduces multiplayer in a single player game, it usually doesn't turn out well, i.e. Bioshock. Considering there are multiplayer achievements on this game, I'm hoping some of you MacNNers are gonna hit this up as well. Speaking of acheivements, I just found the list...

Mass Effect 3 achievements

If you haven't had a chance to play this series, I highly recommend it as it has one of the best storylines and gameplay you'll come across.

March 6 can't get here soon enough!

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2012, 03:15 AM

I preordered it for $45 a few weeks ago. I agree it's a great series

P
Feb 22, 2012, 04:47 AM

That script leak was worrying, but honestly, I'll buy it soon enough anyway. This is the last chance I give Bioware in a long time, though - DA2 was horrible enough that it really warranted a boycott, but they get one more chance on the strength of past performance (and that ME3 is made by a different team than DA2).

This trailer paired with a Civ 5 expansion announcement that actually looks good means that I might be able to go back to Skyrim now and stop stretching it to cover this post-holidays dry spell.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I preordered it for $45 a few weeks ago.
Where?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2012, 05:25 PM

Definitely going to buy Mass Effect 3, but not necessarily right away - I need to finish off some Saint's Row 2 DLC, and I just started Assassin's Creed Revelations. I'll probably buy it end of March or beginning of April.

Originally Posted by KCrosbie
Anytime a developer introduces multiplayer in a single player game, it usually doesn't turn out well, i.e. Bioshock.
I'll have to disagree with this. I think they created a very good MP implementation in Bioshock. It fits Bioshock's style. They took the traditional TDM, domination and other game styles and modified them so that they fit the Bioshock universe.

I also think they implemented MP in Assassin's Creed in a style that fits AC and alot of gamers seem to agree with me. Which reminds me, I have to try out MP in AC:Revelations. I've only been playing the SP so far.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2012, 06:04 PM

io9 wrote an interesting article: Mass Effect is the Most Important Sci-Fi of Our Generation. Having never played ME, this was pretty interesting to me.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2012, 11:53 PM

Get an early copy of Mass Effect 3: Space Edition starting 2/23/12

BioWare is giving gamers a chance to get their hands on the game early by presenting Mass Effect 3: Space Edition, which will see copies of the game launched into space (via high altitude balloons) in San Francisco, Las Vegas, New York, London, Paris, and Berlin. These games will be trackable via GPS locators, so fans can hunt them down.
That's pretty cool!

First DLC "From Ashes" will be available on launch date

Listen to this bullshit about why DLC is available on launch date...

It takes about 3 months from "content complete" to bug-fix, certify, manufacture, and ship game discs. In that time we work on DLC.

DLC has fast cert and no mfg., so if a team works very hard, they can get a DLC done in time to enjoy it with your 1st playthrough on day 1.

On #ME3, content creators completed the game in January & moved onto the "From Ashes" DLC, free w/ the CE or you can buy seperately.
Damn EA milkin' it for what the game is worth. If I didn't love the game so much... I swear!

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2012, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Where?
Newegg.com. They ran a 2 day promo at the time

Rumor
Feb 29, 2012, 02:32 PM

I broke down and pre ordered the other day when I saw a guy wearing a N7 hoodie. Though I have still yet to finish Arkham City, Skyrim, and Space Marine. Ug.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 29, 2012, 11:22 PM

I'm trying to finish up Arkham Asylum before the 6th because I know I'm not playing anything else once it comes out.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2012, 11:37 PM

P
Mar 8, 2012, 05:11 PM

Anyone got it and played anything yet? Europe launch is tomorrow, for some reason, but the US launch has come and gone so...Anyone? Bueller? Anyone? Normally I'd jump on it, but DA2 and this Origin bullshit is making me wary.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

gradient
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2012, 06:16 PM

The reviews I've read so far are good but I think I'm going to wait for a few more before deciding to get it. I loved the first two games, but the gameplay in the 360 Demo didn't impress me and kind of soured my excitement over the launch. The controls just felt sluggish, though I have to assume it's been polished up quite a bit for the full launch.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2012, 12:15 AM

I've definitely gotten around to playing it. Here are some quick first impressions...

- First off, the attention to detail in this game is nothing short of amazing. Without giving any spoilers, let's just say the opening scene and gameplay were off the charts!
- The first hour or two of gameplay is pretty linear, but after that it opens up for exploration and missions.
- Didn't play the demo like gradient, but the controls are pretty much the same as the other two games. The main difference is being able to run infinitely, which is a nice touch when you get into battle.
- The firefights you get into with enemies are pretty damn fun. For example, I ran into a group of armored solders and one of them had a riot shield. Took out my sniper rifle and equipped fire ammunition. They have a little peep hole they look through and I blasted his head off by shooting through it. His entire head exploded. They call it a mail slot shot, lol!
- The character classes are a little more limited because they added more classes. Leveling up your characters remain pretty standard except now as your increase a certain stat, the higher the bar the higher points you need to spend to upgrade.
- I imported my ME2 character and all the big decisions I made in the previous 2 games carry into this one. This is what I think is going to give the single player experience more longevity and you wanting to run though the game more than once. After I beat this game using all renegade choices, I'm going to start over by creating a new character from scrath (maybe female Shep?) and choose more reputable choices. I'm wondering what standard choices from the first two are implemented in the game if you never played the first 2 games.

I seriously can't recommend a game more for it's overall plot, depth of alien characters and gameplay. I'm really sad knowing this is the final game of the series.

Rumor
Mar 9, 2012, 07:16 PM

Got my copy in the mail this morning. I am hoping to get some time in tonight or tomorrow.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

P
Mar 10, 2012, 08:00 PM

I bought it as well, figured I'd give them one more chance since I really like ME2. Installing it was a joke. I had to download, in order:

* The client for the place I bought it from - a beta
* An update far that client, because the link you can download is not the latest version
* The game itself
* The Origin client - again, beta
* An update for that - again, how about just putting the latest version in the official download?

After that, I had to register in Origin, pointing out that it should be the real name (which I obviously didn't use, but the wording of the text was really that) and select what ways people could find me through (email, Facebook, etc). Since I want to play single-player, I unchecked all. That was apparently not something they liked, because the first time I tried to launch the game, it asked again - again defaulting to everything on. All of this for something I will never use again beyond launching the game.

As for the game itself... It's an expansion pack to ME2. NOTHING in the engine is new. They've removed the mining thing and the loyalty missions seem to be gone as well (so far), but nothing is added. Even the major complaints of ME2 - no shortcut keys for weapons, cover system is basically broken because the cover key is shared with so many other things - have not been fixed. I don't think they touched the engine code.The one and only thing it brings is the story - so it's a good thing that it's an excellent story. Even so, it really feels like they're trying to push that final DLC for ME2 here - the story has big holes for me who didn't bother getting that.

ME3 is so far only decent - even that great story can't quite carry the game across all the idiocy EA has saddled it with and gameplay that is starting to feel repeteitive. It's actually a good thing that this is the last in the series, because they really need to reevaluate what they're doing here. Bioware has a reputation for good stories, but that's only partially true. The scripts back in the golden years were from Black Isle (later Obsidian), and on their own, Bioware has stumbled several times in their storytelling. They're in business because they used to execute well, but that is starting to crack. They're now living on their name and the ME story - neither of which will last.

P
Mar 13, 2012, 02:57 PM

But it was worth it in the end. I know that there were complaints about the ending, but I thought it fitting.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2012, 04:14 PM

Anyone use a Kinect with ME3? Is it useful?

I'm pondering setting up my Kinect.
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2012, 03:51 AM

Does anyone here even have a Kinect?

Finally getting deeper into this game as my time has been scarce.

P
Mar 29, 2012, 08:30 AM

Well, I don't want to spoil anything, but did you read the introduction text to the game? The first line?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2012, 03:51 PM

Man, the game didn't take long to ask for Disc #2. I'm only 3-4 days into the game (5-6 hours play). I guess it's because I picked the side mission. I want to get all the side missions done.

It's definitely a fun game. Love the new melee attack animations and the new graphics. The new scanning for resources is better.

I never did care for all the conversations/talking, but I'll bear it.

Killed 3-4 Brutes, but still haven't killed a Brute while it's charging. I haven't been able to create the setup without getting killed or killing the Brute without him charging.
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2012, 02:48 AM

You can go back and forth between discs, depending on which order you take each mission. My first playthough I had to change between the discs about 6 times, which was annoying.

Killing a charging Brute is easy. Just take its health down to one bar, keep your distance and let it charge. Once it does, light it up and the cheevo will pop.

On my 2nd playthough as we speak. The ending wasn't as bad as some of the whining fanboys claim it to be. Although I do hear that there's an extended cut that'll be released in the near future that'll show a lot more of what happened to a lot of the characters, which is good in my book.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2012, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Killing a charging Brute is easy. Just take its health down to one bar, keep your distance and let it charge. Once it does, light it up and the cheevo will pop.
Yeah, the only problem is your squad kills him before you. Or other distractions. I'll get one eventually.

Almost have the mailslot achievement done.

Man, do the side missions ever open up after visiting the citadel a second time. Over a dozen of them...
MacBook Pro

abby
Apr 24, 2012, 12:36 PM

i haven't played this before. i think i'm going to try. it looks very promising.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2012, 01:34 AM

Just saw this game for today is the Amazon Gold Box deal. $30! Totally worth it if you don't have it!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2012, 02:32 PM

I started the Multiplayer part of Mass Effect a couple days ago. I guess it would be better to call it 2-4 player CO-OP. You aren't playing against each other, but playing as a team against an enemy (GETH, Cerberus, or Reapers I think). It seems to take about 20 minutes to play the 10 or 11 wave missions. I've just been playing Bronze level and collecting credits for weapons and other stuff.

Now I'll have to see how it affects the single player. It seems to update the Galaxy Map Readiness and if you have a high enough MP character it sounds like you can import him to the Galaxy Map and the character counts a resource.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 25, 2012, 02:32 PM

I have to say I'm a little disappointed by how little DLC there is for this game. ME2 had a lot more DLC. So far we only have 1 SP and 1 MP DLC for ME3?
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 27, 2012, 01:12 PM

The Good ending isn't so good, if you really think about it.

I guess the endings explain partly why there is so little DLC.
MacBook Pro

P
May 27, 2012, 02:26 PM

Not sure that spoiler tags are still relevant, but:

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 30, 2012, 10:48 PM

I see Bioware is pushing the multiplayer/co-op. They just released a second DLC for the multiplayer - the Rebellion pack which includes 2 new maps, 3 new characters, a new objective type, and a few new weapons and equipment. Thing is the multiplayer is repetitive. Shooting wave upon wave of enemies to power up your character.

At least it's free DLC.
( Last edited by Leonard; May 30, 2012 at 10:55 PM. )
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2012, 10:22 PM

Not really diggin' the multiplayer. Mass Effect is meant for a single player experience.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2012, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Bioware have said that they will be fleshing out the endings a bit - will be interesting to see what they do.
Yeah, they're not going to change the ending, only expand to the ending and fill in some plot holes that fans wanted to know about.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2012, 12:52 AM

Extended cut DLC is out June 26

- It's free
- It's 1.9 gigs in size
- Extra scenes begin when you assault the Cerebus base.

Definitely going to check it out.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2012, 11:44 AM

I'll have to check it out sometime when I have time.

I'm not really sure I want to go through all those Boss fights again, though, just for new cut scenes. I could wait till the cut-scenes are on YouTube.
MacBook Pro

P
Jun 26, 2012, 01:49 PM

If you have finished it, you get a save just before

. You can load that and see the ending, or so I've been told. Haven't played yet, though - it just finished downloading, I'll get to it later.

P
Jun 26, 2012, 05:32 PM

It turns out that you do not start at that point.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game, but is all that work worth it? Like I said, I may just watch the new cutscenes on Youtube.
MacBook Pro

P
Jun 27, 2012, 03:32 PM

So I finished it now, just in time for the game. Basically, what is new:

All in all: It doesn't change anything. It plugs the big hole in the storyline and fleshes out what the three choices really mean, but the story is what it is, and there are no happy endings to be had.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2012, 04:18 PM

Ok, thanks for information. It sounds like they actually filled in some of the detail that I wanted.

( Last edited by Leonard; Jun 27, 2012 at 04:29 PM. )
MacBook Pro

P
Jun 27, 2012, 05:01 PM

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2012, 10:14 PM

I played alot of online coop so I had my readiness at just under 100% and I had collected most of the resources.

MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2012, 06:17 PM

Finally, some new single player DLC! Leviathon will be Available next week. I don't have a link, yet, I just saw the news.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2012, 07:07 PM

link http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/08/04/biowares-upcoming-leviathan-dlc-will-impact-the-mass-effect-3-ending/

There is comment in the article that you have to replay the game to play the DLC. I wonder if that is true?
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2012, 08:15 PM

I forgot that I have saved game files, though. I could go back to an old saved game file and start from there. I could start, say from the last time I was on the Citadel. I could even replay the ending if I'm going to play this DLC.
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2012, 08:13 PM

It's coming out on Aug 28. Bout time they release a single player DLC.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2012, 10:58 AM

I can't wait. I definitely grab it and play through it.

I might even go back to playing the online coop, to see the changes they did for coop.
MacBook Pro

Tyraell
Banned
Sep 21, 2012, 05:01 AM

Great series. I like it

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2012, 07:15 AM

Leviathon is half off today only for 400MS points! I've been so busy with other games, I never bought this DLC. Score!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2012, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the info... I don't think I bought it yet either.

Hopefully I can remember when I get home...
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2013, 06:36 PM

The Leviathon DLC was fun and a nice addition to the ME3 story!

I guess I'll have to get the Omega DLC.
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules