Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do I break up a file into smaller pieces?

How do I break up a file into smaller pieces?
parsec_kadets
Senior User
Sep 9, 2003, 07:30 PM

Hey everyone, I know this question has been sort of asked before but not quite. Anyway, I have a file that is roughly 10MB and I need to break it up into smaller chunks so that it's a little more e-mail friendly. Any ideas on how I can do this? I saw that Disk Copy can sort of do this, but the smallest chunk you're allowed to make is 90MB. That's just way too big.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 07:46 PM

http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14956

or if you're comfortable with the command line, fire up the terminal and type

man split

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 08:54 PM

...and the obvious successor to this question is "how can we rejoin the segments?"
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

parsec_kadets  (op)
Senior User
Sep 9, 2003, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14956

or if you're comfortable with the command line, fire up the terminal and type

man split
I'm perfectly comfortable with the command line, but I doubt the person I'm sending it to is. As for that app, thanks for the tip but if that's the only solution I think I'd rather post the file on my iDisk and have him download it that way. There's got to be a way to make smaller disk images. Apple did it with the Panther CD images; those are only about 29 MB.

utidjian
Senior User
Sep 9, 2003, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by Geobunny:
...and the obvious successor to this question is "how can we rejoin the segments?"
Code:
[cider:~] utidjian% mkdir test_split [cider:~] utidjian% cd test_split [cider:~/test_split] utidjian% vi helloworld.c [cider:~/test_split] utidjian% cat helloworld.c #include <stdio.h> main(){ printf("Hello World!\n"); return(0); } [cider:~/test_split] utidjian% cc helloworld.c [cider:~/test_split] utidjian% ./a.out Hello World! [cider:~/test_split] utidjian% ls -l -rwxrwxrwx 1 utidjian utidjian 11572 Sep 9 21:16 a.out -rw-r--r-- 1 utidjian utidjian 68 Sep 9 21:23 helloworld.c [cider:~/test_split] utidjian% split -b2k a.out [cider:~/test_split] utidjian% ls -l -rwxrwxrwx 1 utidjian utidjian 11572 Sep 9 21:16 a.out -rw-r--r-- 1 utidjian utidjian 68 Sep 9 21:23 helloworld.c -rw-rw-rw- 1 utidjian utidjian 2048 Sep 9 21:30 xaa -rw-rw-rw- 1 utidjian utidjian 2048 Sep 9 21:30 xab -rw-rw-rw- 1 utidjian utidjian 2048 Sep 9 21:30 xac -rw-rw-rw- 1 utidjian utidjian 2048 Sep 9 21:30 xad -rw-rw-rw- 1 utidjian utidjian 2048 Sep 9 21:30 xae -rw-rw-rw- 1 utidjian utidjian 1332 Sep 9 21:30 xaf [cider:~/test_split] utidjian% cat x[a-z][a-z] > foo [cider:~/test_split] utidjian% chmod +x foo [cider:~/test_split] utidjian% rm x* [cider:~/test_split] utidjian% ls -l -rwxrwxrwx 1 utidjian utidjian 11572 Sep 9 21:16 a.out -rwxrwxrwx 1 utidjian utidjian 11572 Sep 9 21:35 foo -rw-r--r-- 1 utidjian utidjian 68 Sep 9 21:23 helloworld.c [cider:~/test_split] utidjian% ./foo Hello World! [cider:~/test_split] utidjian%
QED
-DU-...etc...

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2003, 09:43 PM

Stuffit used to come with a "Drop Segment" utility that would do it. If you have an old version of the Stuffit suite, that would do it.

utidjian
Senior User
Sep 9, 2003, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by parsec_kadets:
I'm perfectly comfortable with the command line, but I doubt the person I'm sending it to is.
Oooops forgot about that.
Should be AppleScriptable (or whatever)
-DU-...etc...

utidjian
Senior User
Sep 9, 2003, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by Brass:
Stuffit used to come with a "Drop Segment" utility that would do it. If you have an old version of the Stuffit suite, that would do it.
It would be a interesting feature for Mail.app to have an option to split files to some palatable size... and they could be auto-reassembled at the receiving end. But it would only work between similar email apps.

Could lead to some interesting problems if Apple had a mail app that executed certain things depending on email types. Much evil could come that way.
-DU-...etc...

MacMatt
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2003, 12:22 PM

Stuffit Deluxe 7.0 can make any size segments that automatically rejoin.

york28
Senior User
Sep 10, 2003, 04:00 PM

There's always .rar files. Although Stuffit chokes on them sometimes.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2003, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by parsec_kadets:
I saw that Disk Copy can sort of do this, but the smallest chunk you're allowed to make is 90MB. That's just way too big.
The command line program hdiutil (Disk Copy's engine) can produce segments of any size. Sadly, the GUI program is very limited in its options. So, to create segmented disk images, you would be better off with the command line or DropDMG ($10): http://www.c-command.com/dropdmg/index.shtml

Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2003, 05:33 PM

There is little utility called Split&Concat that is on VersionTracker. I use it all the time and never had any problems.

Doug

:XI:
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by gatorparrots:
The command line program hdiutil (Disk Copy's engine) can produce segments of any size. Sadly, the GUI program is very limited in its options. So, to create segmented disk images, you would be better off with the command line or DropDMG ($10): http://www.c-command.com/dropdmg/index.shtml
Parsec, hdiutil was the prog i was thinking of in #macnn!

I knew I wasn't crazy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules