Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Missing Serial Number

Missing Serial Number
voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2005, 06:47 PM

Hi there,
I recently had to have the logic board replaced on my 15" 1GHz AL PowerBook after the lower memory slot failed - an ongoing problem with quite a few 15" PowerBooks by all accounts.
However, I cannot now see the serial number nor the sales order number of my PB in 'About This Mac', they seem to have disappeared from view!
I know quite a lot of people have had this same problem; but where can one access the 'lost' serial number? Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
voicebox

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2005, 07:02 PM

Is it under the keyboard like the Ibook's?

voicebox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2005, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by seanc
Is it under the keyboard like the Ibook's?
Hi seanc,
The iBook's keyboard can be taken out with ease, having replaced a couple for a pal of mine, but the PB's keyboard is a little more tricky to take out - more like major surgery and I am not prepared to risk it!
I could take it along to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store in Regent Street I suppose .. mm ..
Although I think the serial number should/must be on the system somewhere ....!
Thanks for the input though,
best
voicebox

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2005, 07:40 PM

I think it is in the battery bay. Although I'm running on battery right now so I can't look.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

voicebox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2005, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by mgehman
I think it is in the battery bay. Although I'm running on battery right now so I can't look.
Thanks mgehman, I'll check it out.
best
voicebox
Later ....
Just checked .... and there it was, all the time ....doh ... what a dumbo .... wish I had your quick mind tonight!!
Thanks again mgehman
best
voicebox
( Last edited by voicebox; Sep 3, 2005 at 08:16 PM. )

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2005, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by voicebox
Hi there,
I recently had to have the logic board replaced on my 15" 1GHz AL PowerBook after the lower memory slot failed - an ongoing problem with quite a few 15" PowerBooks by all accounts.
However, I cannot now see the serial number nor the sales order number of my PB in 'About This Mac', they seem to have disappeared from view!
This happens after the logic board replacement. I've seen serial number "disappearing" each time after 2 logic board replacements on an iBook.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 4, 2005, 01:16 PM

It seems to depend on where the unit is repaired. When my AlBook was sent to Texas for logic board replacement, they did serialize the new logic board.

tooki

voicebox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2005, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
It seems to depend on where the unit is repaired. When my AlBook was sent to Texas for logic board replacement, they did serialize the new logic board.

tooki
Hi tooki,
I think you are right - I had my unit repaired by Cancom UK (Apple Resellers and fixers) at one of their stores right here in Kensington High Street, London - I guess their attention to detail is not quite on a par with your Texan chums ....!!
On the other hand, they did give me a three month warranty .... (oh joy!) Although £600 and two and a half months later I await a Logic Board failure after three months and one week with baited breath!!
best
voicebox
PS: Hey tooki,
In your official capacity as 'Encyclopedic Admin' and 'Moderator'; do you think that Apple should sort out this lower memory slot failure problem on 15" PB's - it is pretty universal after all - or should the consumer have to keep paying (if out of warranty) for replacement logic boards when the problem looks to be a design fault and therefore the ultimate responsibility of Apple .....?
A gentle question - no pressure ........ voicebox!

Forum Links
Forum Rules