Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > FW800 vs eSATA

FW800 vs eSATA
mrmister
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2006, 09:19 PM

I have a large group of FW hard drives daisy chained to my MacBook Pro, and in their place I am thinking of upgrading to a FW800 RAID, like this one:

1TB OWC Mercury Elite-AL PRO FW800/400+US... (ME8SRS10TB32) at OWC

What I'm wondering is will I regret not getting something with eSATA onboard? Looking at tests it looks like FW800 is plenty fast for my needs...I get along with FW400--even switching everything to FW800 should be much quicker, but I could honestly stick with FW400 if I needed to.

Also, does anyone have opinions/horror stories about the reliability of RAID 0 configurations? I know if one of the two drives dies I lose them both--can I DiskWarrior them separately or together? Will any "normal" diagnostic tools work if I get into trouble?

I'm posting here as I'm most interested in people who use PB and MBPs with the choice between onboard FW800 and eSATA.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2006, 11:51 PM

i want that drive so bad-saving for it as we speak
i been doing alot of HD content on my macbook pro and the fw800 comes in handy even though i heard esata is faster.
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 12:18 AM

I use the 640 MB version of that OWC drive on FW 800 and it works great. Just treat a RAID 0 drive as a single drive that has 2x the chance of failure - meaning back it up routinely.

Today I ordered a 12 ounce portable 100 GB 7200 RPM OWC drive for field use with my 17" C2D MBP running Aperture.

-Allen Wicks

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by mrmister View Post
... I know if one of the two drives dies I lose them both...
it thought thats what Raid drives were doing was protecting your info so if you lost one it was saved to a mirror? im a bit confused now.

mrmister  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 03:56 PM

It depends on the kind of RAID--you are thinking of mirroring, rather than striping.

RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2006, 06:30 PM

I just got two 500GB Samsung SATA HD and thinking of this FireWire Depot - FireWire USB SATA - FWBU2SATA35DMR FireWire 800 1394b) & USB 2.0 Combo to dual SATA External Enclosure enclosure for a RAID 1.

Total will come out to $480 for a higher quality product (hardware RAID 1).

eSATA is missing, but by the time the Macs get it standard, the eSATA enclosures will be super cheap, I will be able to resell the FW800 RAID easy.

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2006, 09:25 PM

What are you storing on these drives? Large files or lots of small files? Do you need the speed or do you want the speed?

As you might know eSATA has to be access via a card on the Mac Book Pro. and depending what vintage MBP you have you might have FW800 on your computer.

I have four FW800 drives conected to my G5 Quad, very fast. I use drives that are the same size and duplicate my data. ie. what is on drive one is also on drive two and the same for 3 to 4.

I have been getting my drives from OWC - good so far. OWC: Apple Mac G4 upgrades, Laptop Batteries, Memory, Drives
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

mrmister  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 04:00 PM

Just media--lots of backup files, video, audio, tons of stuff. And I definitely don't NEED the speed; I'm just thinking about future-proofing, and my current setup is a series of daisy-chained PATA FW400 drives, so I have to figure out when I should start getting SATA enclosures.

I'm planning on something with both FW800 and FW400, but the question was whether people thought it should have eSATA as well, for future-proofing, but I wasn't planning on using eSATA right now.

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2006, 12:15 PM

Should have mentionned, I will use the RAID 1 SATA enclosure as boot drive for an iMac 24''...

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2006, 11:15 PM

RAID 1 will be slow as a boot drive...especially over FW800.
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2006, 12:28 AM

If you've got a MBP and want the fastest-possible HD access, you can get eSATA ExpressCards, I think. Kind of a best-of-all-worlds scenario.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2006, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Elf View Post
RAID 1 will be slow as a boot drive...especially over FW800.
It shouldn't be any slower than one drive by itself, and theoretically would be quicker for disk reads.

If I remember my undergrad CS classes right, mirrored arrays can utilize both disks for reads (netting a speed boost), but since they have to write data to both disk (with a little bit of RAID-releated-overhead, etc), there's a small speed penalty for disk writes.

Since booting a machine is primarily a disk-read-intensive operation, one would think booting from a mirrored array wouldn't be all that bad.

EDIT: Just figured out you meant using it as a general-purpose boot drive, not just the act of booting itself. Whoops.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

skyman
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 12:39 AM

I have got a little brain teaser for all of your hard drive and computer geeks.

The CEO of a major corporation installs a file server in a secure bunker, environmentally controlled with RAID 5. The technical specs are just for fun.

Lets just say this file server is indestructible and will never fail (ie power, hard drives etc). So, the CEO knows his data is safe forever.

One day the IT department gets a frantic call from the CEO yelling that all his files are gone.

Question:

If this file server is indestructible, then how did this happen??
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

skyman
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 12:47 AM

I like OWC but I have found that buy.com and newegg have the best prices on hard drives. I have personally bought all my hard drive from newegg and have never had any problems.

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2006, 11:17 AM

skyman, if the drive is indestructable, then it can't exist in our universe. any data put on it would be unreadable, as you can't interact with something like what you described.

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2006, 01:53 PM

Bootable RAID 1 over FW800 should be fast enough, not that different from the internal disk. HD themselves are the limit these days, not the interface. Different story with FW400.

skyman
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by zaghahzag View Post
skyman, if the drive is indestructable, then it can't exist in our universe. any data put on it would be unreadable, as you can't interact with something like what you described.

Ok, lets just say that the drives did not fail. So, again my question is if the drives did not fail then where did the data go?

edge.it
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2006, 03:35 PM

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2006, 05:27 PM

He deleted the data...
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2006, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. But the iMac has no eSATA possibility, so FW800 it is (I know, this is the PB forum).

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2006, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by skyman View Post
I have got a little brain teaser for all of your hard drive and computer geeks.

The CEO of a major corporation installs a file server in a secure bunker, environmentally controlled with RAID 5. The technical specs are just for fun.

Lets just say this file server is indestructible and will never fail (ie power, hard drives etc). So, the CEO knows his data is safe forever.

One day the IT department gets a frantic call from the CEO yelling that all his files are gone.

Question:

If this file server is indestructible, then how did this happen??
RAID is not a backup, so you're always an rm typo away from data loss.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 12:14 AM

Indeed; anyone who treats RAID 1 or RAID 5 as a backup strategy is a fool. Any IT managers who do so should be fired.

skyman
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2006, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Elf View Post
He deleted the data...
Give that man a cigar!!

skyman
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2006, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Oneota View Post
Indeed; anyone who treats RAID 1 or RAID 5 as a backup strategy is a fool. Any IT managers who do so should be fired.
That was the whole point of the quiz!

norz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by edge.it View Post
firmTek eSata 2 drive enclosure with host card
Except apparently you can't chain eSata drives with that card.
Check this thread for related info.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by skyman View Post
That was the whole point of the quiz!
Well, sorry...it wasn't much of a quiz.

Forum Links
Forum Rules