Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > If you have a first generation powerbook g4 (400/500) please read!

If you have a first generation powerbook g4 (400/500) please read!
[email protected]
Sep 4, 2002, 04:31 PM

I want to ask these people who own the first generation powerbooks (400 or 500 mhz) who also have installed (or tried to install) OS X 10.2 how their experiences went. I, myself, have been having a very frustrating one. After numerous attempts to figure out why, I have now decided that fixing this problem is beyond my knowledge (See my previous thread, if you wish, 'kernel panic and 10.2). If other people are experiencing the same problems with similar setups, I'd very much like to hear about them. If you have a first generation pb g4 and installed 10.2 fine, I would also like to hear about that. Thanks in advance,

Yaser Herrera
( Last edited by [email protected]; Nov 4, 2002 at 04:36 AM. )

one09jason
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2002, 09:15 PM

I have a first generation Ti 500, and I have to say that I haven't had any problems at all with Jaguar. However, I did go to the extreme to make sure that that would be the case.

1) I bought a retail copy, rather than using restore CDs or duplicate CDs.

2) I created a single large partition and completely formatted the drive before installing.

3) I restored my data from a PowerMac using Firewire target disk mode.

Jaguar is, however, working flawlessly for me. Best of luck.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2002, 11:02 PM

First generation 400. Did an archive and install, preserving existing settings and users, and have had no problems at all.

Jag as a whole doesn't seem as stable to me as 10.1.5, but I don't think that my observations have anything to do with the install method I used. I did a fresh install on a G4/400 AGP, and overall stability between the two machines seems to be pretty similar.

cambro
Senior User
Sep 5, 2002, 08:27 AM

I have a PBG4 400 (384 MB) and did an upgrade using a store-purchased Jag. Of course I backed up all of my data to a firewire disk....

Update went smoothly and have noticed no instability problems and am generally pleased. Feature and performance perks haven't exactly been stellar compared to 10.1.5, and I wouldn't recommend the expense (I bought this one to get 10% off my grandma's computer...). It might be just a little snappier, but that is probably due to the new GCC compiler used.

Jag did do some funky things with php and mysql that required reinstalling them. Also, Apache refuses to render the index.html or index.php files in a directory and just displays the generic file list. I think the httpd.config file is set up properly, but still a pain. These, however, aren't likely to bother most users.

I also did an update on a PBG3 400 (Pismo) without any trouble.

Hope you can figure it out soon...

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2002, 11:52 AM

Well, I guess you missed this one...
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...365#post996365

Anyway, I still haven't used my Ti500 b/c this experience has scared me enough to finally spring for an add'l HD so that I can regularly backup my entire system. My plan is to back everything up while still booted to the CD, and then attempt to boot from my HD after that is done. Frankly, I am not sure what to expect once I do boot from the HD. I am 'hoping' that my custom prefs (dock, apps, etc.) will be there, but I have serious doubts about it.

Xtraz
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2002, 10:06 PM

My Ti/500 installation went as smoothly as it possibly can. I later did an archive and install thing to hopefully make things faster.

No stability problems other than IE expectedly unexpectedly quits. And a good deal of speed increase too. I now really enjoy the OS X experience.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2002, 03:39 AM

I have a G4 400 - 640 MB ram. Previously running 10.1.5. I backed up the things I couldn't afford to lose. Ran fsck from single user mode. Then I did and archive and install with a store bought copy of jag.

I have had nothing out of the ordinary happen.

Michael

VRL
Senior User
Sep 7, 2002, 04:04 AM

Installed on G4 500 without a hitch. I'm loving 10.2

tomrock
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2002, 08:31 AM

I have a 500 with 512 megs of ram -- no problems with Jag. I did the format and install.

My wife has the 400 with 384 megs -- no problems with Jag. I think she may still have OS 9 on hers somewhere. She hasn't used it since installing 10.2.

Nephron
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2002, 07:33 PM

Ti500, clean install, single partition. Data restored from external Firewire HD. No problems.

Cheers!

PBG4 User
Senior User
Sep 9, 2002, 10:07 AM

Did an upgrade install on my PBG4-500 (768MB RAM)from the CDs that Apple sent me. For some reason, while the archive and install feature was available to me, the save settings checkbox was disabled, which is why I did the upgrade install.

The upgrade went fine. There was a little speedup in the finder, and I like the more subdued UI widgets of Jaguar more than 10.1.

The only problem I have is with BlueJ, which is a Java IDE programmed in Java. Since upgrading, BlueJ can't run for > 5 minutes without locking up hard on me.

Other than BlueJ, everything's worked like a charm. When I get more time, I'll probably do an archive and install so I can keep all the foreign language and printer driver files from taking up disk space.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2002, 03:52 AM

I have a G4/400 w/ only 128 megs of ram and it loaded fine...not problems at all...

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2002, 10:41 PM

I was inspired to search for topics on this, since I saw a news item on k10k.net stating the following:
Sorry for the no updates this weekend - been busy with OS X stuff ... Speaking of which - it turns out the slowmo experience we've had with OS X Jaguar are partially our own fault.
If you read the fine-print on the Jaguar box, it says that the system requirements are a 16 MB graphics card - and, lo & behold, are 1st generation tibooks only have 8 MB.
SO ... if you have a 1st generation tibook, our advice is to NOT upgrade. It's just not worth it.
I am assuming that this is your problem...?

I have a first gen Ti 400 with a 8mb video card, so I'm hesitant...

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2002, 11:30 PM

I don't know how the hell this got double posted so long afterwards...
( Last edited by cpatubo; Sep 17, 2002 at 04:01 PM. )

sfederman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2002, 12:15 AM

I've installed Jaguar on my 1st generation Ti-400 (384 MB) with no problems...

-Scot

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 01:08 AM

installed upgrade on a Ti 400 w/ 512 RAM
works great, but i understand what other people on here say about 8Mb video card...does kinda suck

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2002, 03:05 AM

Courtney, your PowerBook will benefit from a few optimizations in 10.2, but it won't benefit from Quartz Extreme. That's all. 10.2 is a bit more reliable and offers more extensive networking features with Windows-based computers. IM me sometime.

The Dude
Banned
Sep 17, 2002, 09:43 AM

I think of a lot of you are just being a little too silly here.

I installed Jag on my dear old (POS) Pismo/400, and you know what? It's pretty f'ing good! Now, imagine a newer motherboard, bigger display, and an AltiVec tied on for good measure . Badda bing, you have a TiBook.

Quartz Extreme accounts for a lot of Jag's snappiness, but you'd be surprised what it can do with machines that don't take advantage of it. Hell, Jag runs nicely on Rev.B iMac fer chris'sake!

As has been the case with OS X from the start, just be sure you have enough RAM. 256+.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2002, 10:28 PM

Agreed. 10.2 runs well on the Pismo PowerBook...

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2002, 12:47 AM

I installed Jaguar on my first gen Ti 400 yesterday, and all was fine.

Until tonight. It randomly started acting up... the screen went all wonky, and there were these weird horizontal lines spreading all up and down the screen. Every time I tried to reboot, I couldn't recognize the screen at all. It was all funky-technicolored and had the lines still.

I booted up from and ran the Hardare Test CD with no problem. Everything tested out a-ok. Try to reboot back into 10.2, startup screen shows, but eventually regresses into the wonky state.

Here it is:

Verdict? Back to 10.1 for me.

Ecuguru
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2002, 12:59 AM

A buddy of mine was struggling with reinstalling osx onto his machine as well, specifically jag..

The only thing different between his old setup (which the install of osx 10.0 went perfectly) and the jag upgrade was a 256 meg ram chip that he had installed. (Non apple ram, but it was fine in os 9 and 10.0).

After he pulled it out everything was happy and jag installed cleanly..
He had kernal errors left and right..
The wireless card caused some probs too.. I expect that you pulled out anything else u have plugged into it..?

I'd check ur ram..
tim

lx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2002, 05:48 PM

1st gen Ti400, 1 GB ram, no problems with Jag....

Simply did an upgrade install with retail disks. Works like a dream.

Only issues I've seen have been the 'running on reserve power' bugs. Even my previous self-compiled Samba server and config files still worked (which surprised me, since Jag pulls SMB server inhouse)

One really weird effect I've had: previously (10.0 to 10.1.5) the bottom left corner of the LCD would randomly flicker, losing about 10% brightness about 5-10 times per second. I put it down to a hardware glitch or dodgy ribbon cable, as this is where the screen ribbon goes (if I remember rightly).
On upgrading to 10.2, this flickering has gone. Obviously was previously shoddy display drivers. Either that, or Jagwire can walk on water as well as fix dodgy hardware

JohnD
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2002, 02:49 PM

Ti400/640 with 10.2.1 and no problems.
Running Jag ever since the box came out.
Upgraded all the time from 10.0
The only thing not working is the software update log

Sorry for your trouble CPATUBO.

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2002, 03:18 PM

TiBook 400, 512MB RAM. I backed up my entire hard drive on an external FW drive, then did a reformat, partition, and clean install of 9.2.2 and 10.2.1. (I'm still running quite a few things in Classic). It's been working fine for me, more stable and a little quicker than 10.1.5. It quit recognizing the FW drive last night, but I haven't figured that problem out yet so can't attribute it to Jaguar. I did use the FW drive flawlessly for a couple days while I transferred all the old settings to the new OS.

MM
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2002, 05:43 PM

PBti 400/384 MB/10 GB works like a champ, no problem during instaling. OS X is getting better and better,

Good luck,

Titom
Nov 3, 2002, 10:25 PM

Ti400 512 ram upgraded just fine.. a little faster, nice tweaks all over.. I did have to turn down the display just a hair .. screen flicker with jag in lower left corner.. now ok.. do the upgrade.. I like it :-)

Too bad I lost my firewire port.. I understand it's a common problem.

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2002, 04:13 AM

Originally posted by The Dude:
I think of a lot of you are just being a little too silly here.

I installed Jag on my dear old (POS) Pismo/400, and you know what? It's pretty f'ing good! Now, imagine a newer motherboard, bigger display, and an AltiVec tied on for good measure . Badda bing, you have a TiBook.
Two words- Newer Tech G4/500 upgrade. Wait, that was more than two words. Oh well. Still it true!

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2002, 12:01 AM

Everything has been alright since I re-formatted and reinstalled 9.2.2 and 10.1.5. Until a few weeks ago.

Something musta been wonky with my display... my Ti started acting up in the same way mentioned above, but in BOTH 9.2.2 and 10.1.5. I did associate the problem as starting when I tried to install 10.2, but who knows.

Sent the Ti in to AppleCare (bless them) and it came back with a replaced display. Everything's peachy now, but I'm still leery about trying to install 10.2 again.

Is there any option to NOT install Quartz Extreme with 10.2? I think this may be the problem. Suggestions? Advice? Smacks in the face?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2002, 12:36 AM

Nope. There's an option to disable it in the terminal, but it's automatically turned off on machines that don't support Quartz Extreme in the first place such as your 400-megahertz TiBook. The original TiBooks' Rage 128 Mobility does not support Quartz Extreme, so you need not do anything to disable Quartz Extreme anyway.

I say you give 10.2 another chance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules