Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > White MacBook Off-white and Arctic?

White MacBook Off-white and Arctic?
jsousa
May 25, 2006, 01:18 PM

SO I was looking at MacBooks today and the black one does look quite nice. But the white one; the hard plastic shinny finish is almost off white while the flat matt part that you see when you open up the book is almost arctic white. Has anyone else seen this? It was very annoying to me. I'm not sure what I will do but I will still probably buy one.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 25, 2006, 01:37 PM

That annoys you? In any case, the iBooks have had a subtle two-toned scheme for a long time. The original white iBooks actually have a silvery white palmrest, while the top and bottom are more or less pure white.

Meadowfield
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2006, 05:19 PM

Yup - this bothered me too and I bought the stealth model instead. Sure the black mat finish shows grease but can you imagine how grimy the white'll get? No thanks.

So far the Black Book has been terrific and incredibly quiet, except when you wake it from a nap - Lots of mechanical machinations. Also, compared to the PB 12 this guy is bigger than I though it'd be although the incredible picture quality more than makes up for this.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2006, 07:53 AM

Felt the same way about the white MacBook. To me, it seemed more off-white than the iBook G4. So I prefer the black one.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 26, 2006, 08:15 AM

If the white Macbook's finish bothers you then go for the black one or the MBP

To be honest I never even noticed whily my MB is under a week old I'm pretty sure I don't care about a slight variation in color
~Mike

Tarcat
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 09:04 AM

I prefer the look of the black one, but i'm not about to pay $150 extra for black.

Heavy
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 11:01 AM

black looks sexy. Three people have commented on it. It just stands out, yet makes it look that much more sleek. Dark colors will give a smaller, sleeker appearance. That's probably the #1 rule at Weight Watchers. : )

mathew_m
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 11:12 AM

The white model does have a slightly less polished look to it. Which makes sense since it costs less.

There will definitely be less complaining about the whitebook's appearance after a few weeks then there will be for the black.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2006, 11:38 AM

It's funny how people are saying that black stands out, considering it's probably the most common color for laptops. White, on the other hand, is pretty rare. I realize that Apple's version of black is better than the garden variety dell, but it still seems strange to me.

mathew_m
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
It's funny how people are saying that black stands out, considering it's probably the most common color for laptops.
I think the black is appealing to men mostly as white as Leo Laporte put it "is a little girly". I don't exactly agree. White has a modern look to it and matches well with the iMac. The thing I don't like about the white model is that it draws attention to the rather large bezel and makes the screen look smaller.

jere_69
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2006, 12:07 PM

It's funny how people are saying that black stands out, considering it's probably the most common color for laptops. White, on the other hand, is pretty rare. I realize that Apple's version of black is better than the garden variety dell, but it still seems strange to me.

Yeah, me too. I've only owned PC laptops, so when I first saw the black, I wasn't impressed at all...it actually kind of looked like cheap PC laptop. I guess it's only different if you're already used to the recent Apple laptops. I was automatically drawn to the white because it's different from my PC laptops.

Heavy
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 12:23 PM

Yeah, people that are commenting said "that doesn't look like an ibook?" and these people are used to their Dells and whatever. It still looks sweet to them. The black is just badass stealth.

mathew_m
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Heavy
The black is just badass stealth.
Yeah but how stealth is a giant, glowing Apple logo?

mathew_m
Senior User
May 26, 2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by angelp
...it actually kind of looked like cheap PC laptop.
What I enjoy about Apple's products is that while stylish there is also a minimalism to them. I think if you had 'intel inside' stickers on the palm rests, asymetrical proportions (the screen on the MB is the same width as the keyboard) a dinky trackpad with bulbous buttons, exposed speakers with silver grills etcetera then it would look like a cheap PC laptop.

Heavy
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by mathew_m
Yeah but how stealth is a giant, glowing Apple logo?

??

I don't even see a logo when I have it opened. The logo's not very big at all. I love how it's white. Looks like a Tux. Classy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules