Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Favorite vocal musician

Favorite vocal musician
SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 09:18 PM

Like rhazel or Mike Patton or Bobby Mcferrin, or what have you. Whats yours?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2005, 09:24 PM

sinatra

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2005, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by SamuraiDL:
Like rhazel or Mike Patton or Bobby Mcferrin, or what have you. Whats yours?
After reading the title I was gonna say Patton. We must be on the same wavelength.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2005, 09:33 PM

tough one, and impossible to answer.

judy garland, sinatra, BOWIE, ZARAH LEANDER, Piaf, Prince (kick-ass harmony parts), McFerrin, Blixa Bargeld (on the later albums bei Einst�rzende Neubauten), Astrud Gilberto, Pavlov's Dog, Belafonte...hmm

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 09:47 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of voice as an abstract instrument. Yeah i have to go with Patton.

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2005, 09:48 PM

The one, the only...Jeff Buckley.
None compare.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 09:54 PM

Ella Fitzgerald (I think her scatting qualifies as an abstract instrument)

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2005, 10:05 PM

Bing Crosby. No contest.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 10:10 PM

Vocal musicians (not particularly abstract but hey I listen to proper music not jazz), either for the tone or the interest factor, in no particular order:

Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Mindy Smith, Rosie Vela, Delta Goodrem, Maxine Jones (En Vogue), Skin (Skunk Anansie), Shakira, Lene Nystr�m, Bob Catley (Magnum UK), Gwen Stefani, and this man:

If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

itistoday
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 10:22 PM

Few people, except maybe Anime fans, will know this one: Akino Arai

Also, Suzanne Vega is a goodie.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 10:30 PM

Leif Garrett.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 10:38 PM

who's that woman that sings on the dark side of the moon, on the great gig in the sky? prof. google says: Clare Torry.

I like her. my first exposure to abstract vocal performance. when I was young, I thought something really bad was happening to her.

now I think it is maybe something good.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2005, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by SamuraiDL:
I was thinking more along the lines of voice as an abstract instrument. Yeah i have to go with Patton.
Did you ever hear his EP with the Dillinger Escape Plan. Besides the fact that they are possibly my favorite group, this is one of the best cd's I've ever purchased. The title is "Irony is a dead scene." Dig it.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 10:40 PM

Larvell Jones

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2005, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
THE TROGDOR COMES IN THE NIIIIGHT!!

I'd have to go with Maynard, Mike Patton, Lauritz Melchior, Geoff Tate, or Loreena Mckennitt. Depends on my mood.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:

Larvell Jones
oh yeah!

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 01:49 AM

Captain Beefheart. Or possibly Wreckless Eric.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 24, 2005, 04:45 AM

Lene Nystr�m
Isn't that Aqua-Lene???

Yup, Prof. Google confirms it. What on earth is she doing in that list? Her voice isn't particularly... well, it just isn't particular. She doesn't use it in any kind of particular way either... Bland. And she's married to Eddie Scholler for Chrissake!!!

Anyway, vocal artists...

Most impressive voice ever: Yma Sumac. Unbelievable!

Also Bj�rk, Gunnhild Sundli, Henriette Sennenvaldt [for usage, not voice per se]... oh yeah, and that blue singing thingy from the Fifth Element has a pretty cool voice too

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 05:06 AM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
Isn't that Aqua-Lene???

Yup, Prof. Google confirms it. What on earth is she doing in that list? Her voice isn't particularly... well, it just isn't particular. She doesn't use it in any kind of particular way either... Bland. And she's married to Eddie Scholler for Chrissake!!!
She's got a real weird way of inflecting stuff combined with a girlie tone which appeals to me (like I said, a combination of tone and interest factor). Maybe it's the Scandinavian accent which I'm not used to hearing but you're familiar with? The only other Scandinavian singer I can think of is Marie Fredriksson and let's face it she's got an American accent when she sings.

I've no idea who that Eddie Scholler bloke is.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 24, 2005, 06:02 AM

She's got a real weird way of inflecting stuff combined with a girlie tone which appeals to me (like I said, a combination of tone and interest factor). Maybe it's the Scandinavian accent which I'm not used to hearing but you're familiar with? The only other Scandinavian singer I can think of is Marie Fredriksson and let's face it she's got an American accent when she sings.
Hmm... I wouldn't say Lene has a Scandinavian accent when she sings either (and there's really no such thing; the Danish, Norwegian and Swedish accents are very different). Then again, I must admit I haven't really listened to any of her stuff - the vomit she produced with Aqua was by far enough to discourage me from doing that.

And, come to think of it (and listening a bit closer), I can hear a Swedish accent quite clearly in Marie Fredriksson's singing. Not as clearly as in Per Gessle's (the male part of Roxette), but it's there nonetheless.

I've no idea who that Eddie Scholler bloke is.
He's Lene Nystr�m's husband, about 25 years her senior. He's also a fairly bad 'folk singer' and very bad comedian - quite popular with the grannies of suburbia.

And no, I'm talking complete bullsh*t here, Eddie Scholler is not Lene Nystr�m's husband at all, he's Sissel Kyrkjeb�'s husband! Lene is (or was, dunno if they still are) married to Rene from Aqua (I think). Duh for mixing people up

(ARGH, stupid mysql_connect()!!!)

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 06:21 AM

Hmm... I wouldn't say Lene has a Scandinavian accent when she sings either (and there's really no such thing; the Danish, Norwegian and Swedish accents are very different).
Heh. That's 'coz you live there! I couldn't tell the difference between the three if my life depended on it.

And, come to think of it (and listening a bit closer), I can hear a Swedish accent quite clearly in Marie Fredriksson's singing. Not as clearly as in Per Gessle's (the male part of Roxette), but it's there nonetheless.
Weird how we all hear things differently, eh?

JohnSmithXTREME
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2005, 06:36 AM

I suppose that in order to uphold the status quo, I need to respond with an obscure, continental European singer that very few people, if any, have ever heard of. So my vote for favourite singer goes to buFoosalik de Saint-Croissant
( Last edited by JohnSmithXTREME; Feb 24, 2005 at 06:44 AM. )

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 24, 2005, 07:38 AM

Heh. That's 'coz you live there! I couldn't tell the difference between the three if my life depended on it.
Oh yes you could, no doubt! Probably not so clearly in sung, and perhaps not even all that well between Swedish and Norwegian when spoken, but if a Dane with a heavy accent speaks English, and a Swede/Norwegian with a heavy accent speaks English right after the Dane, you would have to be nearly deaf not to hear the difference. They are about as different as German and Spanish accents - ie. completely.

In fact... here is a great site that lets you listen to people from all over the world reading the same piece of text. Try comparing them. Take the Danish speaker from Haslev, the Norwegian speaker from Drammen, and the Swedish speaker from Lule�, they are the best representatives of the three accents, though the guy from Lule� is the only one who's actually a really good representative. All the others don't have what you might call the 'real' Danish/Norwegian/Swedish accent.

Forum Links
Forum Rules