Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook goes to sleep while using it

Powerbook goes to sleep while using it
jnicholas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2006, 07:19 PM

I have a 15" Powerbook. Recently I have had a weird problem with it going to sleep while I am using it. It is plugged in and set to never go to sleep. It will go to sleep even while I am typing on it. When I wake it back up it might stay awake for hours or go back to sleep before I even have a chance to reconnect to the network.

Has anyone heard of a similar problem? My first concern is that it may have a problem with the switch in the lid and it thinks the lid is closed. If it is something I can do in software I'd be happier.

ibook_steve
Jan 16, 2006, 02:55 AM

Is your fan running when it happens? If so, it's possible your machine is overheating and going to sleep to protect itself. What are you doing when it goes to sleep? Do you have an external monitor attached? Are you running any intensive apps?

Steve

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2006, 05:41 AM

Do you have applecare (or is the machine still under warranty?). I would definitely give apple a call if noone can answer your question in the forums in short order.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

jnicholas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2006, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
Is your fan running when it happens? If so, it's possible your machine is overheating and going to sleep to protect itself. What are you doing when it goes to sleep? Do you have an external monitor attached? Are you running any intensive apps?

Steve
The fan is not running. I am using apps like Flash and Dreamweaver but I don't think it is a heat issue. The machine doesn't feel hot and it is very random as to whether it will stay awake for a couple of hours or ten seconds.

I do use an external monitor but this is in addition to the built in monitor, the lid is open.

ibook_steve
Jan 16, 2006, 01:57 PM

Does the fan ever run? I'd recommend keeping Activity Monitor open or some other app to show CPU usage. If you ever peak the CPU and the fan is not eventually coming on to cool it down, your fan could be dead. This could lead to the overheating and sleep. Just because you don't feel the heat externally doesn't mean that it's possible for one of the heat sensors internally to get tripped, causing the machine to put itself to sleep. Also try playing around with the Energy Saver settings to see if any different settings help or make the problem worse.

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules