Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Parallels and Windows Update: MacBook turns OFF!

Parallels and Windows Update: MacBook turns OFF!
adster
Jul 19, 2006, 12:30 PM

Hey guys. I posted a thread in the Parallels forum but thought getting another opinion might not be bad.

I have a little bit of a problem here. I have just installed Parallels and Windows XP on my new (but 1 month old) MacBook with 2GB of ram. The install went fine but when I try to goto Windows Update, the computer just turns off with no warnings or error messages.

I transfered a 3 gig file into windows and it worked fine, but Windows Update, still turns it off.

I haven't encountered this problem anywhere in Mac OS X or in Windows XP with the exception of Windows Update. And it's not a one time thing, every time I try windows update, the Macbook turns off. Sometimes not immediately, but it will always eventually turn off.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any possible solutions? Are there any logging programs I can run that can see the exact error before it turns off? Heat isn't an issue because the processor stays between 66 and 71 degrees during the whole process.

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2006, 04:25 PM

It's my understanding that the MacBook will shut off if the processor gets too hot. The Max temperature it can get without doing damage is (supposedly) 100� C... Mine seems to max out at around 92�...

My guess would be that your's is maxing out too high when you run Parallels. You should use a program such as "TemperatureMonitor.app" and use it to see just how hot your CPU is getting. If you're reaching the high 90's, you probably need to get your MacBook checked out...

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2006, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bobby
It's my understanding that the MacBook will shut off if the processor gets too hot. The Max temperature it can get without doing damage is (supposedly) 100? C... Mine seems to max out at around 92?...

My guess would be that your's is maxing out too high when you run Parallels. You should use a program such as "TemperatureMonitor.app" and use it to see just how hot your CPU is getting. If you're reaching the high 90's, you probably need to get your MacBook checked out...
He said heat isn't an issue.

Why don't you try the website http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com instead of clicking the link on the Start Menu. It might help.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 31, 2006, 08:55 AM

But remember that you MUST use Internet Explorer to use the Windows Update site-Microsoft won't connect to anything else from that site.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kennedy
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 10:22 AM

I had/have this problem, too. At first I thought it only happened when running Parallels... but that's because I'm usually running Parallels... I have since had it happen many times without Parallels running.

Google "MacBook Random Shutdowns"... its a common problem... Apple admits it exists and is being tracked... but they are not yet releasing to the public what they think the problem is.
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

Forum Links
Forum Rules