Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Logitech Harmony Remote

Logitech Harmony Remote
JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2005, 04:51 PM

Hey all, anyone have one those fancy universal Logitech Harmony Remotes? I got sick of having 42 remotes, so I picked up the remote. It's pretty slick, you program your devices into it using your computer and dump the config to the remote via USB. The cool thing is how the software helps you set up "activities." They really are nothing more than macros but it's so nice b/c it's point and click versus having to "teach" the remote how to do things.

Oh well... New toys are fun!

Josh
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 04:57 PM

I've been thinking about getting one. How is the setup from the Mac? Can you post some screenshots? What are you controlling? I want to control my Bose home theater, RCA TV, and TiVo.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 04:58 PM

I have one. It works very, very well. Feels like a Tivo remote, and is very capable of handling all of my equipment. You program it online, then just use it like a normal remote. I tried a TON of "universal" remotes, and found that none offered all of the features (or buttons) I wanted. This one remote does it all, and if it doesn't, then you reprogram it. I got the one with the colored plates.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 05:00 PM

It uses a web site and a USB port to program. It works on my G5 just fine. It also has a small application that loads when OS X loads, but I just closed it and only open it when I need to update the remote. I update the remote about once every 3-4 months, mostly because I find I need to reprogram a button. It doesn't do "macros" like other remotes, it just modifies the buttons on the remote to make it useful for the activity you are doing. For example, the volume button when I watch TV turns the TV volume up and down. When I watch a movie, it turns my receiver up and down.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 06:23 PM

the 880 looks cool.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
the 880 looks cool.
Is that the one they just announced? I think I'll wait for that one to be released. Nobody can use my home theater when they visit!

Forum Links
Forum Rules