Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Urgent: Need Internal HD for PB 1.5GHz

Urgent: Need Internal HD for PB 1.5GHz
mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2006, 12:20 PM

Hey Gang,

My under warranty G4 PB had a hard drive meltdown yesterday.
I found an apple certified shop that will swap a HD i buy and allow me to save the old HD (apple makes you pay big time to keep the crapped out drive). I think i can recover some stuff and also there is some confidential stuff on it that I won't be able to secure erase.

But I need advice as to what to purchase....

I need the PB for about 8 more months, and I had a 80GB 5400rpm drive in it.
I'd like to replace it with a 5400 rpm drive in either 60,80,or 100 GB size for around $75.

any advice on a drive i should purchase? It can take any 2.5" drive except for SATA, is that correct?

if i go to a place like newegg, does OEM vs. RETAIL drive make a difference vis-a-vis mac compatability.

1,000 thanks in advance,
mic1
( Last edited by mike one; Dec 14, 2006 at 12:41 PM. )

mrmister
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2006, 01:12 PM

As long as it is ATA/100, you will be fine--OEM vs. RETAIL makes no difference.

Xyrrus
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by mike one View Post
Hey Gang,

My under warranty G4 PB had a hard drive meltdown yesterday.
I found an apple certified shop that will swap a HD i buy and allow me to save the old HD (apple makes you pay big time to keep the crapped out drive). I think i can recover some stuff and also there is some confidential stuff on it that I won't be able to secure erase.

But I need advice as to what to purchase....

I need the PB for about 8 more months, and I had a 80GB 5400rpm drive in it.
I'd like to replace it with a 5400 rpm drive in either 60,80,or 100 GB size for around $75.

any advice on a drive i should purchase? It can take any 2.5" drive except for SATA, is that correct?

if i go to a place like newegg, does OEM vs. RETAIL drive make a difference vis-a-vis mac compatability.

1,000 thanks in advance,
mic1
Retail vs OEM is all about warranty and bundle. The product itself is almost always the same (although some retail drives used to be formatted. Edit: You should check whether you need an ATA100 or an ATA-6 drive. I know my 1Ghz Ti used an ATA-6 drive. What model is the powerbook?

-Xy
MacPro (2.66, 4GB, 4x250GB, X1900+7300, 2x Dell 2005fpw, Samsung LNT4061)
MacBook Pro (2.2, 2GB, 120GB)

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Xyrrus View Post
Retail vs OEM is all about warranty and bundle. The product itself is almost always the same (although some retail drives used to be formatted. Edit: You should check whether you need an ATA100 or an ATA-6 drive. I know my 1Ghz Ti used an ATA-6 drive. What model is the powerbook?

-Xy
I'm eager to know how exactly do you check whether its ATA100 or ATA-6? I see nothing in the ATA section of the About this Mac.

spice003
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2006, 06:33 PM

the only thing different about oem vs retail is retail comes in a retail box like in the store and oem come in a plastic HD case. i just got one yesterday but its a desktop hd, work perfect. i been buying oem's for quiet some time now.

Xyrrus
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2006, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by macboy View Post
I'm eager to know how exactly do you check whether its ATA100 or ATA-6? I see nothing in the ATA section of the About this Mac.
I was mistaken; they actually appear to be the same darn thing (ATA-6 is the 6th version of the ATA standard)

http://www.buildorbuy.org/atapi.html

-Xy
MacPro (2.66, 4GB, 4x250GB, X1900+7300, 2x Dell 2005fpw, Samsung LNT4061)
MacBook Pro (2.2, 2GB, 120GB)

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by mike one View Post
also there is some confidential stuff on it that I won't be able to secure erase.

mic1
After you get everything you want off drive, get a big vacuum and put next to drive or set it next to a vacuum cleaner.

Forum Links
Forum Rules