Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB overdrive with Logitech G5 mouse

USB overdrive with Logitech G5 mouse
wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2006, 03:34 PM

Alright, so my logitech MX510 died on me yesterday and I picked up a G5 at the campus computer store for a good price ($45). I knew off the bat that logitech didn't support OSX with the G5 like they do some/most of their other products (to some extent atleast). However, most of the people that work at the store use macs, and the salesman that I asked pulled up the usb overdrive site and we read that the most recent patch indeed supported the G5. So I figured, hey what the heck, I'll try it out. I came home, deleted all the previous logitech drivers and everything in my library from logitech, then downloaded/installed USB overdrive. Previous to this, plugging in the G5 would allow me to track, but nothing else (no clicky). After installing overdrive, the left and right click work, middle click works, and the 4th (left) button on the G5 command clicks (I have this set to open link in new tab on camino that's the only reason I know this - found out about it by accident). When I open overdrive, the mouse isn't shown as supported (IE it doesn't pop up in the tab for "handled devices"). The overdrive site support describes how to set extra buttons on some logitech mice that map to overdrive button 7, 8, 9, etc... However, when I have overdrive up as the main window in focus, it's supposed to highlight the button I'm pressing and that's just not happening.

This is my first time using overdrive, and the support site didn't seem to be much help (though I have looked over it quite a few times now). Any input would be greatly appreciated - so tell me how you got your G5 to work.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Forum Links
Forum Rules