Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Canada: Hockey Superpower

Canada: Hockey Superpower
DBursey
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2005, 08:58 AM

Canada crowned world junior champs

With last night's gold medal tour-de-force, Canada's junior squad solidified our hold over all major international hockey tournaments. Canada's golden six-pack now includes:

World Juniors - Gold
Olympic Mens' - Gold
Olympic Womens'- Gold
World Cup Championship
World Championship (Men)
World Championship (Women)

Canada's 6 - 1 disassembly of the Jr. Russian squad re-established the Canadian juniors - which did not trail in scoring at any time during their tournament sweep - as the world's best.

Excellent performances by the likes of Sidney Crosby, Jeff Carter, Patrice Bergeron and Dion Phaneuf were essentially overshadowed by Team Canada's consistently high level of skilled, physical play throughout the lineup. Possibly the best junior team Canada has iced in years, this group reflects well on the exceptional brood of hockey talent currently under incubation within the nurturing confines of our national junior hockey programme.

Congratulations to the players, the coaching staff (led by yet another successful Sutter), to Hockey Canada officials and to all Canadian hockey fans currently suffering through our winter of discontent. Let it end soon, boys!

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2005, 09:41 AM

Wow, that's brave - posting a thread about the Canadians being the best at something, outside the polidiot-lounge...

DarwinX
Jan 5, 2005, 10:16 AM

I was at various games of the tournament, though I was not at last nights Gold Medal game. Needless to say, team Canada was head and shoulders above the competition. I was a bit torn on who to cheer for considering you Canadian fans really had it out for team USA, but after hearing you had lost to Russia 3 times previous in the past years I had a feeling you were going to stick it to them. Your team was impressive to watch! Congrats

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by badidea:
Wow, that's brave - posting a thread about the Canadians being the best at something, outside the polidiot-lounge...
Nah, we always post about our hockey victories here!

Great series, really shows what the youngsters all around the hockey world can do when given the chance to shine.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2005, 10:49 AM

Canadians are good at ice hockey? Whodathunkit?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

roberto blanco
Senior User
Jan 5, 2005, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by ort888:
Canadians are good at ice hockey? Whodathunkit?
i remember a time where practically all of those titles belonged to the soviet hockey teams.

anyway, impressive record there. go canada.

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2005, 11:00 AM

That's because the Soviets were fielding professional teams and the rest of the word was fielding amateurs.

Now all the best Russian players end up playing in the NHL and when it comes time for world competition they don't have years of practice playing as a team.

t6hawk
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2005, 11:08 AM

The one thing that even the news media picked up on is that out of all the games, the final was the only one sold out and was mostly Canadians in attendance. But either way, Canada won again. I do remember back in the olympics the US team made it to the finals... what happened this time?
:)

roberto blanco
Senior User
Jan 5, 2005, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by ort888:
That's because the Soviets were fielding professional teams...
no they weren't. they were all army employees...

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by DBursey:
Canada crowned world junior champs

With last night's gold medal tour-de-force, Canada's junior squad solidified our hold over all major international hockey tournaments.
Except the Stanley Cup.

/Flames fan
/damn Tampa Bay

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2005, 11:16 AM

how is this thread any different than this thread?

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2005, 11:23 AM

Canada should take pride in this - after all, they are good at their national sport.

Meanwhile, the U.S. gets embarrassed in the Olympics in basketball, but that's better than not qualifying for the Olympics in baseball.

The only sport the U.S. dominates in that we invented is football (the one with the pads and helmets, not soccer.) Of course, nobody else plays that as international competition. And Canadians play it all wrong - they have no problem with trap defenses and low scoring in hockey, but want high scoring football - wider fields, three downs, pass pass pass pass.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
The only sport the U.S. dominates in that we invented is football (the one with the pads and helmets, not soccer.) Of course, nobody else plays that as international competition. And Canadians play it all wrong - they have no problem with trap defenses and low scoring in hockey, but want high scoring football - wider fields, three downs, pass pass pass pass.
Maybe not:
"Football is Canadian, is was invented in the 1600s by British replacement troops coming to the Citadel in Quebec. Canadian Universities introduced it to American Collages in the 18oos, by that time Canada had a professional league of sorts. Check the Canadian Football Hall Of Fame web site for details."

We did perfect it though. I went to a CFL game when I spent 6 mo. in Canada. I like the endzone extra point thing but 3 downs is stupid.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
Except the Stanley Cup.
Interesting tidbit: the Stanley Cup is not owned by the NHL but an independent body, so it could be presented to the World Junior team, or any other winning team, as long as Canadian teams are involved.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2005, 12:07 PM

Canada should take pride in this - after all, they are good at their national sport.

Meanwhile, the U.S. gets embarrassed in the Olympics in basketball, but that's better than not qualifying for the Olympics in baseball.

I'm sure that if the USA picked the best 10 basketball player and let them play as a team for a while they would crush all those who stood in their path. The basketball loss was due to other circumstances. Mostly big egos and not playing as a team.

DarwinX
Jan 5, 2005, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by t6hawk:
The one thing that even the news media picked up on is that out of all the games, the final was the only one sold out and was mostly Canadians in attendance. But either way, Canada won again. I do remember back in the olympics the US team made it to the finals... what happened this time?
I do believe it was the most successful tournament, out of the times it has been held in America.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 12:23 PM

Actually Lacrosse is our national sport

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
Hockey AND Lacrosse are the national sports. We have two sports, two languages, etc. Vive la difference!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 5, 2005, 01:01 PM

Officially, hockey is Canada's National Winter Sport and lacrosse is Canada's National Summer Sport.

And Canadians play it all wrong - they have no problem with trap defenses and low scoring in hockey, but want high scoring football - wider fields, three downs, pass pass pass pass.
I don't understand how having three downs is conducive to high scoring football. I do prefer the style of football in Canada though. Too bad the players aren't as good.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Officially, hockey is Canada's National Winter Sport and lacrosse is Canada's National Summer Sport.
Two seasons? What a country! </Yakov Smirnoff>

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2005, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
I don't understand how having three downs is conducive to high scoring football. I do prefer the style of football in Canada though. Too bad the players aren't as good.
Well, having three downs encourages more passing. But specifically the higher scoring would be because of the wider, more open style of play.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2005, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
Isn't drinking the national sport?

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2005, 05:35 PM

Isn't drinking the national sport?
That's our national pastime.

Chris

hayesk
Jan 5, 2005, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
Hockey AND Lacrosse are the national sports. We have two sports, two languages, etc. Vive la difference!
Hockey was only added a few years ago. It is the national winter sport. Lacrosse is the national summer sport. Before a few years ago, it was only Lacrosse. Which is also an enjoyable came to play and watch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules