Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Compiling OpenSSH 3.7p1

Compiling OpenSSH 3.7p1
justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2003, 06:29 PM

All, Have what is probably a pretty silly question for you all.

I've built and installed Openssh 3.7 on my machine, but sshd is having some problems. Whenever I attempt to connect, sshd drops the connection. When I turn on debug, I get the following:

debug1: permanently_set_uid: 75/75
setreuid 75: Operation not permitted
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x2525c(0x0)

I compiled with the following options:

--prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --with-tcp-wrappers

I've compiled and installed openssl 0.9.7b. I've also tried installing the latest openssl libraries in fink and then pointed the ssh compile at the fink libraries to no effect.

One funny thing is that, when I enable higher levels of debug, it'll sometimes (but not always) let me login.

I'm sure there's something stupid staring me in my face. Any help is appreciated.

geekwagon
Senior User
Sep 17, 2003, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by justinkim:

debug1: permanently_set_uid: 75/75
setreuid 75: Operation not permitted
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x2525c(0x0)
Sounds like it isn't able to do privilege separation right.. UID/GID 75 is the sshd user. Are you running sshd as root? I just looked on my unpatched version and sshd isn't normally set as suid root, so you will need to run it as root..

The other things to check would be that /var/empty exists (the directory that the privilege separation user runs from.)

I haven't upgraded mine yet (I'll probably just wait for Apple's update) so I haven't experienced this yet..

justinkim  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2003, 08:38 PM

Running as root

/var/empty is there.

I even just restarted the machine to see how it would come up.

I tell ya, this is driving me nuts

fitter
Senior User
Sep 17, 2003, 10:23 PM

3.7.x portable seems to be broken on OS X. See this thread:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=open...7313806726&w=2

You can do one of two things: use the uidswap.c from 3.6.1p2, as described here:

http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/~distler/...es/000221.html

Or apply the patch to the 3.6.1p2 source, and compile 3.6.1p2.

justinkim  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2003, 10:48 PM

Ahhhhhh swapping uidswap.c in did the trick. Many thanks! It's nice to know that I'm not off my rocker.

fitter
Senior User
Sep 17, 2003, 11:12 PM

OK, it actually appears the setreuid call is broken on OS X 10.2. Here's a minimal program that demonstrates the problem:

Code:
#include <errno.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <unistd.h> extern int errno; int main( int argc, char *argv[] ) { uid_t uid = 0; if ( geteuid() != 0 ) { fprintf( stderr, "%s must be run as root.\n", argv[ 0 ] ); exit( 1 ); } if ( argc != 2 ) { fprintf( stderr, "Usage: %s uid\n", argv[ 0 ] ); exit( 1 ); } uid = ( uid_t )atoi( argv[ 1 ] ); if ( setreuid( uid, uid ) < 0 ) { fprintf( stderr, "setreuid %d/%d: %s\n", uid, uid, strerror( errno )); exit( 2 ); } /* XXXX Never get here on OS X */ printf( "UID: %d\tEUID: %d", getuid(), geteuid()); return( 0 ); }
Compile this, and try running it as root with an existent uid as the parameter. You'll get the same error you encounter with OpenSSH 3.7.x portable.

fitter
Senior User
Sep 17, 2003, 11:38 PM

OK. Problem solved, I think. If you #define BROKEN_SETREUID 1 and #define BROKEN_SETREGID 1 in config.h (or acconfig.h, and rerun the configure script), the problem goes away.

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2003, 12:49 AM

This thread has compile instructions for OpenSSH 3.7:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

geekwagon
Senior User
Sep 18, 2003, 01:33 AM

Originally posted by fitter:
OK, it actually appears the setreuid call is broken on OS X 10.2. Here's a minimal program that demonstrates the problem:
I just tested this on 10.3 6B53 and it is broken there too.

chris01
Sep 21, 2003, 12:31 PM

Did you try the recently updated fink version? It seems like the fink developers patched OpenSSH. A new version was added two days ago to the fink unstable tree:

http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/package.php/openssh

Be sure to check that you get version 3.7.1p1-2

Chris.

PS: You could also look at the patch from fink.

fitter
Senior User
Sep 22, 2003, 10:06 AM

The OpenSSH developers have fixed the problem detecting the broken setreuid and setregid calls.

There's another bug, though: the sftp client doesn't properly parse quotation marks wrapping filenames when doing a get or a put. Example:

sftp> get "filename.txt"
Unterminated quote
sftp> get "filename.txt" "local-filename.txt"
Fetching /home/filename.txt to /Users/user
sftp>

The second command actually downloads filename.txt to a file with the name <space>. sftp is interpreting the closing quote of the source filename as the beginning quote of the destination filename. Hence the first command fails with an "Unterminated quote" error. If you do:

sftp> get "filename.txt"destination.txt"
Fetching /home/filename.txt to /Users/user/destination.txt

it works as expected.

A patch has been submitted, but it has not been applied yet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules