Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dimebag Darrell RIP

Dimebag Darrell RIP
cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2004, 08:44 AM

What a tragedy! He was a legend...
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/149...headlines=true

Now what?
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

Fiend
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2004, 08:47 AM

The other bandmate, name not released, has been reported to be Vinnie.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 9, 2004, 08:55 AM

:/

TruthBeSaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2004, 08:59 AM

Nothing new here is it. Death Metal, nu-metal, grundge, punks always attract violent types. You sing to them and they'll come.

The Pide Piper of Hamlein was eventually murdered by the children he brainwashed and stole from their families.

Lotta insecurity and mental problems in the music world. Michael Jackson screws kids, Gary Glitter screws kids, Pete Townsend paid to download kiddie pawrn, Kurt killed by Courtney, Nancy shot by Sid, Phil Spector shoots a girl in the head.

Suicidal teenagers told to be more depressed than they already are.

Boys told to call their girls bittches, beat them up and cut their throats.

Hand over 10 bucks for the LP and 20 for the concert. They need your money to pay for the next line of angel dust. Fuuck your head and surrender your soul.

Hang on a minute. Entertainment doesn't influence anyone. We are all strong and uninfluenced. Trust me. I'm counting my royalties. A dime for every crime makes a rich man.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 9, 2004, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by TruthBeSaid:
Kurt killed by Courtney,

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2004, 09:19 AM

Wow, holy ****.

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2004, 09:21 AM

Shutup, assmonkey. It's a musical style, nothing more. Just FYI, I'm a huge metal fan, and I'm among the least violent people you'll ever meet. Most of us are. We listen to this music because the volume and agression and content are in tune with what we feel. It's a rare occasion that you see a metal-head bashing other people for their musical choices, yet everybody bashes us. Whatever. I'm not here to call you an idiot, you idiot.

Darrell was one of the most real people in the music industry. A good guy, more talented than pretty much anybody else one the planet. Pantera was the first metal group I ever heard. I am just learning to play the guitar, guess who my idol is. I was supposed to see them tonight, hoping to be another screaming fanboy wanting a guitar pick.

My world is a little emptier now.

I will miss you Dime.

http://www.metal-sludge.com/main/ind...age&pageid=843

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 9, 2004, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by iNub:
Darrell was one of the most real people in the music industry.

Indeed. The killer should be glad he is dead. Zakk was good friends with Darrell.

A good guy, more talented than pretty much anybody else one the planet.

He was a good guitarist. Lets leave it at that.

He was a nice down to earth guy. He never had the rock star trip.

I bet this was over drugs somehow. Who knows.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2004, 09:25 AM

Shutup, assmonkey. It's a musical style, nothing more. Just FYI, I'm a huge metal fan, and I'm among the least violent people you'll ever meet.
Ganhdi was another pacificist who enjoyed calling people assmonkey, btw.

First ODB, now Dimebag (whoever he was). Who's next in the they-always-come-in-three category.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

TruthBeSaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2004, 09:25 AM

Shutup, assmonkey.

I'm among the least violent people you'll ever meet.

The volume and agression and content are in tune with what we feel.

I'm not here to call you an idiot, you idiot.

My world is a little emptier now.

I'm your shrink.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 9, 2004, 09:28 AM

I'm just another troll

TruthBeSaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2004, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I'm a fundie Christian who pretends to be Jewish to hide my ideas of Armageddon.
Fixed.

Read your posts. Now I'm your shrink too.

cacarr1  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2004, 09:32 AM

Nothing new here is it.
However, I can't think of one time when a fan jumped on stage and started killing members of the band and fans in the crowd.

Though I'm not sure if you're being genuine or not (i.e., I can't imagine a smart person really believing what you had to say, unless you're being sarcastic).

Chris.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 9, 2004, 09:33 AM

Fixed.

Read your posts. Now I'm your shrink too.
See! I was right.

So why are you hiding behind this nick troll boy?

And pretends to be Jewish?

Get a grip.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 9, 2004, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by cacarr1:
However, I can't think of one time when a fan jumped on stage and started killing members of the band and fans in the crowd.

Though I'm not sure if you're being genuine or not (i.e., I can't imagine a smart person really believing what you had to say, unless you're being sarcastic).

Chris.
Someone's family will probably sue someone. The Club, Security, who knows.

Something went wrong. How did the guy get a gun in the place?

Fiend
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2004, 09:35 AM

Someone's family will probably sue someone. The Club, Security, who knows.

Something went wrong. How did the guy get a gun in the place?
Some of the spots around here for shows don't even check for tickets, let alone pat someone down. While there is security, the are more there to watch the band too.

TruthBeSaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2004, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by cacarr1:

Chris.
I am being genuine. I am concerned.

There's a reason things happen.

People don't just get out of bed one morning and say they're going to kill someone today.

What happened the night before?

Fanboys praying for guitar picks can't answer that anymore than fundie Christians answering the accusations of Christian crimes and brainwashing. The music is their bread wafer and wine. The musician is his priest.

TruthBeSaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2004, 09:38 AM

How did the guy get a gun in the place?
It's America.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 9, 2004, 09:39 AM

Fanboys praying for guitar picks can't answer that anymore than fundie Christians answering the accusations of Christian crimes and brainwashing. The music is their bread wafer and wine. The musician is his priest.
It's America.

TruthBeSaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2004, 09:48 AM

[img]image of Zimphire
This image was drilled into your head from birth.

The image was adopted by musicians to take advantage of your subconscious association between a long haired skinny man and nobility.

You are entranced. Hand over your cash.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 9, 2004, 09:49 AM

You speak as if you know what I was told at birth.

Enough with your pretentious babble.

Go play in the traffic.

TruthBeSaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2004, 09:51 AM

Go play in the traffic.
Mac, Bible, rock music. Defend your creature comforts at all costs.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2004, 09:52 AM

This sucks....

Anyone confirm the Vinnie rumor?

EDIT: I guess I could spell correctly
( Last edited by Daracle; Dec 9, 2004 at 10:11 AM. )
Who reads this???

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 9, 2004, 09:52 AM

I didn't listen to Pantera. Ever.

You are being pretentious again BTW.

Fiend
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2004, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by Daracle:
This sucks....

Anyone confirm the Vinny rumor?
Pantera's website is flooded. Nothing is loading 'cept the first page. That is the only site I read (early this morning) that mentioned Vinnie too.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2004, 09:55 AM

Welcome to society. Welcome to internet.

Can't we get back on topic? What is this Vinnie rumor?

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 9, 2004, 09:57 AM

Someone said he got shot too?

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 09:58 AM

Darrell, real name Darrell Abbott,...

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 9, 2004, 10:01 AM

Fiend
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2004, 10:01 AM

here is what i had from cached info on pantera's site. it was a list of the news sites with reports of the shootings so far. the front of the pantera page (www.pantera.com) says Darrell and Vinnie were shot.

so far, only Darrell is listed as dead.

---------------- browser cache below --------------------

12/09/04 Reports are coming in from Columbus, Ohio, where an alleged shooting occurred at Alrossa Villa, the nightclub where Damageplan was performing tonight. The earliest reports indicate that Dimebag Darrell and one other band member were among those killed.

The following is posted at the Web site of WCMH TV Channel 4, the NBC affiliate in Columbus at http://www.nbc4i.com/news/3983630/detail.html (video report here)

At Least 5 Dead, 2 Wounded In Nightclub Shooting
Witnesses: Alleged Guman Went Onto Stage, Fired Shots

POSTED: 10:32 pm EST December 8, 2004
UPDATED: 1:40 am EST December 9, 2004

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- At least five people died and two others were wounded after a shooting at a Columbus nightclub on Wednesday night, NBC 4 reported.

The shooting took place shortly after 10 p.m. at Alrosa Villa, located at 5055 Sinclair Road.

Two members of the heavy metal band Damageplan were reportedly shot and killed, including Dimebag Darrell, formerly with the band Pantera, NBC 4's David Wayne reported. The other band member's name was not released. The alleged gunman also died at the scene, Wayne reported.

Columbus police Sgt. Brent Mall said the alleged gunman appeared to be targeting the band members. After shooting at the stage, the gunman opened fire on the crowd. At that point, an officer shot man dead, Mall added. Police said there could have been many more fatalities had the officer not killed the gunman.

Shortly after the band began playing its first song, a man reportedly ran onto the stage and began shooting, according to a witness who identified himself as Sean. Some members of the audience reportedly thought the man running onto the stage with a gun was part of the band's act, NBC 4's Erin Tate reported.

Witnesses said that several shots were fired at the band. Witnesses said that a bouncer at the club tackled the alleged gunman before that person was shot and killed.

NBC 4 reported that of the surviving victims, one person was in critical condition while the other was in fair condition. Several others were treated at the scene, suffering from various injuries.

Alrosa Villa is a popular north Columbus nightspot for young adults, featuring rock and heavy metal bands, NBC 4 reported.

According to the band's Web site, Damageplan was touring nationally. It performed in Buffalo, N.Y., on Tuesday night and had a concert scheduled in Flint, Mich., on Thursday.

Damageplan featured former Pantera artists Dimebag Darrell and Vinnie Paul. The pair were joined by vocalist Patrick Lachman and bassist Bobzilla, according to their Web site.

CNN.com has also posted the following article which includes eyewitness accounts:

Gunman kills 4 at Ohio nightclub
Police officer shoots suspect to death
Thursday, December 9, 2004 Posted: 2:12 AM EST (0712 GMT)

COLUMBUS, Ohio (CNN) -- A gunman opened fire Wednesday night during a heavy metal concert in Columbus, killing four people -- including at least one member of the band -- and critically wounding at least two others before a police officer shot and killed him, according to Columbus police.

The attacker leapt onstage as the group, Damageplan, performed, and began "targeting members in the band," Sgt. Brent Mull said.

Two others were injured in the incident, although the nature of their injuries was not clear.

According to eyewitness accounts, the gunman initially shot and killed the band's guitarist, Dimebag Darrell. Darrell, 38, and his brother, Vinnie Paul, 40, are former members of Pantera -- a group they formed in the 1980s. Their father is Jerry Abbott, a country and western songwriter and producer.

Police were notified of the shooting at the Alrosa Villa nightclub on the city's north end around 10:18 p.m. ET, Mull said. A uniformed police officer who was in the area slipped into the venue from a back entrance, confronted the gunman during the rampage and killed him.

"If not for the officer who showed up, there would have been more dead," Mull said.

Police have roped off a huge area of the nightclub's parking lot, as 60 detectives question hundreds of witnesses. Police have brought in buses to keep the witnesses warm as they wait to be questioned.

Calvin Bota said he saw the shooting from the mosh pit right in front of the stage, shortly after the band began playing.

"Somebody came -- I don't know where they came from, out of the audience or whatnot -- but they come onto (the) stage and ... he shot the guitarist at first, fired a couple of other shots and then he hid behind the stage a little bit," Bota told WSYX.

"Everybody started scattering, you know, there's mayhem everywhere. And then a police officer came into the building, you know, came in professional with his gun raised and then he proceeded to shoot the guy."

Gerald Caudill told WSYX the gunman shot the guitarist at least four times.

"I was up close to the stage and I just saw some guy run up on the side of the stage and I heard some shots and I saw (drummer) Vinnie Paul and somebody jumped on top of Vinnie, and the guy just stayed around the stage and started shooting other people," Caudill said.

"I saw wounded people all over the place, out in the parking lot, inside," he said. "It just didn't sound like gunshots or anything, it didn't occur to me that something like that was happening."

CNN Producer Steve Brusk in Columbus contributed to this report.

WCPO-TV Channel 9, the ABC affiliate in Cincinnati, posted another report at http://www.wcpo.com/news/2004/local/...oting_ap.html, which includes comments from a law enforcement official and additional first-hand accounts:

Five Dead, Two Injured In Columbus Nightclub Shooting

Reported by: A.P.
Web produced by: Neil Relyea
Photographed by: 9News
12/9/2004 12:23:15 AM

A man opened fire in a crowded nightclub during a rock concert Wednesday night, killing at least four people and wounding at least two others before he was shot to death by police, authorities said.

A man walked on stage during the show at the Alrosa Villa and opened fire on band members, killing four people and wounding at least two others, said Columbus police spokesman Sgt. Brent Mull, adding that more people could have been shot and left the scene before authorities arrived.

Mull said a police officer shot and killed the gunman. It wasn't immediately clear whether the officer was already at the show or had responded to an emergency call.

Columbus resident Chris Couch, 22, said the shooting occurred about 30 seconds after the show's headliner, DAMAGEPLAN, had begun playing.

Couch, who was standing about 30 feet away from the stage, noticed a man wearing a hooded sweatshirt and hockey jersey walk up to the stage, followed by a bouncer and another club employee.

The man in the jersey climbed onto the stage, started yelling and shot the guitarist five or six times at close range, Couch said.

Couch said the gunman also shot a bouncer who pulled him off the musician.

At that point, Couch and a friend headed for the exit along with a tide of hundreds of fans.

It appeared the gunman purposely sought out the guitarist, whom Couch identified as a performer who went by the name "Dimebag Darrell."

Authorities didn't immediately provide the identities of the victims.

"It was definitely a grudge. It was against something," Couch said.

Amanda Stankus, 19, who attended the show with Couch, said she initially thought the shooting was part of the show.

"I just saw the guitarist fall down, and we decided to get out of there," said Stankus, of Columbus.

Stankus said she didn't see any metal detectors or uniformed police officers at the venue and that she wasn't searched or frisked on her way in.

WBNS-10 TV in Columbus first posted the following information on their Web site at http://www.wbns10tv.com/Global/story...&nav=LUERTzwc:

Reports of a shooting at Al Rosa Villa on Sinclair Road in North Columbus.

Three people are dead and at least seven are wounded.

Three people in critical condition were taken to Riverside Hospital.

One person was taken to Grant Hospital in stable condition, with a gunshot wound to the thigh.

A triage center has been set up behind the restaurant to help victims with minor injuries still on the scene.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2004, 10:16 AM

This sucks.
Even if you didnt listen to Dimebag, Most people would some sort of respect for the guy just for his guitar skills.

For him to go out like this is a disappointment, but as cheesy as it sounds, at least he was on stage where he loved to be when it happened.
Who reads this???

TruthBeSaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2004, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by Daracle:
This sucks.
Even if you didnt listen to Dimebag, Most people would some sort of respect for the guy just for his guitar skills.

For him to go out like this is a disappointment, but as cheesy as it sounds, at least he was on stage where he loved to be when it happened.
The publicity campaign will start tomorrow.

The book. The documentaries. The Best of CD.

He'll be a legend.

The men in suits will be getting huge bonuses next year.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2004, 10:43 AM

I dont think it will go that far...
Who reads this???

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 11:11 AM

That is sad. Having said that, (and I'll probably get flamed for this), but I never thought Dimebag was overly talented - good, but no genius. Nevertheless that doesn't diminish the tragedy of this. I'm glad that an officer happened to show up before the guy killed more people.

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2004, 11:12 AM

Vinnie is fine, according to people claiming to have been there. One guy says he loaned Vinnie his cell phone to make a call.

For future reference, Dimebag was known for throwing massive amounts of guitar picks into the mosh pit. Kind of a trademark. By me saying, "I wanted a guitar pick," what I really mean to say is, "this man is an idol to me, and I'm saddened by the fact that I'll never be able to see him perform again." But some folks are too stupid to understand that, because you're a pseudo-cynical trendwhore.

On topic: That club needs to be shut down, apparently it has a very violent history. I've never been to a heavy metal club that's violent or even unwelcoming. And I live in Flint, one of the most hostile towns to "not ordinary" people I've ever lived in.

I guess this isn't exactly the board to express my feeling of loss, you guys don't seem to be too much of a "metal" crowd.

Fiend
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2004, 11:15 AM

Vinnie is fine, according to people claiming to have been there. One guy says he loaned Vinnie his cell phone to make a call.

For future reference, Dimebag was known for throwing massive amounts of guitar picks into the mosh pit. Kind of a trademark. By me saying, "I wanted a guitar pick," what I really mean to say is, "this man is an idol to me, and I'm saddened by the fact that I'll never be able to see him perform again." But some folks are too stupid to understand that, because you're a pseudo-cynical trendwhore.

On topic: That club needs to be shut down, apparently it has a very violent history. I've never been to a heavy metal club that's violent or even unwelcoming. And I live in Flint, one of the most hostile towns to "not ordinary" people I've ever lived in.

I guess this isn't exactly the board to express my feeling of loss, you guys don't seem to be too much of a "metal" crowd.
Harpo's here in Detroit can get pretty rough sometime. They have had several shootings in the past 15 years in the lots and streets around the venue, mostly drug related or car jackings. As for inside, fights, stretchers and cops are a given.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2004, 11:18 AM

I picked up on the pick reference.
Pantera came through Calgary maybe 2 years ago...Maybe more.
I missed them but my best friend was there and he was in awe....I was just thinking about me missing that concert last week too and how much i regret it.
Who reads this???

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 11:22 AM

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2004, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
That is sad. Having said that, (and I'll probably get flamed for this), but I never thought Dimebag was overly talented - good, but no genius. Nevertheless that doesn't diminish the tragedy of this. I'm glad that an officer happened to show up before the guy killed more people.
xi: Truth is in the eye of the beholder. Honestly though, the things that Dimebag does -- did are just as difficult, if not more, than some of the other greats like Jimi or The Eagles. It's just that nobody is willing to appreciate it because of the style of the music. If I might make a suggestion, try and find a song called "Blue Light Turnin' Red". This is a guitar solo from an early Pantera album (in their woefully long hair band days) that will peel the skin off your scalp. Keep in mind that this solo was done when he was only 18, having been banned from several guitar contests for winning too much.

Darrell entered several Texas State guitar contests and won them all. He was so good that organisers of the guitaring contents decided to ban him because they had to give other people a go. He was 16 years old when they banned him. One of the prizes Darrell won was a Dean ML guitar in a sunburt colour scheme.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 11:32 AM

xi: Truth is in the eye of the beholder. Honestly though, the things that Dimebag does -- did are just as difficult, if not more, than some of the other greats like Jimi or The Eagles. It's just that nobody is willing to appreciate it because of the style of the music. If I might make a suggestion, try and find a song called "Blue Light Turnin' Red". This is a guitar solo from an early Pantera album (in their woefully long hair band days) that will peel the skin off your scalp. Keep in mind that this solo was done when he was only 18, having been banned from several guitar contests for winning too much.
Well, you are right, and my opinion is only just that. I'm sure some of the musicians I idolize wouldn't do anything for others in particular. Regardless, the world was better with him and the other fallen in it, and it is sad that some heroin-addicted loser can waste so much life in a matter of seconds.

I think yesterday was also the anniversary of John Lennon's murder as well.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 11:43 AM

First John Lennon, now this.

Further off-topic posts deleted - with apologies to Darrell Abbott fans and fellow MacNNers.
( Last edited by DBursey; Dec 9, 2004 at 11:27 PM. )

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 9, 2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by DBursey:
Absolutely sad, sad, sad.

Americans, progress with the rest of the civilized world and dispense with your rapturous gun fetish!
If you ban guns. Only losers like this guy will own them. The policeman that saved more people wouldn't have been able to take him out.

Do you think that criminals care about gun laws?

DBursey
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 11:48 AM

( Last edited by DBursey; Dec 9, 2004 at 11:14 PM. )

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 9, 2004, 11:50 AM

Actually when I used to play on stage, I wasn't really paying attention to anything but what I was doing and the beat.

But my point still stands. Ban guns and only criminals will have them.

I know people that have already devised there own guns and ammo.

Banning guns isn't going to take guns away from losers like this guy.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 11:50 AM

( Last edited by DBursey; Dec 9, 2004 at 11:14 PM. )

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 9, 2004, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by DBursey:
Zimph; your (quickly!) edited post makes more sense. I agree that only police and other law enforcement officers should be permitted to own & carry firearms.
Right, so if someone breaks into your house with a gun. The police are really going to help you a lot in that case eh?

By the time the police gets there, it's usually over with.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2004, 11:53 AM

Since there are interested people...
Here is an update

Here....

I guess Vinnie is alright and the singer is the other victim...Not yet confirmed.
But they also mention it had something to do with the Breakup of Pantera. EDIT: Also not confirmed.
Who reads this???

badidea
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 11:58 AM

The policeman that saved more people wouldn't have been able to take him out.

(you know that it is possible to ban guns and still allow them for policemen!?)

DBursey
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 11:59 AM

( Last edited by DBursey; Dec 9, 2004 at 11:15 PM. )

Cipher13
Dec 9, 2004, 12:00 PM

Back to the point... this is terrible. I was never a huge Pantera fan (was mostly into harder stuff), but you couldn't deny their influence and talent. This is indeed a sad day for metal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules