Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Games on the Mac.

View Poll Results: Do you play games on your Mac?
Poll Options:
Always: Games are the only reason I own a Mac. 0 votes (0%)
Frequently: The majority of my computer use is gaming, but not all. 9 votes (10.71%)
Sometimes: I'm a casual game enthusiast, but they're not my main focus. 39 votes (46.43%)
Rarely: I enjoy the occasional game, but framerates don't concern me. 29 votes (34.52%)
Never: I never play a game, ever. Ever, ever, ever. 7 votes (8.33%)
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll
Games on the Mac.
chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 01:10 PM

with all the hullabaloo about the poor video card performance in the new iMac, I thought a show of hands with regards to who actually games would be interesting.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 01:28 PM

On my Mac? Sometimes. Just Quake II or RTCW since I don't own the PC versions. The Edge and The Beach are two of the best multiplayer maps ever.

On my PC I play on a more regular basis. Doom III rocks my world.

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Sep 1, 2004, 01:29 PM

I have a PC that has been reduced to the role of gaming machine.
And that`s only because there is no Enemy Territory on the Mac.

Other games are Freecell and Solitaire.

You should change the poll to see how many people with iMac`s are hardcore players.
I think that Apple looked closely at their target audience and realized that anyone who is serious about gaming is buying a PowerMac anyway.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 01:53 PM

I'd play more games on my Mac if more of the PC games I wanted were ported over. Of course, it's things like skimping on the graphics in a new line of iMacs that reminds gamers and developers that Apple doesn't take the games market seriously.

Originally posted by cszar2001:
I think that Apple looked closely at their target audience and realized that anyone who is serious about gaming is buying a PowerMac anyway.
Is anyone who is serious about computer gaming buying any kind of Mac? Many gamers would be happy to buy iMacs, I think... especially since iMacs are more in line with the price of a decent PC gaming system. But again, the Geforce 5200 in the new iMac is a big turnoff.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 02:10 PM

For me, it's:

Mac = Work (and occasional MacNN)
XBox = Games

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 02:11 PM

I only have a PS1 and no PC so I don't play games heavily. The ones that get ported are enough for me and frame rates don't concern me unless they're low enough to cripple play.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 02:13 PM

I played tetris in Terminal a couple weeks back, and someone sent me the sixtyforce emulator, which I goofed off with for about 10 minutes. I played Zoo Tycoon for nearly an hour back in June.

That's about this year's sum total for me.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
[B]For me, it's:

Mac = Work (and occasional MacNN)
Bwahahaha!

voyageur
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 02:27 PM

I very much enjoy the occasional game of Warcraft III.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2004, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by voyageur:
I very much enjoy the occasional game of Warcraft III.
You rock.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 1, 2004, 02:31 PM

I voted Never: I never play a game, ever. Ever, ever, ever.

Why? I have every video game system that I use on a big tv and they all have great controllers. I don't want to sit infront of my computer and tweak settings like an idiot to get every last frame out of it.

"Hello, what have we here?

soul searching
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
You rock.
I'll second that

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

John R. Smith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 02:38 PM

i played risk on my computer 3 years ago. when i want to play a game i just turn on my xbox.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
You rock.
Why thank you
You'd probably find it easy to beat me, though.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2004, 02:53 PM

Macs and games in the same sentence? Only if the word "never" is in there, too .

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 03:00 PM

Also I don't want to wait 3 FRIGGIN YEARS to play halo on a Mac just for a slightly better framerate.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 03:09 PM

Command & Conquer Generals is the only game I have for the Mac. Everything else I play on my GameCube.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 03:12 PM

I used to game alot and when I did the vast majority was on my mac. But I do little more then once month now a days at our monthly LAN party.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 03:23 PM

Escape Velocity games and other shareware stuff, mainly. I used to play PS1 games through CVGS, I've got the PS2 now, so that's my game machine. It would take a big shift in something for the Mac to be seen as a games machine.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 03:51 PM

Sometimes. I barely have enough time or patience to get through GoldenEye a second time, let alone spend the money on Halo or UT2004 or whatever's out there. I played the XIII demo and it looks pretty cool but when the heck am I ever going to play it?

The last computer game to really grab me was Deus Ex, played that through 3 times.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 03:57 PM

I don't play a lot of games, though I love WarCraft and just polished off Dungeon Siege. I used to be a Civ addict but after playing its various incarnations, I didn't bother with Civ III.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

york28
Senior User
Sep 1, 2004, 04:00 PM

I love SNES/NES emulators. They are the only games that I ever play on my Mac.

Now if you will excuse me, I have level 66 of Bust a Move to work on...
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
occasional
yeah, my ass occasional.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
yeah, my ass occasional.
What about your ass occasionally?

Scifience
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 04:25 PM

I picked Never because I use my PC for that.

Hate to say it, but an Athlon64 3200+ with GeForce 6800 GT beats a comprably-priced Mac for gaming any day.

fireside
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 04:30 PM

i usually play SNES games on the computer.

Beewee
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 04:58 PM

Blood Rayne -the game from a developers stand point is horrible, it's like there is NO collision detection at all. But I noticed they gave all the females a very nice bounce in the chest...if you know what I mean.

UT, halo - God I love being a sniper!

Icewind Dale - Oldie but a goody.

And any SNES game you can think of.

winnerofthesat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 05:10 PM

The only game I have for my ibook is The Sims. Gamestop was clearing out all their mac games for 9.99 each and I picked it up.

It's funny--all my Sims are homos. weird.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2004, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by winnerofthesat:
It's funny--all my Sims are homos. weird.
HERE WE GO AGAIN, PUSHING YOUR GAY SIMS AGENDA ON EVERYONE.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 05:46 PM

Okay, I admit it! I killed a Sim just so I could watch it beg the Grim Reaper!

I feel horrible!

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 05:52 PM

I'm often baffled by people that drop $600 to buy a PC just so they can play games on it. Crazy. I dropped $150 on a console so I could play games, but that's about all it was worth, and at least I can use that to play with people I'm hanging out with, rather than sit in my room fragging people online all day. I will ocasionally download a freeware off the internet and play with it for a while, but not that much.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 05:54 PM

my mac is all for work and "computer" stuff.
but i do have warcraft III that i am *slowly* working my way through.
gamecube and xbox for games.

a little off topic, but i got nhl2k5 today and it is awesome! been playing some xbox live today. for $19.99, you can't go wrong.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
my mac is all for work and "computer" stuff.
but i do have warcraft III that i am *slowly* working my way through.
gamecube and xbox for games.

a little off topic, but i got nhl2k5 today and it is awesome! been playing some xbox live today. for $19.99, you can't go wrong.
Nice. Might be the only kind of NHL action we see this year. I want this game too, of course I just bought NFL2k5 and have barely had time to play that one as it is.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
I'm often baffled by people that drop $600 to buy a PC just so they can play games on it. Crazy. I dropped $150 on a console so I could play games, but that's about all it was worth, and at least I can use that to play with people I'm hanging out with, rather than sit in my room fragging people online all day. I will ocasionally download a freeware off the internet and play with it for a while, but not that much.
I know what you mean. I am an AVID console gamer with tons and tons of games and every system.

I am still blown away when people spend $500 JUST for a video card to get the frame rates up in Doom which isn't a great game anyway.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 06:06 PM

I'm often baffled by people that drop $600 to buy a PC just so they can play games on it. Crazy.
I'm baffled by the pepole who stop at nothing to increase frame rates and overclock processors... But there are plenty of games that I'd either rather play on the PC than on a console, or are only available on the PC.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2004, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
I'd play more games on my Mac if more of the PC games I wanted were ported over. Of course, it's things like skimping on the graphics in a new line of iMacs that reminds gamers and developers that Apple doesn't take the games market seriously.
I'd say the majority of PC upgrades is centered around games more than anything else. You don't need a dual Athlon 3600+ to run Office or Oracle. While the Mac community upgrades their Macs for Photoshop & Final Cut, I agree 237.48% that Apple's missing a HUGE cash cow and really needs to take gaming seriously. If anything, they should pony up some of Jobs' money do inhouse ports if they have to.

If Apple really wanted to turn gaming around on the Mac, they'd bitch-slap Valve into submission and get Half-Life 2/Counter-Strike 2 on the Mac.

Unfortunately, even if Apple could convince Valve to make Half-Life 2 for the Mac, we'd be stuck in the crap of no cross-platform gaming thanks to Microsoft's DirectPlay.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 07:45 PM

They could throw some money around to software developers, no doubt. I already suspect they do this with Blizzard. However, they also need to show they're serious about gaming by committing to producing some serious gaming hardware. The retail video card selection for Macs is pathetic, and the cards that ship in many Macs are also pathetic. It doesn't even matter if an end customer actually plays games or not, I'd expect anyone to feel gipped if they bought a new $2k computer and it shipped with a cheapo video card.

ringo
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 08:28 PM

Never, never, never, never, never on my mac. Most of my gaming is done on a PC because that's what Civ3 Conquests was made for.

Originally posted by chris v:
Okay, I admit it! I killed a Sim just so I could watch it beg the Grim Reaper! I feel horrible!
When I got bored of the sims, I started walling off the doors, removing the toilets, beds and fridges, etc. I left them with mini-bars, fireplaces, and luxury items. Sim-hell soon followed.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 09:29 PM

The difference is, it's a lot easier to pirate computer games than console games. So for a lot of people, the PC is a one time greater expense and unlimited games.

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

george68
Banned
Sep 1, 2004, 10:16 PM

Where's this option:

"Right now I'd rather be playing a game but since Apple shipped my iMac with a shitty video card all I'm left with are these lousy forums"

I'd check that one.

- Rob

Beewee
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 11:40 PM

I feel horrible!
OOOooo! I do that all the time.
Cept I don't beg, I construct a building with small rooms all about 4x4 squares, all with concrete floors. No windows, well maybe one...the smallest. Put in a night stand and a stereo boom box (turned on) and then invite neighbors over, call them into the room leave and then delete the door. Sweet huh? They usually last about two days or so...

Or I have one of my sims die (the suck at cooking and are very flammable.)
Death comes and I beg, turn em into a zombie and thats it. Hot undead on living action !

Or have you ever put you sim in a pool and then deleted the ladder? SWIM TO DEATH MUHAHAHAHAH!

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 12:26 AM

This poll is flawed. Essentially either we're "casual" gamers and the games don't really matter, or we're "frequent gamers" and that's all we do...

WTF?

I feel like losing it on you here. Give it a friggin rest. OS X REALLY NEEDS more games, the total lack of them is ABSURD.

The fact that apple drags their ass when it comes to game development and sells machines with $20 video cards isn't helping it either.
Aloha

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2004, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by itai195:
They could throw some money around to software developers, no doubt. I already suspect they do this with Blizzard. However, they also need to show they're serious about gaming by committing to producing some serious gaming hardware. The retail video card selection for Macs is pathetic, and the cards that ship in many Macs are also pathetic. It doesn't even matter if an end customer actually plays games or not, I'd expect anyone to feel gipped if they bought a new $2k computer and it shipped with a cheapo video card.
Why doesn't Sonnett, Macally, or even OWC or whoever make nVidia and Radeon cards? It's not like it has to JUST be for the Mac, they could sell dual cards and make up for "lost" revenue through the PC channels.

It's pretty much established that Mac users will support a good product made for the Mac, then continue to support them if they keep good on the products. Look at Bungie! Hell, they were so good Microsoft bought them. But Bungie wouldn'tve gotten where they are now if it wasn't for the Mac community. If Macally made 9600/9800s, 6800s, etc., I bet people with tower Macs would line up to buy one. Macally could underprice ATI by a few hundred bucks and make a killing in the Mac market.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 02:41 AM

I feel horrible!
I do that all the time my favorite way to kill them is with fire. the trick is to remember is they are not real.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 02:59 AM

I have a PC used almost exclusively for gaming; there are some games I play on my Mac, but none that are all too new (mainly Diablo II).

bookofjames
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2004, 04:49 AM

i have NeverWinter Nights on my 12" Pb so I can sometimes log on to a Permanent World somewhere and play a bit, but I hardly have time for that now - too much work.
book-of-james.com

12" Rev B PwBk (Oct2003)
1GHz | 60GB HDD (4200rpm) | 1.25 GB RAM

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2004, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by Link:
This poll is flawed. Essentially either we're "casual" gamers and the games don't really matter, or we're "frequent gamers" and that's all we do...

WTF?

I feel like losing it on you here. Give it a friggin rest. OS X REALLY NEEDS more games, the total lack of them is ABSURD.

The fact that apple drags their ass when it comes to game development and sells machines with $20 video cards isn't helping it either.
Okay, what would you put between casual and frequent? I mean, you play games somtimes, or you play games quite a bit. What could I have shoehorned between the two? "I play games somewhat frequently, but don't want to admit how much of my life I waste on it?"

I was just curious about how much gaming matters to Mac people. I figured that if you were a game entusiast, then you would play games frequently.

Go ahead, and "Lose it on me." It should be amusing.

andi*pandi
Sep 2, 2004, 07:57 AM

I got Wingnuts free from .Mac. It's currently kicking my ass.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2004, 08:18 AM

I have Everquest and Diablo II for the Mac, and I hardly ever play EQ on it - that's what my PC is for (along with Quake, Quake 3, Tron 2.0, UT, UT2K4, Doom 3, Unreal II, NWN, Morrowind, etc.).

You get the idea...

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

george68
Banned
Sep 2, 2004, 08:31 AM

Keep in mind that all the mac people here who have a PC for gaming would probably prefer to have all their games playable on their macs, since they are mac users.... however, since Apple ships **** vid cards, most machines can't play games, most people don't buy them, most game developers don't bother with the mac market.

Apple is effing STUPID.

- Rob

Forum Links
Forum Rules