Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone with a Power Mac willing to do me a favour for $5??

Anyone with a Power Mac willing to do me a favour for $5??
g5cubed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2006, 03:50 PM

The UPC label on my box has faded/marked because I put it outside and rained a few times, and Best Buy is being a d*ck because they can't scan the UPC and the promotional packaging is damaged to a state that it cannot be resold, hence it cannot be returned. Could anyone scan their Apple Label which has the UPC. If you feel safer, you could black out your serial number even. I prefer someone with a Power Mac Quad 2.5Ghz. If you can scan one with decent picture quality, and email it, I would be glad to paypal $5 to the person. Easy money for 3 minutes of work. My email is [email protected], contact me if your interested in helping. I have about 3 days left in my return policy, and would need it in between.

Thanks

[email address removed --tooki]
( Last edited by tooki; Jul 14, 2006 at 04:26 PM. )

Rumor
Jul 14, 2006, 04:07 PM

If you can read the UPC numbers, they can manually enter it. If they say they can't, tell them they are full of ****. I used to work at Best Buy and had to do it all the time.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

SkirtmanMcSkirt
Banned
Jul 14, 2006, 04:08 PM

So you're trying to return a product and you left the packaging out in the rain? Wow. Ballsy.

g5cubed  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2006, 04:16 PM

I didnt know I was going to return it obviously. I live in tight apartment, and having a huge ass box is not always an option for me.

I'm pretty sure they're feeding me with ****, and the UPC is not readable (at all, lol).

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 14, 2006, 04:19 PM

Honestly, I don't think I can condone what you want to do. I'm pretty sure their returns policy makes clear that the packaging must be complete and in resaleable condition. Much as I love to stick it to Best Buy, in this case, I can't blame them. Not only is their policy clear, but in this case, I completely understand and agree with the policy.

I'm certain that they could look up the UPC number if they wanted to -- it's in their computer. They want an undamaged box, and you can't provide that. Sell it on eBay or Craigslist.

tooki

P.S. Cross-posting in multiple forums is strictly prohibited here, as is asking for replies by email.
( Last edited by tooki; Jul 14, 2006 at 04:26 PM. )

Rumor
Jul 14, 2006, 04:20 PM

Do you have your receipt? If so, the information they need is in thier system. Just pull someone from computers (preferably a sup) and have them verify the system.

g5cubed  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2006, 05:11 PM

tooki-
I understand that this might not be the most honest thing, but I can't afford to stick with a broken G5. I had no problem doing a straight exchange, because I love the G5, but none of the best buy stores have the Quad 2.5 (I live in Canada, and even the warehouse doesnt have it). I even asked them to switch to a Dual 2.7, but they insist that they cant do it, because the serials will differ. They told me to get it repaired from Apple under the warranty, but when Apple took it in for a diagnosis, they estimated it was a faulty mobo and it would take 2-3 weeks, time which I really don't have, and which best buy should be accountable for. BTW, yes I have the receipt for sure, kept it under my table mat, so I wouldnt lose it.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2006, 06:25 PM

You should have posted this in the Powermac forum.

Try also making an offer of buying a whole box.

If everything fails, have Apple repair it. I am sure you can hang on for a little while and work on a Winblows machine in the meantime.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2006, 06:52 PM

I worked at BB, they sell things without boxes all the time. They never keep the boxes of demo units. I have no idea why they're unwilling to take it back.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2006, 09:42 PM

Because it would hurt their sales numbers considerably for the day.

Take it in around 2/3rd of the way through the day and insist they take it. That being said, I think they only have a 14 day return policy... so you may be SOL.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2006, 10:53 PM

Best advice I can give you about BB. Tell them, you want your money back, and start screaming. Make as big of a scene if you bought it and it's broken freak out and start ranting about how they sell broken products. They don't want their numbers to go down. Our store once paid a guy's wages because they screwed up his car so he couldn't go to work.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 14, 2006, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
You should have posted this in the Powermac forum.
He cross-posted here and there, and since this one had more replies, I closed the other.

G5cubed: if you'd said to begin with that you wanted to return/exchange a faulty machine, I would not have given the response I did above. I can understand BB not wanting to take a big loss on working hardware by not having the packaging. But they should take back faulty goods without question.

tooki

g5cubed  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2006, 02:22 AM

Offer Closed.

I took it into another store, and they accepted the return and apologized for the inconvenience and even gave me a $50 gift card. I'm in the process of writing a lengthy complaint about the manager for the first store I received. I'm now $4600 wealthier.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 15, 2006, 02:56 AM

Oh good. Smarmy managers shouldn't be allowed to get away with it!

tooki

Rumor
Jul 15, 2006, 05:39 AM

What does smarmy mean?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2006, 06:38 AM

smarmy |ˈsmärmē| adjective ( smarmier , smarmiest ) informal ingratiating and wheedling in a way that is perceived as insincere or excessive : a smarmy, unctuous reply. DERIVATIVES smarmily |-məlē| adverb smarminess noun

Thesaurus
smarmy adjective informal his smarmy confessions make me sick unctuous, ingratiating, slick, oily, greasy, obsequious, sycophantic, fawning; informal slimy, sucky.
Hmmm.

Isn't that the opposite of what tooki meant to say?

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2006, 07:30 AM

i think of smarmy as "used car salesman-y"

"I start fires!"

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by g5cubed
Offer Closed.

I took it into another store, and they accepted the return and apologized for the inconvenience and even gave me a $50 gift card. I'm in the process of writing a lengthy complaint about the manager for the first store I received. I'm now $4600 wealthier.
US$ or CAN$?

Let this be a lesson to you. Don't buy a G5 in such a close proximity of a Mac Pro release.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2006, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
Hmmm.

Isn't that the opposite of what tooki meant to say?
Based on tooki's advice he gave earlier, I'd say his comment was a little on the sarcastic side.

christ
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2006, 12:01 PM

I think that he is referring to the smarmy teenagers working in Best Buy.

But what do I know.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2006, 12:04 PM

NM lol
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Forum Links
Forum Rules