Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook wakes from sleep when opening the lid... or not?

MacBook wakes from sleep when opening the lid... or not?
pat++
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 07:13 AM

I am just back from the local Apple store, and one thing I noticed is that none of the display units would wake from sleep when opening the lid. You actually had to press a key to do it... But just saw a video on another thread where the MacBook wakes from sleep (as it should) by just opening the lid. So, what is your experience with it? Were the display units at the Apple store defective? Is there a new option in system preferences for this?
( Last edited by pat++; May 21, 2006 at 07:20 AM. )

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2006, 08:28 AM

I have noticed this with the MBP too, that was at display at two of the local Apple Centres I went too. I think it has to do with settings, rather than malfunctioning.
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

Meadowfield
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2006, 08:34 AM

Yes, I noticed that at the store too, but they open and wake just like any other previous Apple portable. Who only knows what some bozo did to the display unit before we got to them. For what it's worth, I went with the intention of buying a White model, but it was apparent that the off-white matt finish would quickly become grey with use so I opted for the Black flakey one ;-)

Lava Lamp Freak
May 21, 2006, 09:06 AM

The MacBook I looked at also would not wake from sleep after I closed the lid. The sales guy kept messing with it and tried to turn my attention away from that issue by rebooting it and saying "Wow, look has fast it boots!"

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 21, 2006, 10:10 AM

Is this a feature or an issue. Being latchless perhaps its apple's way of not having it mistakenly wake up and drain the battery.

Perhaps the video is a marketing one that isn't really based on reality - that happens from time to time
~Mike

pat++  (op)
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 11:09 AM

Here is a video where the MacBook wakes up as expected:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABRFV9lGdOY

Can MacBook owners comment on this?

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 21, 2006, 11:15 AM

Mine wakes when I open the lid. I have the screensaver / wake from sleep password set, so when I open it I get prompted for a password. Works as expect.

Nothing to worry about here - move along, move along...

pat++  (op)
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
Mine wakes when I open the lid. I have the screensaver / wake from sleep password set, so when I open it I get prompted for a password. Works as expect.

Nothing to worry about here - move along, move along...
Thanks for your comment. It doesn't explain why display units behave differently. Can you double check if there is any new option in System Preferences? If it's not the case, it could mean some MacBooks do have an issue with this...

Raining Down in Texas
Forum Regular
May 21, 2006, 01:24 PM

I'm almost positive there used to be a "Wake machine on opening" preference in the Energy Saver system preference back in the Jaguar days. My guess would be that the option is still there, but the interface has been removed.

If you look at /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist, there is an setting called "Wake on Clamshell Open" that is set to 1 on my machine (10.4.6 Intel). It's under the "Custom Profile->Battery Power" section. Apple probably has it set to zero on their machines.

Meadowfield
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2006, 02:45 PM

I read elsewhere that overheating can cause this. Roh-oh...

pat++  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Meadowfield
I read elsewhere that overheating can cause this. Roh-oh...
Doesn't sound good...

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 04:02 PM

Confirming that opening the lid causes my Macbook to wake from sleep.

One thing I'm not used to, though: should the sleep LED go on even IF the MacBook is still awake (e.g. screen is dimmed, iTunes playing, but sleep LED goes on).

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by ginoledesma

One thing I'm not used to, though: should the sleep LED go on even IF the MacBook is still awake (e.g. screen is dimmed, iTunes playing, but sleep LED goes on).
If the screen is dimmed, as in the display has gone black because it has turned itself off as an energy saving feature, then yes, I think the sleep light should come on, but should not pulse, it should just be full on. Thats what my iMac does, anyway.

Edit: Thinking about it, my iBook didn't do this, so I don't know, maybe its got the iMacs feature
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

pat++  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by ginoledesma

Definitely not. At least, I've never ever seen this on a Mac before...
( Last edited by pat++; May 22, 2006 at 05:07 PM. )

masugu
Senior User
May 22, 2006, 04:51 PM

Rev A, RevA...Rev A Rev A Rev A Rev A Rev Aaaaaaaaaaaa (Sung to the tune of the Pink Panther Theme)
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 22, 2006, 05:31 PM

When the screen goes black (ie screen sleeps, but system is not fully asleep) the sleep light comes on solid. When the system is fully asleep, the light pulses. This is new behaviour, as far as I know, and very useful, because you can tell just by looking if the machine is fully asleep or if just the screen is off.

Sleep works as expected. As I said, move along - nothing to see here.

Jeez - stop panicking with this Revison A stuff !!

In other news: the sky is falling, the sky is falling !

masugu
Senior User
May 22, 2006, 05:47 PM

No Panic GeeForce... Just trying to make a little light of the ongoing feature discovery
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Dave B
May 22, 2006, 07:15 PM

I was down at the Apple store in SF the other day and was testing the magnetic latch.
I closed the lid, and watched the sleep light (to the left of IR port) pulse on and off.
When I opened the lid, the dark screen lit up in a split-second; all seemed normal.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2006, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
When the screen goes black (ie screen sleeps, but system is not fully asleep) the sleep light comes on solid. When the system is fully asleep, the light pulses. This is new behaviour, as far as I know, and very useful, because you can tell just by looking if the machine is fully asleep or if just the screen is off.
Gee4orce is right on.

Apple changed the sleep light behavior with the MBP and the MB. I don't know about the Intel iMac and Mac mini though.

The new idea is that the user should be able to recognize the state of the machine at one glance. When the screen turns off, you wouldn't know if the machine is on or off (if it's off, it's not sleeping so no pulsing light). That's why now the light glows when the sreen turns off. Same thing when you use your notebook in closed-lid mode. It's running but with a closed lid, so the light switches to constant glow to tell you 'hey, I'm on'. When you sleep it pulses as it used to. When it's off, there's nothing. It's pretty solid logic. One glance at the Mac always tells you in what state it is.

The only thing I'm wondering is why they even bother to turn the light off when the Mac's running. I doubt the LED consumes more than a few mW of power so that can't be the reason. And basically it would be the simplest: on, off or pulsing. That's all you need.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 09:17 AM

As I said quite a way up in this thread, the iMac does this, and so did my G5 iMac do this.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 23, 2006, 10:00 AM

Re: wake on lid open:

Anyone interested should open Terminal and type man pmset to read the instructions of the pmset utility, which allows extremely granular power settings.

tooki

Dr.Michael
May 23, 2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
Re: wake on lid open:

Anyone interested should open Terminal and type man pmset to read the instructions of the pmset utility, which allows extremely granular power settings.

tooki
Yes right. This has literally been discussed a hundred times for the powerbooks. Please do a search.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
Same thing when you use your notebook in closed-lid mode. It's running but with a closed lid, so the light switches to constant glow to tell you 'hey, I'm on'.
Is there a way to get it to stay on with the lid closed, without having to attach a mouse, keyboard, or external screen?
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules