Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther First Impressions

Panther First Impressions (Page 7)
OreoCookie
Jun 26, 2003, 11:36 AM

One specific question: can you print in reverse order? Odd and even pages?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by moki:
No, it is not Cocoa. The Finder is a .nib-based Carbon application in Panther.
If its .nib based, can you open these up and mess with the interface (ie metal off) like you can in cocoa apps?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by MasonMcD:
Regarding VNC, no, you cannot. VNC scrapes the screen, so you are just looking at user2.

Not sure about the second item, but I suspect similar to the first.
Did you actually try this, are you just saying it? Because OSXvnc-server does not just 'scrape the screen', it calls APIs that return screen contents.

FYI, if you try this in 10.2 (with a command-line VNC server), it complains because it doesn't have privileges to connect to the current screen. It certainly does not return 'user2's screen; I consider the least likely of possible outcomes.

Pete Nardi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by jokell82:
Actually, he's right. Regardless of how you get Panther, it should not be installed on a machine that you need to be up 100%. There is a very good possibility that something will go wrong and you could lose lots of data. This is for testing only, not for full time use... And installing it for other people who may not be technically savvy is just asking for something disasterous to happen.

And that has nothing to do with whether or not you pirated the software. That's a completely different issue.
Piracy aside, this is an excellent point. All these folks piling on this beta will be the first ones to "blame" it for loss of their data. Remember the nasty bug in the Safari beta that was trashing peoples' home directories?

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2003, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Pete Nardi:
Piracy aside, this is an excellent point. All these folks piling on this beta will be the first ones to "blame" it for loss of their data. Remember the nasty bug in the Safari beta that was trashing peoples' home directories?
Never heard of that one. I think your getting confused with the iTunes installer bug

lazydesert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by jimcpherson:
Sorry if this a repeat question, but how does Expos� perform on a dual monitor setup?
It brings them all back to the primary monitor.
lazydesert

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by AJ:
Never heard of that one. I think your getting confused with the iTunes installer bug
No, there was a pretty sinky bug with Beta 1, that was fixed in a secondary Beta 1 release. It would definitely wipe out your home directory, in some circumstances where you quit a download in the middle.

jaysones
Jun 26, 2003, 02:10 PM

Other observations-

Pierre B.- OpenGL is at 1.2.5. It's very fast. I haven't benchmarked anything yet, but I'm pretty critical, and I can play Unreal Tournament at a higher resolution than under Jaguar, and, even then, it's perceptibly faster.

VirtualPC is much, much more usable. I hated using it under Jaguar because it would bog the whole system down, especially while quitting. Not anymore. I forgot it was running all morning, and when I quit it, I used other apps with no nearly performance hit while it saved and quit. Previously, it would nearly lock up my system until it was done.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2003, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by sushiism:
noo i didnt mean it was mispelt i mean it was placed a bit dodgy, its like half to the right of the buttons too, (the buttons which clearly dont just go back �_�
This is how it looks to me, 'Back', 'View' and 'Action' all look slightly off-centre relative to their corresponding buttons.

And it's true, here's a screenshot:

Haven't tried to load a word document, though.
Yes it loads and saves fine, simple Word documents seem to translate nicely. This is great, very useful for those who don't have Office. (Most of my usage of Word is just to open other people's simple documents.)

Originally posted by hellmachine:
my first downer:
camino don�t work anymore :-(
it just can�t access render any html.
i deleted all prefs etc.
now i have to use netscape for browserchecks.
camino had a smaller footprint...
That's weird, Camino 0.7 works fine for me. See here.

Originally posted by conny:
I guess I can answer my own question since I found this screenshot in another thread. The left pane is not hidden but I guess that is a smaller issue.
Someone might have mentioned this, but you can close the left pane completely. Also, clicking the top-right 'lozenge' will collapse both the left pane and the iconbar.

Originally posted by lookmark:
This unification (and a few other Panther hints) make me curious if they're going to open up Panther to users being able to choose Aqua or Metal, either across the system or app-by-app.
You'd think so, eh? But I suspect Stev... I mean Apple, have other ideas

Toyin
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 03:12 PM

-
( Last edited by Toyin; Jun 27, 2003 at 12:20 AM. )
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

BannanaFiend
Jun 26, 2003, 04:51 PM

A bit of good news that I've not seen mentioned:

Spring-loaded folders in column view are much better. Instead of opening a new window (with varying results as in Jag), it just springs open the folder in the next column. The toolbar items on the left are spring loaded in this manner too,

Additionally, when you switch off the toolbars with the pill in the upper right of a Finder window, it becomes propperly spatial ala os 9 (so far as I've seen; there could very well be some problems). One caveat here, when using spring loaded folders in this mode, the folders that spring up are in full toolbar mode, and sometimes not in the same view as the current window. I'd expect this is just an oversight, and will be corrected.

If memory serves, in Jag, if you double clicked on a folder to open a new one, then did it again, you would have two folders of the same window. This is not the case in Panther. Opening a folder that already has an open window results in the folder's original window being brought to the front.

The new finder is shaping up to be a real winner. My only complaints are the horrible method of label selection from within a menu (it should be a submenu like in OS 9, not this guideline-breaking horizontal selection crap), and the brushed metal interface. I think the former may be fixed for the final, but the latter, probably not. On the whole though, A+ excellent.
( Last edited by BannanaFiend; Jun 26, 2003 at 04:59 PM. )
A history: Powerbook 15" 1.5 Ghz, Quickilver 1.2MP, iBook 600 DVD, Beige G3 266, Performa 638CD, Quadra 610 w/CD

Pete Nardi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by AJ:
Nope it was Safari. MacNN even reported it (http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=18021)

Pete

Pete Nardi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 05:36 PM

Sorry if this one's been asked, but anyone runnning Panther notice any change to the installed apps (other than Mail)? I heard there's now auto-formatting of phone numbers in address book (a welcome addition). I'm specifically interested in iCal - has it improved? Have they added a snooze feature?

Thanks to all you Panther-Pioneers for answering these questions

Pete

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Jun 26, 2003, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by jimcpherson:
Sorry if this a repeat question, but how does Expos� perform on a dual monitor setup?
I strongly second that question... I use a 3-display setup and am curious how it would act...

While I'm thinking of it... I wonder what happens during a "Fast User Switch" with multiple monitors...? do they ALL rotate as individual cubes...? or does it revert to the quick change without the fancy transition...?

Hmmmm... would be curious to hear, if anyone knows.

Thanks...

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by jaysones:
Other observations-

Pierre B.- OpenGL is at 1.2.5. It's very fast. I haven't benchmarked anything yet, but I'm pretty critical, and I can play Unreal Tournament at a higher resolution than under Jaguar, and, even then, it's perceptibly faster.
This is great to hear.. I was worried that it wouldn't even run. I get pretty dismal performance in 10.2 on my quicksilver 733 in UT. Do you have any more specific details in terms of the fps boost from going to 10.3? What kinda computer do you have?

Thanks

nerd
Senior User
Jun 26, 2003, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by TC:
I just connected to a PC disk from my machine.
It didn't show up in the network folder and I had to add it manually. After I had it showed up next to all the other disks on my machine.
Will you try to copy some files with the "special characters" in them such as "& [ ] { }" and let us know if it's fixed? I'm assuming it must be if a user folder can now easily reside on a windows share via active directory. Jaguar chokes when copying over files with these characters and even when the file has a space before a "." like " .".

Thanks

Brad

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Oh shut up. Apple probably enjoys the leakage now, like posting the G5 specs. Has anyone noticed their stock has shot up this week since they got tongues waggling?

The more people speak, the better for Apple as a business and the more free promotion it is. You can only install OSX on a Mac anyway so it's not near the kind of loss that software companies experience on the PC. And pirated betas are a zero loss, they cost nothing to the people who recieved them in the first place.

BTW, I am not downloading and installing any beta OS.
Umm, yeah, the only people who are "talking about it" are serious Mac-heads. Apple already has you hooked -- their objective is to get new people hooked on the brand.

Any average Mac user still has no idea what Panther is or what features it contains. Geez, I still work with people who barely understand how OS 9 works, let alone OS X.

Your cost justification for pirated beta software may be true, but ethically and legally, you are still liable for your actions and can be prosecuted. Not to mention the whole bad karma thing...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by BannanaFiend:
A bit of good news that I've not seen mentioned:

Spring-loaded folders in column view are much better. Instead of opening a new window (with varying results as in Jag), it just springs open the folder in the next column. The toolbar items on the left are spring loaded in this manner too,

Additionally, when you switch off the toolbars with the pill in the upper right of a Finder window, it becomes propperly spatial ala os 9 (so far as I've seen; there could very well be some problems). One caveat here, when using spring loaded folders in this mode, the folders that spring up are in full toolbar mode, and sometimes not in the same view as the current window. I'd expect this is just an oversight, and will be corrected.

If memory serves, in Jag, if you double clicked on a folder to open a new one, then did it again, you would have two folders of the same window. This is not the case in Panther. Opening a folder that already has an open window results in the folder's original window being brought to the front.

The new finder is shaping up to be a real winner. My only complaints are the horrible method of label selection from within a menu (it should be a submenu like in OS 9, not this guideline-breaking horizontal selection crap), and the brushed metal interface. I think the former may be fixed for the final, but the latter, probably not. On the whole though, A+ excellent.
Make a new folder in list view though and you still can not edit name at once

BannanaFiend
Jun 26, 2003, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by Busemann:
Make a new folder in list view though and you still can not edit name at once
Hmm... I had never noticed that before. Strange that it hasn't been fixed yet.
A history: Powerbook 15" 1.5 Ghz, Quickilver 1.2MP, iBook 600 DVD, Beige G3 266, Performa 638CD, Quadra 610 w/CD

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2003, 11:20 PM

Anyone with print problems, especially gimp/foomatic thingies working on ghostscript, kind of stuff from linuxprinting.org?

Michael_Jackson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2003, 12:10 AM

I was bitching about Panther recently, but I've recently had the chance to try it out. Expos� is definitely awesome. I love flipping through all those windows, watching them fly around, and sometimes i pretend i'm doing something productive. now all i need is a special glove thing like tom cruise uses in minority report.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by kelix:
apple has put a few more of those "mysterious" sounds back into the Os.. remeber the trash can throw???
You mean it sings, "I love trash..." again? Dang. That was my favorite part of System 7.5!

wreising
Jun 27, 2003, 01:53 AM

Ok, so after pleading with my recently back from WWDC buddy to let met install Panther for him on his 500mhz PB G4, I have a couple of notes to share with you.

First off, Panther is not snappy. OS 9 was snappy. Panther is so fast at everything that I have tried that I kind of jump and go "Whoa!" a lot.

It is so fast that after 30 minuets with it I don't know how I will go back to Jaguar. I'm doomed until the fall...

Plus, the system as a whole simply beautiful. I don't know why people bag on Metal. Panther is perfect. It is what OS X was born to be.

Did I mention that it is blazing fast?

This is on a 500mhz G4 with no Quartz Extreme. I can't wait to see how fast it is on a new G5.

There are of course a couple or rough edges, but this is DP1.

All in all, Apple could ship this now and we would all be so happy with what is here and how FAST it is that the rough edges wouldn't matter.

My advice is to stay away from anyone with Panther or you will hate the next 3-6 months on Jaguar.
A beautiful woman who is not a fool is a dangerous thing.
- Nero Wolfe

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2003, 01:59 AM

Just for Sh�ts and Giggles install 10.2 from scratch and you will be amazed how fast everything is.

Things slow down over time.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2003, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Just for Sh�ts and Giggles install 10.2 from scratch and you will be amazed how fast everything is.

Things slow down over time.
I think this is only true for people that run lots of hacks and test a ton of stuff, especially hardware-related drivers/kext's/etc.

I have Jaguar running on the same install since it came out on one G4 and recently just for testing wiped the whole disk and did a clean and fresh install. The new install was NOT faster.

After all, this is not Windows my friend.

Just keep your prefs clean, your permissions fixed and don't install too much (quick and dirty hacked together) toy crap.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2003, 09:06 AM

I am seriously amazed by all these improvements in Panther mentioned here. Thanks to all for wetting some appetites. This means I can possibly use Panther on both my 667 TiPB and my trusty old Lombard 333MHz G3.

The bugs, especially those related to multiple simultaneous users and security (this is critical for labs, companies etc and could defintely be the source of some major vulnerabilities) will probably be ironed out by the time Panther gets released I assume. Kudos to Apple for some very cool features.
weird wabbit

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 27, 2003, 10:04 AM

Anybody do a before and after Xbench yet? The CPU speeds won't change, but perhaps the graphics benches will (particularly with OpenGL) since people are saying it's so much Snappier� in Panther.

Originally posted by gthyb:
nothing of mine was removed.
Including IE?

Save Dialogs:
I've been waiting for that left menu since X.1. I could live without it in the Finder, but it drove me up the wall in the Save Dialogue boxes.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jun 27, 2003 at 10:22 AM. )

Richard5mith
Jun 27, 2003, 10:33 AM

Does anybody know if this is going to show up on the ADC download page for Select members? Since not all of us could make it to WWDC.

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet...
http://www.allapple.com - all apple, all the time

JLL
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2003, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by Richard5mith:
Does anybody know if this is going to show up on the ADC download page for Select members? Since not all of us could make it to WWDC.

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet...
Apple will send you Panther on CDs.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2003, 10:59 AM

Addressbook and Mail.app pictures?

Are they working again?

Please?

Please?

BZ

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2003, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Including IE?
Nothing of mine was removed either.

Apparently IE was 'touched' (modified) by the install (as were iCal and iSync). It's version 5.2.2, but I'm not sure whether I had previously updated it from 5.2.1 or not (seems unlikely it would be updated by the install though). I'm not really fussed, since I never use it anyway

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by JLL:
And YOU just broke your NDA*

*not the only one here though

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2003, 11:55 AM

Just for fun, try opening a Microsoft Word document in TextEdit.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2003, 12:18 PM

And YOU just broke your NDA*

*not the only one here though
How is telling someone that Apple will send them Panther on CD's breaking an NDA?

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2003, 12:28 PM

I've got a few questions about the new DVD player:

1) Does it support screen captures?

2) Does the movie still play when Expose is enabled?

3) Is the info window the same? It looks like some of its functionality has been incorporated into the player controls.

Thanks.

Richard5mith
Jun 27, 2003, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by JLL:
Thanks. Only been a registered developer for a few weeks, so I don't know how these things normally work.
http://www.allapple.com - all apple, all the time

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2003, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
How is telling someone that Apple will send them Panther on CD's breaking an NDA?
Is Busemann under NDA in the first place? Or is it just so tempting to talk about it since so many are?

Anyway, I hope the seedings are a lot more frequent than the Jaguar ones... I'm really looking forward to tracking the progress of this major update, especially since it has been described as a lightweight system

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by naphtali:
Is Busemann under NDA in the first place? Or is it just so tempting to talk about it since so many are?
Naa I'm not under NDA, but if I was I would respect it
( Last edited by Busemann; Jun 27, 2003 at 02:12 PM. )

JLL
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2003, 02:24 PM

It's common knowledge that prerelease versions of Mac OS X are seeded to ADC members and it's probably mentioned several times on developer.apple.com - I know it's mentioned in the weekly email news which are also available on the web.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

wwworry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2003, 06:01 PM

this might seem like a dumb question but most of the improvements in panther seem to be application related: ichat, finder, font handling, faxing etc. I know a unix based operating system breaks down it's functions into small applications.

What improvements are there that are not application specific?

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by JLFanboy:
I've got a few questions about the new DVD player:

1) Does it support screen captures?

2) Does the movie still play when Expose is enabled?

3) Is the info window the same? It looks like some of its functionality has been incorporated into the player controls.

Thanks.
1) Nope
2) Yes (although not well...either because of the early beta status, or because I don't have QE, dunno)
3) Yep, same thing.

Also, you can now bookmark spots on a disc for easy retrieval.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 27, 2003, 07:29 PM

This was my response to a Panther review posted on my university's MUG email list.

Note that all my comments below refer to Panther running on a Blue and White G3 (Rev B) on a 5400RPM 10GB Maxtor IDE drive, 448MB RAM, 1280x960px CRT, Apple Pro Mouse, MS Internet Keyboard Pro (whose "Mac OS X 10.1-10.1.4" compatible driver works fine in Jag and Panther).

At 11:26 AM -0400 6/27/03, [name removed] wrote:
>After installing WWDC Panther on my 17" PowerBook, my thoughts:

>-Bluetooth isn't functioning

No bluetooth gear to test, can't comment

>-Fast user switching is neat but for me isn't useful

It gives you the option to quasi-log-out, returning you to the login panel, thus securing the machine, without quitting your apps, which I could see as useful in a family or office. Note that on my Blue G3/350, which obviously doesn't support Quartz Extreme, it doesn't even attempt to do a cube transition -- it just switches.

>-File encryption supposedly works behind the scenes so who knows if it does anything anyway

haven't tested that yet

>-the password requirement on wake from sleep crashes the system

haven't tested that yet

>-Mail is super spiffy and nice

Mail.app isn't my normal IMAP client (Entourage) nor my normal POP client (Eudora), but I tried it briefly as IMAP with my school email account and it seems a bit nicer than the old one

>-Font book is a nice improvement

haven't tested that yet

>-Classic menu item adds quick access to the OS9 apple menu

haven't tested that yet -- I don't have Classic installed on that machine. But at least it adds a menu bar menu for quick Classic launching/quitting. (All grayed out on mine, of course.)

>-the os is SLOW!

SOME parts of the OS are slow, overall, on my Blue G3/350, it's faster than Jaguar. In particular, menus are infinitely more responsive -- they are now at OS 9 levels. Finder windows open more quickly, too. There are some things that take longer, but that's really not fair to judge, since they have plenty of time to fix it. (The only thing that consistently seems to be taking longer on Panther is bringing up an Open/Save dialog. That said, thank goodness that the new Open/Save dialog has a very Mac OS 9-like list view as the default!!)

Sheets and other window animations seem to be designed to go faster. They're also smoother than in Jag.

Speaking of animations, Panther uses a scroll acceleration curve when you page scroll (either by clicking in the scroll bar outside of the thumb, clicking the scroll arrows, or by using the keyboard). Rather than just moving there directly, it uses Windows-like "i'll slide to where you want to go" animation.

>-the brushed metal finder is gross

I like that the brushed metal Finder finally adds a border around the window, so I can move the window from any edge (something I sorely miss from OS 9). It is also consistent with the Aqua HIG that state that you use Aqua windows for document-centric apps, and brushed metal for apps that don't create documents, e.g. utilities. I like it. Although i still want the SPATIAL Finder to come back.

>-my existing keychain was FUBAR-ed by Panther

I did a clean install, so I can't comment.

>-SMB is more stable

haven't tested that yet, don't have a Windows box

>-new aqua doesnt make me want to lick the screen anymore

The pinstripes were cool; so is this if you ask me.

However, one thing that kinda irks me: the new replacements for tabs. (Panther uses a button bar instead of tabs... the ONLY visual feedback as to which button is activated is color [and in the Graphite appearance, only the luminosity], there is no tab that comes to the front, or a button that is visibly indented. Very bad usability to have color be the only cue. The main problem is that for a new user, on tab-button-bar-things with only 2 buttons, it may be unclear which is the selected one: the blue one or the "clear" one? On graphite it's worse: the light one or the dark one? Either could be correct.) The funny thing is, I like the look of those button-tabs; I just don't think they are as intuitive for newbies.

>-system pref app sometimes wont launch

Haven't had that problem.

>-panther killed adobe's acrobat reader

Haven't tested that, will do.

>-panther installes iTunes 4.0.1, i want 4.0.0 back

You could have de-selected "Additional Applications" from the Panther install. If you have iTunes 4.0.0 installed on another mac, you can just drag it over, it will peacefully co-exist with 4.0.1. Just don't launch them both simultaneously!

I have the iTunes 4.0.0 installer if you need it.

>-toast quits immediately after being launched

Same here. I guess that's what 5.3 will be for.

>-IPv6 support built in and accessable in network pref pane

I saw that, and was very impressed. I was even more impressed that, after YEARS of asking for it, there's finally a "Renew DHCP lease" button. And GUI-configurable *manual* ethernet settings: speed, half/full duplex, MTU!

>-VPN support built in internet connect app

haven't tested that yet

>-support for printing to windows shared printers

Don't have a windows box to test this with.

>-more CPU intensive then Jaguar

I haven't found that to be the case at all, quite the contrary, on my blue G3, CPU usage has been appreciably lower. Either way, it's not fair to judge speed yet.

Stuff to add:

-Installing Panther activates HFS+ Journaling!!! So don't even think of running Norton Disk Doctor Kevorkian on your Panther drive (not that I think you should be running NDD on ANY Mac drive), you'll either kernel panic (as NDD does on journaled volumes in Jag), or at minimum erase the journal. Use DiskWarrior instead, it's not only journaling-aware, it will use the journal in data recovery.

-Disk Utility has Disk Copy and Apple Software Restore functionality built in! It offers the option to restore from a file, disk or URL (!).

-DESKTOP PRINTING IS BACK! YAY YAY YAY! (Can you tell that I missed it?)

-it also makes setting printing defaults easier, and adds a "reverse print order" checkbox which is, IMHO, an essential feature for any printer that lays printed pages on top of each other (as in an inkjet) rather than under each other (as in a laser)

-Printer sharing is enhanced, and apparently you can share out a machine as a fax server (haven't tried this, the fax panel is kinda buggy, with menus drawing incorrectly and stuff).

-Menus and sheets are a LOT faster. (Had to mention this twice!)

-the new Preview really is easily 5-10 times as fast as the old one.

-I don't like the way labels are implemented, nor the way icons are selected. That blobby text background is too goofy.

-It finally lets me access ALL the screen resolutions that my CRT supports, such as 1280x960@90Hz (formerly only 75HZ possible)

-You can assign keyboard shortcuts to launch anything.

-Expos� works. Since my machine doesn't support Quartz Extreme, the animation is very choppy, but it does work as promised.

-Energy Saver finally has scheduled power up/power down again!

-Software update, after installing something, now checks the server again to see if the update you installed now allows you to install further updates.

-On my blue G3, it won't mount any optical disc that was in the drive on startup... it needs to be ejected and then reinserted. This I assume will be fixed.

-The new DVD player is really nice. It finally supports reading out closed captioning, and by default displays the captions when you use the [also new] Mute function. That said, the DVD player is quite buggy still (some of the effects look like they're designed with Quartz Extreme in mind, and haven't yet been debugged on non-QE machines). No sign as to whether AC-3 or DTS audio will be sent to the G5's optical audio port.

-top is now more informative, has live parameter changes. Presumably this is part of the FreeBSD 5 code influx.

-The new Activity Monitor (live process listing, network activity, memory usage, disk activity, disk usage, CPU usage) is awesome.

-MS Office seems to work fine.

Things I can't test at the moment:

-Does it fix OS X 10.2.4-10.2.6's severe hot-plug-ATA issues? (Read: kernel panics when inserting/removing PC Card flash cards and PowerBook G3 media bay devices.)

tooki

Guy Incognito 2
Banned
Jun 27, 2003, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Although i still want the SPATIAL Finder to come back.
It's back...just hit the 'toolbar' widget and you've got classic Finder...spatialness in all it's glory.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 27, 2003, 07:58 PM

No, it's not. Even with the Finder in "classic" mode, you can have two windows for the same folder. In the truly spatial Finder (e.g. Classic Mac OS), it's impossible to have two windows to the same folder (it won't even let you do that in list view), just as it's impossible in real life for an object to exist in two places at once.

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 27, 2003, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
Well if it's not, they imitate it very well. I'm prett sure it is, because the finder is a .app package.
The .app extension is not just for Cocoa apps.

Even some OS 9-compatible Carbon apps use it -- look at the omnipresent Toast Titanium, it's a .app, and I assure you, it runs under OS 9, so there is no way it can be Cocoa.

As it is, Carbon and Cocoa are being merged... all the features that only one of the two has are being copied to the other, and then later they'll become one. (Yes, if you want a Carbon app to run in OS 9, you'll need to not use the OS X-only calls.)

tooki

Guy Incognito 2
Banned
Jun 27, 2003, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
No, it's not. Even with the Finder in "classic" mode, you can have two windows for the same folder. In the truly spatial Finder (e.g. Classic Mac OS), it's impossible to have two windows to the same folder (it won't even let you do that in list view), just as it's impossible in real life for an object to exist in two places at once.

tooki
Are we talking about Jag or Panther? Because once you hit that toolbar widget in Panther, the Finder is spatial. It's impossible to get a Folder to open two window instances.

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2003, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by LightWaver-67:
Wait... just for clarification: Are you saying that there is finally FTP in the finder that WORKS...? Can I connect and WRITE to FTP servers...?
Been working for me all the time in 'Jagwire'?
Use it all the time with both a linux and Windows 2000 server on the LAN.

I did notice though, that it cant do special characters.

wreising
Jun 27, 2003, 09:15 PM

Couple more notes to add:

- You can change the icon for the Utilities folder

- When you add a file or App to a folder on the left it does a kind of Genie/Scale effect to kind of fall into the new folder - subtle and very cool

- Diskwarrior reports Volumes created by Panther as "Pure HFS Extended" - which I assume means Journaled

- There is a lot more attention to detail - except for the boring old Home folder icons everything seems to have been updated

- No File Vault yet
A beautiful woman who is not a fool is a dangerous thing.
- Nero Wolfe

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2003, 09:30 PM

I would also like to know how expose handles dual or more monitors, do they all the cube transision?

And for the multiuser thingy, if you copy somthing (Be that text or a picture) and switch user, does the copied text/picture go with it, or does each user has its own drawer?

And could someone please do an OpenGL comparison between 10.3DP1 and 10.2.6? Same setup/game/etc.

And can I get a screenshot of the 'Desktop' controlpanel? I always thought the present one looks like ****.. :/

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch:
I would also like to know how expose handles dual or more monitors, do they all the cube transision?

And for the multiuser thingy, if you copy somthing (Be that text or a picture) and switch user, does the copied text/picture go with it, or does each user has its own drawer?

And could someone please do an OpenGL comparison between 10.3DP1 and 10.2.6? Same setup/game/etc.

And can I get a screenshot of the 'Desktop' controlpanel? I always thought the present one looks like ****.. :/
I don't know about the cube thing...don't have QE.

As for copy/paste, no...the clipboard is not carried over.

Desktop Prefs

Forum Links
Forum Rules