Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office 2003 - Questionable Strategy

Office 2003 - Questionable Strategy
LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2003, 01:28 PM

First, go read this CNET article describing Microsoft's latest upgrade to Office.

Seems its most salient feature is what MS is calling "Windows Rights Management" but what is obviously an attempt to force upgrades by making Office 2003 docs closed to anyone but other Office 2003 users.

This strategy may backfire when the hoped-for lock-in becomes lock-out for many users who don't upgrade.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2003, 01:33 PM

As others have pointed out only some documents will have DRM. Basically it is just the ability to limit who can read what portions of the text. In a way it is just the same as how in OSX you can have some files read only by certain users. This actually is a very good feature. However most people will not use it - primarily just business users and likely only a few of them. (I don't recall, but I believe a server is required to get DRM to work)

So yes, DRM will keep OpenOffice, Appleworks, AbiWord or others from reading DRM encoded Word or Excel files. But they'll be able to read non-DRM files.

LaGow  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2003, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
As others have pointed out only some documents will have DRM. Basically it is just the ability to limit who can read what portions of the text. In a way it is just the same as how in OSX you can have some files read only by certain users. This actually is a very good feature. However most people will not use it - primarily just business users and likely only a few of them. (I don't recall, but I believe a server is required to get DRM to work)

So yes, DRM will keep OpenOffice, Appleworks, AbiWord or others from reading DRM encoded Word or Excel files. But they'll be able to read non-DRM files.
Yes, the article mentions that a server will be required for the DRM feature. I am persuaded that this might work internally for some organizations, but it doesn't seem to offer anything real over simply encrypting a document--except possibly convenience depending upon how the feature is implemented. Seems to me it's yet one more step to take and many more dollars to spend to get it done.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2003, 04:04 PM

Yeah, the result will probably be a lot of techs who can't get it working and spending an innordinate amount of time trying to figure out why the CEO can't open a doc sent via email.

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2003, 08:44 AM

It seems absurd that Microsoft would require Microsoft Server just to implement DRM. It's just like Microsoft to make something overly complicated.
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

Forum Links
Forum Rules