Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Connect to my computer from afar?

Connect to my computer from afar?
SuperHard
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2003, 11:33 PM

I'm trying to use Quicktime Broadcaster to show a live video feed across the internet (ie not in a LAN). However, I connect to the internet via DHCP using a wireless router connected to a cable modem (multiple powerbook users here). And I think I need a static and unique IP so that my sister can "tune-in" to my computer and receive the broadcast.

Is the IP address my cable provider assigned to me, the address I should use for such a purpose?

And a related question, is it possible to have the basestation assign my computer the unique static address, and the other powerbooks receive their address via DHCP?

Along these lines, I often wished I could connect to my home computer from work (I use OS 10.2.6 at both places). Shouldn't this be possible? I suspect the same solution to applies to all cases.

Any help is greatly apprecieated. Also, I'd love a recommendation for a book on basic serving/networking (and security) issues- that would be great as well. Would the OS X Unleashed book cover some/all of this stuff?

Many, many, thanks!

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 09:41 AM

you will have to forward the ports needed by quicktime broadcaster and whatever you are going to use to connect to your machine to your powerbook

yea that requires access to the router

SuperHard  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2003, 01:14 PM

Thanks for your reply Phanguy but I'm not sure what you mean. (sorry, your dealing with a newbie). Actually no other computers are connected to my powerbook. The video camera is connected to my powerbook, QT broadcaster runs on OS X (does not require server to send broadcast though limited to sending to only one person). So, what is port forwarding? Is there a list of which ports are used for which tasks? How many ports does a powerbook have?

thanks again!

siegzdad
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2003, 02:07 AM

There are two things you will need in order for your sister to connect to the stream: an IP address she can connect to, and the ports to connect to the stream need to be forwarded by your router (assuming you have one) to the computer hosting the stream.

First, lets talk about the IP. You have already stated that you receive a dynamic IP from your ISP via DHCP. This means your address can change at almost any time. There are two ways you can get your sister the address -- first to give her the IP *every* time it changes (ugh) or to use a dynamic DNS service. By using the dynamic DNS service, she would enter in "yourname.homeip.net" or whatever service you choose to use. There are several Dynamic DNS services out there -- I suggest you take a look at www.dyndns.org. There are several DynDNS clients available for the mac.

As for the ports, QuickTime streaming server can use RTSP on UDP554, UDP7070, or HTTP (TCP80). Those would need to be forwarded by your router to the server.

Hope it helps.
iMac therefor iAm

SuperHard  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2003, 05:39 PM

Actually, my ISP, Comcast, assigned me a static IP address. However, I've connected a Farallon Gateway Wireless router to the cable modem which assigns me a new and address (and to the other computers) using DHCP.

So, one klunky solution for using QT Broadcaster is to disconnect the router and plug my computer directly into the cable modem and use the static address originally assigned to me (and disconnecting my roomates from the internet during that time period). But I was hoping to find something a bit less objectionable.

The second issue is, I'm not using QT Broadcast Server and I'm not using a server at all - just my powerbook and QT Broadcaster. I'm not sure what all the differences are between QT Broadcaster and QT Brdcst Server, but one of the major ones is that I can only show a stream to one other person at a time - which is fine for me right now.

I was hoping to find a way for the router to assign my computer the address Comcast assigned to my cable modem, and then to assign addresses to my roomates via DHCP (I suspect this will place my roomates and I on different subnets but that's ok).

It seems that using a DNS might just be the simplest solution.

thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules