Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Umm..How do you install a Printer Driver?

Umm..How do you install a Printer Driver?
Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2004, 12:37 PM

I have the Samsung 4216F connected to a Windows PC on the Network and although my iBook can see it, I dont really know how to install the driver for it.

Samsung has a driver on their site which I downloaded and installed from the following location:

http://www.samsung.com/me/support/pr...e=DR&language=

I used the 10.3 driver and after installing, there is a SAMSUNG directory in the Library/Printers folder however, that only has four files and none of them seems to be a driver file- at least not when I add a printer and browse for a driver.

So how would I go about installing the driver?

-Abbas

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2004, 03:13 PM

First, I would go:

Applications>Utilities>Printer Setup Utility to see if the printer is now recognized by OS X. You may not need to do anything else.
Suicide Bombers: That never-say-die spirit. No, that's not right.

Abbas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2004, 01:43 AM

Its not recognized. So I think a driver will be needed.

Thanks
Abbas

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2004, 05:03 AM

Did you reboot ? Sometimes those printer drivers require a reboot before working.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

meem
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2004, 06:08 AM

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2004, 06:21 AM

try running the 2nd & 3rd Panther discs. they've got printer drivers on.

Abbas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2004, 08:34 AM

Rebooted as well, but the driver just doesnt show up in the list of drivers. And while installing the O/S I installed ALL the printer drivers from the instalation DVD.

-Abbas

Busemann
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 09:27 AM

Have you tried connecting it right to the Mac to see if it is not something with the Windows machine?

Abbas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2004, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by Busemann:
Have you tried connecting it right to the Mac to see if it is not something with the Windows machine?
Havent tried that- but how would that help? I mean I wont really have the printer connected to the ibook every day. Do you think that connecting the printer will find a way f installing drivers and once thats done, maybe I can use those drivers to connect it to the windows Network?

Thanks
Abbas

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2004, 03:46 PM

Ok, first make sure the printer is working from the windows machine. Then share the printer in Windows. (Right click, sharing) and make sure that "everyone" has access to it. Then in PrintCenter (Printer Setup Utility) select Add and when the add dialog comes up select Windows Printing from the pulldown menu. The Windows computer should be listed in the left column. select the windows computer and click ok. This should then bring up a list of printers connected to that computer. Once you select the printer the driver list at the bottom should have all drivers that are available. If the driver doesn't show up that way then the driver may only support USB connections on the Mac, in which case you will have to try other similar drivers to determine if anything can communicate with it.

I had a printer like this that would not work properly at all, I just connected it to the Mac and shared it. My Windows machine could print to it just fine if I selected "Apple laserwriter" on the windows machine as the driver.
--Laurence

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 06:55 PM

is the printer connected by USB or no?
iamwhor3hay

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2004, 07:18 PM

You should be able to manually add the printer .plugin file to the proper manufacturer sub-folder of the global Library Printers folder. (HD/Library/Printers/)

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

cpac
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2004, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by Abbas:
Havent tried that- but how would that help? I mean I wont really have the printer connected to the ibook every day. Do you think that connecting the printer will find a way f installing drivers and once thats done, maybe I can use those drivers to connect it to the windows Network?
It will help by narrowing down what exactly the problem is.

If you can print when connected directly, you don't have a driver problem - you have some sort of printer-sharing problem.
cpac

Abbas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2004, 10:07 AM

Ok- now when I connect the printer directly to a USB port, I get the option to select Samsung PCL 5 driver and the printer works jst fine.

However, through the Windows network, I can browse to that printer but I cannot see the samsung PCL 5 driver when I select the option to chose a driver thats not listed (Samsung is not listed).

Why is that? Installing a printer driver should be easy. And if I can get the samsung PCL 5 when conencted through the USB, why cant I get it when trying to chose for a Network

-Abbas

Busemann
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 10:35 AM

Ok- now when I connect the printer directly to a USB port, I get the option to select Samsung PCL 5 driver and the printer works jst fine.

However, through the Windows network, I can browse to that printer but I cannot see the samsung PCL 5 driver when I select the option to chose a driver thats not listed (Samsung is not listed).

Why is that? Installing a printer driver should be easy. And if I can get the samsung PCL 5 when conencted through the USB, why cant I get it when trying to chose for a Network

-Abbas
Again, this is not a driver issue. There is probably something with how the windows machine is set up.

cpac
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 10:48 AM

As the previous poster stated: YOU DONT HAVE A DRIVER PROBLEM. Since your Mac was able to print just fine when connected directly, it obviously has the printer driver installed and functioning.

The problem lies somewhere in the way your Mac and Windows machine are communicating. I would go through your set-up once again, and do a search here for "sharing windows printer" or look over at Mac OS X Hints for something similar.
cpac

Forum Links
Forum Rules