Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB G4 12": Is this a silver paint wearing off?

PB G4 12": Is this a silver paint wearing off?
wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2006, 12:57 AM

Anybody knows if an angled piece on the top case of PB G4 12", just below the lowest row of keys made of plastic or aluminum?

It looks that the finish on it (silver paint??) is wearing off next to the keys that I use most in the lowest row on the keyboard - left Apple, Space, and Page Down.

Those places where finish is gone reveal a whitish looking base underneath. So this must be just a narrow plastic part that fills up a gap between the keyboard and the top case, right?

It is very noticeable and - very likely - not covered by AppleCare, same as the rest of the case (since it does not affect the functionality of the PB).

Anybody else got a similar problem and how did Apple deal with it? Thanks.
( Last edited by wunderkind; Jul 4, 2006 at 11:56 PM. )
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

phuture
Jul 4, 2006, 06:53 AM

Yeah, it's the paint flaking off bro. Do a search on ebay for the titanium powerbooks and you'll see that same nasty paint flaking on like half the TiBooks listed. Don't know about the AlBooks but on the Ti's it's widespread. Yeah, it sucks cuz it makes the laptop look so cheap. It doesn't hurt to call Apple on it. Good luck!
reprazentin tha apple since 1987

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2006, 08:05 AM

He doesn't HAVE a tiBook. They are completely different designs.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2006, 09:58 AM

Is the finish on the keyboard wearing off? Because the top case is all aluminum and doesn't have paint. I don't know about the keyboard but it feels like plastic. If you're talking about the top case wearing off, it's probably pitting. Is this what's happening to your powerbook?
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

wunderkind  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2006, 02:21 PM

No it is not pitting. I know very well what pitting is - had it on my old rev. B PB 12".

And keys look like new. But I am talking about a narrow piece that is angled and is right between the lower row of keys and aluminum top case. As far as I can tell, it is not part of top case (and, hence, may not be made of aluminum). People who disassembled PBs 12" can probably confirm this.

Although it does look silvery, I suspect it is just a strip of painted plastic that is used to fill a gap between a keyboard and a top case. Those places where it has worn off, look just like white plastic underneath the paint.

OK, I'll post pictures later in the week.

phuture
Jul 4, 2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
He doesn't HAVE a tiBook. They are completely different designs.
I know that! I'm talking about the plastic by the keyboard. The TiBooks had that ring around the machine, and it flaked off exposing the white plastic underneath. His AlBook has that plastic strip by the keyboard and the same thing is happening.

What I'm saying is that he should look at the pictures of TiBooks on ebay and compare it to what's happening to his keyboard on his AlBook.

Wunderkind, pics would be nice.
reprazentin tha apple since 1987

wunderkind  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2006, 11:47 PM

Here are pictures that show what the problem is. As you can see, it is not pitting and it does not look like paint flaking.

Large images:

Image #1 and Image #2.

The same, but smaller images:

Small image #1 and Small image #2.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2006, 11:50 PM

Yeah, that does kinda look like paint wearing off.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by phuture
I know that! I'm talking about the plastic by the keyboard. The TiBooks had that ring around the machine, and it flaked off exposing the white plastic underneath.
Actually, that white was the grounder. The actual material underneath was black - carbon fiber.

There is absolutely nothing in common in the materials between the tiBook exterior and the AlBook exterior.

Those images look like the edge there is plastic, though, and it's wearing slightly.

wunderkind  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2006, 11:07 PM

170 views - Am I the only one with such problem?

Any ideas if Apple will replace this strip of plastic under AppleCare?

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2006, 06:45 AM

You're not the only one - I have the same thing on my 1.5GHz PB. It's had a hard life

wunderkind  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2006, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by all2ofme
You're not the only one - I have the same thing on my 1.5GHz PB. It's had a hard life
Did you check with Apple if repairs are covered by AppleCare?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 6, 2006, 08:05 AM

As I understand it, the body of the aluminum PowerBooks is all aluminum (ie a non-painted surface), with a few exceptions. Some are obvious, like the gray "gasket" that goes around the outside of the screen and the wrist rest area, and others are not, like the area between the wrist rest and the keyboard, which is apparently made of painted plastic. So yes, I imagine that it is just wearing off. Do you put your fingers in those spots?

wunderkind  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2006, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
Do you put your fingers in those spots?
I do not "keep" my fingers there, but obviously when hitting the keys fingers may/will come into contact with this piece of painted plastic.

As I said (and as the pictures show), the most wear is below left Apple key and below the Page Down key, with some wear appearing also below the left side of Space key.

I've had my previous PB (rev. B) for about as long as this one (14 months), but I did not see such wear to the paint then.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2006, 07:42 AM

No, I don't have AppleCare. Doesn't bother me all that much any more.

Originally Posted by wunderkind
Did you check with Apple if repairs are covered by AppleCare?

Forum Links
Forum Rules