Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone running a simple web site have problems with spam?

Anyone running a simple web site have problems with spam?
starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2005, 12:37 PM

Ok, so I get this auto-reply email that apparently came from me (which obviously didn't). Turns out someone's been using my site to send out spam. Now, how the f--k does that happen? All I have is Movable Type and phpBB (with no direct link) off of GoDaddy. What can I do to prevent this, or find out how it happened in the first place?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 12:52 PM

Did they simply spoof a return address, or have they actually compromised your email? Also, check the contact info in your domain registration, ie. what email is listed, that was always a target for spammers.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2005, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Turns out someone's been using my site to send out spam. Now, how the f--k does that happen?
What do you mean by that ?
A site can not send spam or email, except if you have a special website that allowes that.

Most likely, someone has just been using your email address in their "reply-to" field.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules