Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Sony-Ericsson w810i ...Any thoughts?

Sony-Ericsson w810i ...Any thoughts?
damiensmunki
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2006, 09:32 AM

So...I just got a new Mac Pro, and now (of course) I need a new phone! Have been looking into the k790a, but I've decided it's a bit too expensive for a phone that's not quad-band. I have a great, small camera anyway. What do you guys think of the w810i? Call performance and UI are the biggest deals for me. I have a camera, and I have an 80GB iPod. Just need a phone with BT, good call quality, and good UI. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Rob

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2006, 07:41 PM

great phone, good reception, awesome battery life.
we don't have time to stop for gas

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2006, 11:13 PM

The only negatives I have heard are that 1. earpiece volume is a tad low and 2. some hiss during mp3 playback. I really want one too, it would replace my nokia 6230. I think amazon is selling them for $350. I'd trust Amazon, some of the other places selling them sound sketchy--replacing memory cards with fakes, shipping phones with middle eastern language packs, etc...

ajbaker
Sep 21, 2006, 04:31 PM

Definately one of the best phones produced by Sony Ericsson. I had mine to replace a 1.5 year old K700 because the joystick had broken. I cannot guarantee the 810 will be perfect in 1.5 years time but there are no exposed parts such as the joystick to break. The interface continues to improve over time, and is responsive and intuitive.

One thing I have noticed is the earpiece sound appears to be quite directional. When holding it to your ear, it can be difficult to hear unless held at a certain height - unusual I know, and it doesnt happen all of the time - just something I have noticed.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Sep 21, 2006, 04:57 PM

I don't know why SE even includes a camera on this phone, since it is just going to be a dirt magnet. In a short period of time the camera will become useless, as it will become scratched and dirty, constantly picking up dirt and other crap. A simple and cheap lens cover mechanism, such as what is used on the W800 or K750 would have solved this dilemna.

For people who don't care about the 2MP camera included in this phone, it is an otherwise awesome choice.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by im_noahselby
I don't know why SE even includes a camera on this phone, since it is just going to be a dirt magnet. In a short period of time the camera will become useless, as it will become scratched and dirty, constantly picking up dirt and other crap.
Yes, it will get dusty, no, it won't get "ruined". Just don't it in the same pocket as your keys! The dust doesn't even show up in your pictures. My lens is doing just fine after 4 months. The camera is half the reason I bought the W810i. Get a nice microfiber cloth and wipe it off every now 'n' then.

Yeah, the earpiece could be louder. I don't think I've ever used a cell phone that had one that went up TOO loud though.

There is a little bit of noise when playing audio, but I guarantee you won't hear it unless you're sitting in a perfectly quiet room and even then it's hardly annoying.

SE phones have the best UI out there so you won't go wrong with any of their recent models, but I can vouch for the W810i as a pretty nice phone. Along with the intuitive UI, if you learn the various key shortcuts you'll be able to do things very fast.

It's also natively supported in iSync so you're good to go with your Mac.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 12:12 PM

Pretty much all SE phones are the best on the market for: Battery life, OS, design and mac compatibility.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 06:47 PM

I recently got this phone as i really needed the quad band. It's very solid and the camera lens is recessed enough that i don't worry about it too much. I actually use the walkman all the time - the sound quality is pretty good - certainly loud enough and quite clear (no hiss).

I know some people have decided to change the back plate and battery cover with the k750 so they can have the sliding lens cover. I'm on the fence about this as I'm not sure I like the look.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Sep 23, 2006, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by paul w
I know some people have decided to change the back plate and battery cover with the k750 so they can have the sliding lens cover. I'm on the fence about this as I'm not sure I like the look.
Do you have a link? I'd be interested in seeing this...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Arju
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2006, 11:53 AM

My buddy has this phone and its pretty sweet... haven't used it with a Mac though.
Notebook: MacBook White 2.0Ghz | 2GB RAM | 120GB HD | Superdrive
HTPC: AMD 3800X2 | Asus A8N-SLI Premium | 2GB RAM | Asus N7800GT | 900+ GB of Storage | Sony 60" Grand WEGA
iPod Video 80GB

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by im_noahselby
Do you have a link? I'd be interested in seeing this...

Noah
howardforums has been slow/not working lately but details on the mod can be found here:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=919747

im_noahselby
Senior User
Sep 23, 2006, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
howardforums has been slow/not working lately but details on the mod can be found here:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=919747
Wow that's really cool. That modification looks sweet! Thanks for the link.

I still think it is sad though, that owners have to go to this much trouble after purchasing a $400+ camera phone. It just doesn't make sense not to have a lens cover, or some mechanism to protect the lens.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Forum Links
Forum Rules