Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Pixelated Text in PS Elements

Pixelated Text in PS Elements
kjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2004, 10:57 PM

Can anyone help me out?

I'm trying to add text to a PS document. I cannot for the life of me get it to show up clearly. It's always pixelated. I've tried turning anti-aliasing on and off. It looks better when AA is on, but it is no where close to as clear as I need it. I'm looking for clarity equal to that of MS Word or something, but this stuff looks like it right out of the old Atari 2600 days.

I'm using PS Elements 2.0 if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kev

siMac
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 06:51 AM

Increase the resolution of your document.

The text will still be made of pixels, but the more pixels PS has to play with the smoother the result will be.

Word and similar programs use PostScript (vector) data for font display/output and therefore are resolution independent. Photoshop is a pixel editing program and therefore renders text as pixels. Newer versions of Photoshop (I'm not sure about Elements) will allow you to save both pixel and vector data in a PSD or PDF document which can then be used for high resolutuion output.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2004, 08:18 PM

Which font are you trying to use, and how are you trying to use it?
perhaps post a screen shot of what you're getting, and if need be, maybe even the PSD.
I'm sure we can help.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2004, 11:27 AM

Pixel bases fonts keep this from being an issue if you are building for the web and naturally you are limited.

These websites have free fonts that are available for download BUT the designers ask for you to contact them if you want the font for commercial use.
http://www.monochrom.de.vu/
http://www.superlooper.de/

If you are building for print, then siMac nailed it. The only thing additional is to build the file to the exact size of the usage. Many RIPs still do not support sending the vector fonts from Photoshop so it is better not to risk it.

There is always the third option, build the image in Photoshop, do the type in Illustrator - no problems in that senerio.

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2004, 03:39 PM

If you're looking for pixel fonts, IMO you won't find a better package than these:

http://www.miniml.com/fonts/

But it sounds like you're trying to create a print document. Let me ask the obvious...
Do you have your document set to 300 DPI ?

Yes, this is a windows screen shot, but it's online and saves me the hassle of taking screen caps and hosting them. When you create a new document, be sure that the 'Resolution' is set to at least 300 pixels/inch

I'm guess right now you have it set to 72

kjb  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2004, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by siMac:
Increase the resolution of your document.

The text will still be made of pixels, but the more pixels PS has to play with the smoother the result will be.

Word and similar programs use PostScript (vector) data for font display/output and therefore are resolution independent. Photoshop is a pixel editing program and therefore renders text as pixels. Newer versions of Photoshop (I'm not sure about Elements) will allow you to save both pixel and vector data in a PSD or PDF document which can then be used for high resolutuion output.
This did the trick. I am confused though: I scanned in an image at 300 dpi using the "import" menu item. But when I went to check the resolution, it was set at 72. Bumping it back to 300 did the trick. Can anyone think of why it defaulted back to 72?

Thanks for the help!

Kev

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2004, 09:01 PM

72 dpi is the standard for web use.
Photoshop defaults to that setting.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2004, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by Eyenovation:
72 dpi is the standard for web use.