Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Techtool Deluxe discontinued

Techtool Deluxe discontinued
steve666
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2011, 06:35 PM

Applecare used to come with this free hardware test utility, now it comes with nothing. Is there a free downloadable utility that does what tech tool used to do? I have a new Mini and I am having issues with one of the usb ports.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 5, 2011, 07:10 PM

Try the Apple Hardware Tests. Option-boot from the original Install DVD. You'll see an extra partition with the hardware tests.

If you have one of those new no-optical Minis with Lion, try the option-boot anyway. The hardware tests have to be there somewhere, probably hidden in the recovery partition.

Thorzdad
Sep 5, 2011, 07:22 PM

According to this Apple Support doc, all you need to do (on a Mac with no optical drive) is to reboot while pressing the D button. I guess D means Diagnostic.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2011, 07:32 PM

Thanks guys, you'd think Apple would mention this somewhere that's easy to find, like right in the Applecare package and in the welcome instructions.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2011, 07:46 PM

They never even bothered to inform their technicians when they shifted the diagnostics from the DVDs to the internal HDDs.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2011, 07:53 PM

That's strange, something you'd think they would keep them informed about.

I have a question, Off topic. What happened to the up and down arrows in the window? Also, I have blue and blue chosen but everything is graphite-the scroll bar, etc. Anyway to change this?
Also, this Mini has the built in power supply and the cord is too short. is it safe to use an extension cord?
Lastly, when i had the headphones plugged into my previous Mini the startup chimes didn't sound, but not with this one. Anyway to shut it up?
Thanks!

Gregg
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2011, 08:14 PM

You might be able to get Tech Tool Deluxe directly from its developer. Go to micromat.com and see.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
You might be able to get Tech Tool Deluxe directly from its developer. Go to micromat.com and see.
Apparently they discontinued it

P
Sep 6, 2011, 05:27 AM

Techtool Deluxe was a special version for Apple that I'm not even sure that they ever sold separately. Techtool Pro is still being sold and is a superset of Techtool Deluxe.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2011, 02:23 PM

Yes, it was only for Apple, I guess Apple decided it didn't want it anymore

Gregg
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2011, 08:21 PM

Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
Doesn't work with Lion

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2011, 01:04 PM

I just installed the TechTool Deluxe 3.1.3 that came with my Applecare. However, I'm running Lion.

It seems to work with the processor, RAM, and various drive tests, but crashes on the Video RAM test unless I exclude it. It also gives an error for the Volume Structure test, but that's not surprising.

So, is it just a waste of time? BTW, where are the TechTool Deluxe preferences located in case I want to erase it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules