Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can this be done....

Can this be done....
Win2Mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 12:39 PM

Is there a way to have a PowerBook (or iBook) perform a remote connection to a PowerMac and run the PowerMac with all it's programs from the PowerBook. In other words, is there a way to export the display of the PowerMac to the PowerBook.

For example, sometimes I need to telecommute to work and from my home machine, after connecting to the company network, I can do a remote desktop connection to my computer at work and it looks the same as if I was sitting at work. Can this be done between the PowerMac and the PowerBook or iBook?
One to soon switch from Windows,

Win2Mac
Jn. 6:53

jpg71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 01:43 PM

Sorta like this?

Apple Remote Desktop
http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

VNC
http://www.redstonesoftware.com/vnc.html

Also, you can Remote Control your Windows machines from OS X as well:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherpr...edesktopclient
( Last edited by jpg71; Jan 11, 2005 at 01:49 PM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 11, 2005, 07:34 PM

The only app really suitable for doing this is Timbuktu. (ARD is for lab management, VNC is too slow.)

tooki

qualey2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2005, 08:56 PM

And rdc sucks A** !!! gotta log of a running machine to use it and the GUI sucks as well.

Win2Mac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2005, 12:08 PM

Thanx for the info. The reason for the question is that my wife and I are planning some additions to the house in which case we need to use the walk-in closet, which now is being used as an office. So I though I could just have a PowerMac hidden in the closet, connected to a wireless router, and just remote login to it to run apps on it from a PB or iBook.

Let me ask another question that is somewhat related. If I use the machine that I have now, which is a PC, but load Linux on it and install the apps I need, is it possible to export the display of those apps to the PB by using X11 on the PB?

Win2Mac

Win2Mac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2005, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by qualey2:
And rdc sucks A** !!! gotta log of a running machine to use it and the GUI sucks as well.
What do you mean by "gotta log off a running machine to use it"?

Win2Mac

jpg71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2005, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Win2Mac:
Thanx for the info. The reason for the question is that my wife and I are planning some additions to the house in which case we need to use the walk-in closet, which now is being used as an office. So I though I could just have a PowerMac hidden in the closet, connected to a wireless router, and just remote login to it to run apps on it from a PB or iBook.

Let me ask another question that is somewhat related. If I use the machine that I have now, which is a PC, but load Linux on it and install the apps I need, is it possible to export the display of those apps to the PB by using X11 on the PB?
ARD or VNC would do what you'd want, and over a LAN, the performance would be fine. I don't have any experience with Timbuktu so I can't speak to that, and as for RDC - I use it every day to connect to my work PC from my PowerBook and the performance is the same as you'd find with MSTSC on Windows.

As for running X11 apps from your Linux box, you should just need to install an X11 client on the PB. I haven't done this myself however, so I can't speak to that. Good luck!

Win2Mac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2005, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by jpg71:
ARD or VNC would do what you'd want, and over a LAN, the performance would be fine. I don't have any experience with Timbuktu so I can't speak to that, and as for RDC - I use it every day to connect to my work PC from my PowerBook and the performance is the same as you'd find with MSTSC on Windows.

As for running X11 apps from your Linux box, you should just need to install an X11 client on the PB. I haven't done this myself however, so I can't speak to that. Good luck!
This is is very good info. I also need to telecommute from home and work on my PC at the office, so with this I don't need to keep my PC at home, I can fully convert to Mac.

Win2Mac

Forum Links
Forum Rules