Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Hmm.....ObjectDock for winXP

Hmm.....ObjectDock for winXP
redboy
Apr 15, 2003, 05:43 AM

Hey check this out.

www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/

Has anybody compared it's functionality opposed to the MacosX dock?
( Last edited by redboy; Apr 15, 2003 at 06:56 AM. )

Jazzphone
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 07:34 AM

And may I ask why you care, Yes I have tested it while my mac was at AppleCare, The dock sucks, it crashes a lot, and when you drag icons to it they look crummy. It doesnt move right and when you add items this stupid window pops up asking ou want the item is suppose to do. There is also no Menu for Folders. Its fairly crappy, and dont bother with it.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 08:06 AM

I think the whole Objectx thing, or what ever it was called was quite difficult to get to work the way you wanted. But it seems to have some cool possibilities..

Sniffer gone old-school sig

redboy  (op)
Apr 15, 2003, 08:09 AM

I don't really care man I was just interested in finding out if they managed to emulate the dock 100%. Obviously they haven't.

Originally posted by Jazzphone:
And may I ask why you care, Yes I have tested it while my mac was at AppleCare, The dock sucks, it crashes a lot, and when you drag icons to it they look crummy. It doesnt move right and when you add items this stupid window pops up asking ou want the item is suppose to do. There is also no Menu for Folders. Its fairly crappy, and dont bother with it.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 10:05 AM

Y's Dock is far better implementation of OSX's Dock for XP. It has folder menus, the arrows that show if an app is running, ajustable magnification, 'poofs' when you remove items. it's only real flaw is that it has to use .png files for the icons.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 01:16 PM

that was quite an awful experience =D. Object dock blows.Doesn't show task bar apps, all icons must bounce, and it does not show me a little indicator of running programs. I could say more but it's not worth the time.

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 03:00 PM

I use Y's dock for XP, it does a fairly good job when I'm forced to use PeeCees.

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2003, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Jazzphone:
i think your talking about a very old version of mobydock.. anyway

YZ dock is pretty damn cool, i dont use my pc enough to use it though.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 04:39 PM

quoted wrong person

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
that was quite an awful experience =D. Object dock blows.Doesn't show task bar apps, all icons must bounce, and it does not show me a little indicator of running programs. I could say more but it's not worth the time.

Lies.

FYI, Objectdock DOES show running apps. All icons dont bounce, only ones that need your attention. And I think you'll find objectdock has both an option to show running indicators, and also an option on how those icons should function.

Objectdock is the fastest most complete dock clone for XP, and it's magnification is pretty damn close to the real thing.

I dont use any dock on XP 24/7 So it's not like I'm biased or anything

Chris

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
Lies.

FYI, Objectdock DOES show running apps. All icons dont bounce, only ones that need your attention. And I think you'll find objectdock has both an option to show running indicators, and also an option on how those icons should function.

Objectdock is the fastest most complete dock clone for XP, and it's magnification is pretty damn close to the real thing.

I dont use any dock on XP 24/7 So it's not like I'm biased or anything

Chris
yes it shows the running programs. But not with the little triangle under it. there is just a little space between the running aps and the folders. All the apps DO bounce upon launching. Right clicking on icons does not bring up a quit menu or a directory in a folders case but a change icon menu.

And it's not very convienient to talk on aim with 5 or 6 different chat windows that all have the same icon in the dock. No clock, and no taskbar icons.

Complete? Hardly.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 06:03 PM

yes it shows the running programs. But not with the little triangle under it. there is just a little space between the running aps and the folders. All the apps DO bounce upon launching. Right clicking on icons does not bring up a quit menu or a directory in a folders case but a change icon menu.

And it's not very convienient to talk on aim with 5 or 6 different chat windows that all have the same icon in the dock. No clock, and no taskbar icons.

Complete? Hardly.
What on earth are you talking about?

There are running program indicators... It's an option in the settings dialog. The Left side are your running tasks also, why you would want them all jumbled up is beyond me, this is much more organized. Yes, they bounce upon launch, I didnt understand what you meant. I agree that items need context menu's and I'm sure they are being implemented, the newest version is only .90 not even a 'v1' release. 5 or 6 different chat windows that all look the same? Perhaps you havent seen the option to allow screenshots to be taken? Seems to me you either have a REALLY old version, or you just havent enabled anything. Oh, and it most certainly does have a clock. And again, it does have a taskbar side and a shortcut/quicklaunch side.

Here's a pic of my dock for your convenience:

That shows all the features your claiming arnt there.

Oh and another great thing about Objectdock, it's fully skinnable, including separators and running task indicators

Chris

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2003, 06:08 PM

your very clueless.

http://screenshots.haque.net/screens...nshot-2433.jpg

damn Binary beat me to it :/

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 06:14 PM

Objectdock has the same feature set as the real dock, they are just implemented differently to keep stardock out of legal trouble I assume. As you can see, my dock does have running indicators, which arnt really needed as the TASKBAR is to the left (showing the running programs, no confusion), and LINKS are to the right All the things the guy is complaining about not being there, are there. I dont see why you guys are always so eager to slam a windows product, things work differently in windows, they arnt going to be exact clones... Isnt there room for improvment? jeesh.

Chris

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by Kujo:
your very clueless.

http://screenshots.haque.net/screens...nshot-2433.jpg

damn Binary beat me to it :/
Do I know you? hehe

At least you know me (shhh this is my mac alias )

Oh and Kujo's shot also shows the option of switching which side the taskbar shows on. I forgot about that option

Chris

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2003, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
Do I know you? hehe

At least you know me (shhh this is my mac alias )

Oh and Kujo's shot also shows the option of switching which side the taskbar shows on. I forgot about that option

Chris
not mine just a random shot i pulled off a windows site.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 06:30 PM

how do you run the widgets in windows?

i know they're java.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 06:34 PM

i know they're java.
They are both samurize skins/configs.

I 'ported' the clock myself, and the weather widget uses the images from the OS X one, and a script from a windows user

Chris

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 01:08 AM

i know they're java.
Actually, they're not Java. They're Javascript. And no, that's not splitting hairs; they're two entirely different languages by two entirely different companies designed to do two completely different things. Konfabulator is a Cocoa application that uses a custom Javascript interpreter to allow the widgets to function like separate programs, so to get widgets to work on Windows you'd have to write a Windows version of Konfabulator (or some other program that could interpret the same Javascript the same way). Hope that helps clear up the dilemma a bit; as a Java programmer, that particular decision of Netscape to ride on Sun's coattails and thereby mislead millions of users is something of a pet peeve of mine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules