Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who needs sleep?

Who needs sleep?
joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2004, 03:27 AM

How much sleep is actually required in order to survive? I would really rather spend my time doing more productive things, so this is critical information!

I once slept only 5 hours across a span of 72 (programming + new baby)... I was pretty damn exhausted after that. Just wondering how this record stacks up against yours.

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2004, 03:37 AM

My friend is an insomniac and is lucky to get 2-3 hours sleep in 5 days. This has been the case for 12 years. He seems normal for the most part.

"If it's broke, you choke."

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 7, 2004, 03:56 AM

I've heard that 4 hours per day is the recommended minimum. Any less than that and you stop growing, your legs fall off... etc.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2004, 04:03 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Any less than that and you stop growing, your legs fall off... etc.
Well to tell you the truth my non-sleeping friend is 5.6 tall when his twin brother is 5.10!

"If it's broke, you choke."

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 7, 2004, 04:07 AM

Originally posted by Vader�s Pinch of Death:
Well to tell you the truth my non-sleeping friend is 5.6 tall when his twin brother is 5.10!
5'6? Ouch... I don't think I could survive if I were that short.

I am 6'6. I guess that is because I observe the '50/50 rule'. 50% of the day awake, 50% of the day asleep.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2004, 04:25 AM

I'm 6' 1" and come from a bunch of tree stumps...

I think I'm tall because I slept all the time when I was younger.

I now mock the short

I've had very bad insomnia in the past... I slept around 10 hours total during a week. (Note: I was in college, going psycho during finals week after my girlfriend unloaded me and my roommate [good friend] freaked out...

Man did that time in life suck...

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Feb 7, 2004, 04:30 AM

The important thing is to get enough REM sleep; if you are sleeping without REM phases you are better off being awake.

My record? Well-after coming back from work I took my Mountain bike for a 100km ride-stayed up all night partying-and took another bike trip (only 60km) the following morning. Crashed around 1 P.M. that day. 36 Hours without sleep but a lot of exercise!

Check out this study Less sleep-longer life
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2004, 04:32 AM

i wish i was asleep right now
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2004, 04:40 AM

I sleep for about 12 to 16 hours a day. During my awake time I drink cheap beer. Now that I think about it I have only drank beer and Snapple in the last 72 hours. That can't be good. Damn you tech boom of the late 90's. If I was poor I would have a job and wouldn't be allowed to live such a destructive lifestyle. A healthy stock market beat my liver into submission.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Feb 7, 2004, 04:44 AM

I usually get by on about 4-5 hours of sleep a night for about five days or so...then I typically have one day where I sleep for about 10-12 hours (or more).

Longest stretch awake? Woke up at 7am, worked all day, left for a friend's wedding in Cleveland at about 10pm...drove straight through (I thought it'd make the trip shorter, but my lack of sleep made it much longer, needing more pit-stops). Arrived in Cleveland about 5pm the next day. Went to a wedding rehearsal dinner and finally crashed about midnight...so about 41 hours without sleep, a good chunk of it on the road.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2004, 07:06 AM

When I go back home (i.e. during breaks or holidays), I can sleep at day. My parents thought that I did the same in my dorm. Actually the opposite. I wake up at 6:30am from Monday to Thurday.

Sometimes, I take a nap in the early evening.

I am addicted to coffee.. but it only works in the morning... I can still sleep even I had coffee at night.

Il Duce
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2004, 08:08 AM

I remember a lecture we had a uni about sleep. It is the body's way of regenerating the damage we do to it every day (going out in the sun, digesting food etc).

I believe the world record is somewhere between 11 and 14 days without sleep. The guy who did this became quite agitated after 3 or 4 days, and was experiencing full blown hallucinations towards the end. It's interesting to note that he only needed about a days sleep (IIRC) to recover.

And if you want to talk about lifespan, you should look at how much you eat, not how much you sleep. The process of turning food into energy has some nasty side effects (reactive oxygen species, commonly known as oxidative stress). These molecules literally eat their way through just about anything they come in contact with.

There was a guy who ate at a calorific deficit (just less than the number of calories he was burning) for years. Doctors refused to believe he was as old as he said he was, because his body (especially his heart, arteries, cholesterol and blood pressure) was that of a man 20 years younger. The only problem was that he hadn't been getting enough vitamins and minerals, so he went blind (vitamin deficiency)

a little food for thought...
The Duke

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2004, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
5'6? Ouch... I don't think I could survive if I were that short.

I am 6'6. I guess that is because I observe the '50/50 rule'. 50% of the day awake, 50% of the day asleep.
50/50 would be great...its more like 75% awake and 25% asleep for me...and 6'6 damn man can you dunk?

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2004, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by chalk_outline:
I sleep for about 12 to 16 hours a day. During my awake time I drink cheap beer. Now that I think about it I have only drank beer and Snapple in the last 72 hours. That can't be good. Damn you tech boom of the late 90's. If I was poor I would have a job and wouldn't be allowed to live such a destructive lifestyle. A healthy stock market beat my liver into submission.
i dont have to give you my paypal account do i.

in the name of your health, of course.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2004, 01:47 PM

I usually sleep about 8 hours each night, which is recommended. Normal seems to be 6 - 8 hours. The body needs the time to repair itself each night.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

gadster
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2004, 02:26 PM

It's 5.20 am and about . . . hang on, doing conversion . . . 85�F.

I really ought to go to bed, but it's too hot. And I am really enjoying these beers.
e-gads

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2004, 02:27 PM

Gimme 6 hours and I'm happy...any less and well, I'm still happy...

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2004, 02:40 PM

I'm averaging about four hours per night. But not every night - I did about three hours this afternoon after being awake for 36 hours. It varies.

I read somewhere that a rest is nearly as good as a sleep. So that hour-long soak in the tub could take an hour off the sleep requirement.

I'm guessing, but what I get from that is along the lines of:
� Sleep is required only to give the brain a break.
� The body can rest as effectively as if one was asleep simply by being motionless.

gadster
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2004, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
I'm averaging about four hours per night. But not every night - I did about three hours this afternoon after being awake for 36 hours. It varies.

I read somewhere that a rest is nearly as good as a sleep. So that hour-long soak in the tub could take an hour off the sleep requirement.

I'm guessing, but what I get from that is along the lines of:
� Sleep is required only to give the brain a break.
� The body can rest as effectively as if one was asleep simply by being motionless.
See, I just knew you looked funny.
e-gads

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2004, 04:56 PM

last week I slept about 13 hours each day-mainly because I have a depression. taking pills etc.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2004, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by gadster:
See, I just knew you looked funny.
Dude. The only picture you've seen on these forums posted by me was one of Eric Stoltz (the actor). I don't have any pictures of myself, so posted the next best thing. Stoltz could be Sherwie's twin.

gadster
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2004, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Dude. The only picture you've seen on these forums posted by me was one of Eric Stoltz (the actor). I don't have any pictures of myself, so posted the next best thing. Stoltz could be Sherwie's twin.

Oh hang on, I got you mixed up with that other bloke, . . . hang on . . . Kilbey! I DO beg your pardon. Well that just shattered a whole little world I had constructed.
e-gads

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2004, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by gadster:
Oh hang on, I got you mixed up with that other bloke, . . . hang on . . . Kilbey! I DO beg your pardon. Well that just shattered a whole little world I had constructed.
Fear not. Right 'tude, wrong picture.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2004, 07:12 PM

*This post has expired due to lack of sleep*
( Last edited by ghost_flash; Feb 8, 2004 at 04:14 AM. )

SomeToast
Senior User
Feb 8, 2004, 03:47 AM

Originally posted by nredman:
...and 6'6 damn man can you dunk?
I ask short people if they're jockeys.

I did a 52 hour stretch in college once during finals. After making it to the second morning, it wasn't so bad.

One year, I was curious just how much time I spent in bed so I started writing down the times I turned in and got up again.

Of course, that was January 1, 1981 and I've been doing it ever since. Have to tally those numbers one day.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2004, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by joltguy:
How much sleep is actually required in order to survive? I would really rather spend my time doing more productive things, so this is critical information!
It'd be suck-ass way to die. Saw a medical show on this once. Horrifying.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2004, 04:14 AM

benign
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2004, 08:56 AM

As long as you get to dream, who
cares how much downtime you got.

Simple Empire...

joltguy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2004, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the links and info...

Back in high school, I'd actually get angry with myself if I overslept on a Saturday or Sunday. I figured I had so little free time that sleeping was a waste of it. Somehow, I don't think this was the same opinion of most of my peers...

Now I'm married with 2 children under 3 years of age. I generally get to sleep 4.5 - 6.0 [interrupted] hours a night, regardless of what day it is.

Peorth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2004, 12:16 PM

If it's during the week, I usually try and get 7 hours or more a night.

If it's on the weekend or during some holiday I'll usually get 2 to 5 hours per day maybe less.

Powerbook 15" 1.25 Ghz, 512 RAM, 80 gig HD, Superdrive

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 8, 2004, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
...and 6'6 damn man can you dunk?
Ha... Please...

Who needs sports when computers exist.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2004, 06:14 PM

Depends. currently I'm 4 hours away from the 24 hour mark -- no naps!

I won't be going to bed until 11 or so, which is another 9 hours away. I guess I'll hit 30 hours tonight

cszar 36 hours?! DAYUM dude I think after that dance I would have been delerious.

Back a week ago I had college early and didn't sleep at all, pulled an all nighter and woke up at about 11 the day before..

I think I hit about 30 hours that time, maybe 35.. what I do know is that when I laid down it was too early for bed and I woke up at like 3am..

My sleep schedule has been WAY off track for 2 weeks now. I need to fix this
Aloha

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 12:31 AM

You can die faster from no sleep than from not eating.

Seems like the more I sleep the more tired I get.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Forum Links
Forum Rules