Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Lid-closed functionality in PB G4 1.5GHz?

Lid-closed functionality in PB G4 1.5GHz?
Etnier
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2007, 05:48 PM

I have a nice little 15" 1.5GHz PB ("PowerBook5,6"), and am trying to show my wife some iTunes store TV shows on the family TV set. I am connecting video via the S-Video output > RCA connector provided with the computer: the computer resizes to 640 X 480 automatically upon insertion of the plug and sends acceptable video to my TV.

Problem is: I can't close the lid of the PowerBook when this is set up: the computer sleeps rather than showing the video. AFAIK it's supposed to be possible to run the computer to external video and keep the lid closed. Is there a pref somewhere I need to set, or a key sequence I don't know about?

Many thanks in advance

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2007, 11:58 PM

You need to have a keyboard, mouse, power, as well as video hooked up to do this. Hook up all these things, close the lid, and then wake the computer back up using the keyboard or mouse.

Etnier  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2007, 04:18 AM

OK: thanks! Much appreciated.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2007, 11:01 AM

Why do you want to run the lid closed? You can choose two independant resolutions/depths once the TV set is recognized as second monitor. just click the little display icon in the menu bar (maybe you have to activate it first).

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Etnier  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2007, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the tip. We're trying to avoid the distracting glare in the room where we are watching TV. I just push the lid down as far as I safely can and call it good.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2007, 01:47 PM

Link: InsomniaX

Use at your own risk. There are heat issues concerned when running with the lid closed. Your computer essentially breathes through the keyboard and speaker grills. So, don't do anything heavy, processor-wise, while running this way.

Good luck,
onlyone-jc.

Etnier  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2007, 02:53 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the lead and the tips.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2007, 04:06 PM

"Use at your own risk. There are heat issues concerned when running with the lid closed. Your computer essentially breathes through the keyboard and speaker grills. So, don't do anything heavy, processor-wise, while running this way."

This is what amounts to an old wives tale--Apple supports working in clamshell mode, and if Apple supports it the machine should be able to handle whatever you would normally throw at it. I've been using PowerBooks and MacBookPros in clamshell mode for years, doing all sorts of intensive work, and never had a problem in the least. So don't live in fear of your own gear.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2007, 10:35 PM

It has been known to cause damage to the display panel over time, by the large amount of heat it now essentially transfers directly to it. This may not be the case with every revision, but it has definitely been an issue raised by some.

Apple don't provide the direct option to run in clamshell mode for a reason. They don't want it to fall in to the wrong hands, because a whole lot of warranty-returns would be coming their way very soon. All it would take is some idiot who thinks they can render out some raw video with the whole thing concealed in their backpack. It would overheat it no time at all.

All I'm saying is, be careful, and use it wisely.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 03:03 AM

"Apple don't provide the direct option to run in clamshell mode for a reason."

I'm running in clamshell mode right now, supported clearly by Apple--they document it, and it just works. If for some reason the screen were to be damaged by heat I would expect AppleCare to replace it, though I doubt that's going to happen--it never has before.

"They don't want it to fall in to the wrong hands, because a whole lot of warranty-returns would be coming their way very soon."

What is this, conspiracy quest? It's in the MacBookPro manual, and all the PowerBook manuals before that--sleep the laptop, attach the monitor and a mouse/keyboard, click and bang, you're in clamshell mode. How is this some kind of secret no one knows about?

"All I'm saying is, be careful, and use it wisely."

All I'm saying is don't be paranoid of your gear--clamshell works, it works great and no one should be worrying about any of this. They should instead simply be using their machine, which works great in clamshell mode. I've been using it on different MBPs and PBs for almost five years.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2007, 05:42 AM

Sorry, I was coming from a perspective of somebody with no external keyboard, mouse and display, which is why I made the following statement:
Originally Posted by onlyone-jc View Post
All it would take is some idiot who thinks they can render out some raw video with the whole thing concealed in their backpack. It would overheat it no time at all.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 11:11 PM

I'm really not sure that that kind of thing is a problem in the real world.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2007, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
i agree.
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2007, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
If you were referring to what I said, then read this comment left on the InsomniaX website:
One day i bought myself a firewire cable to connect my powerbook to my imac. I booted the powerbook in target disk mode, found that it actually works with imac, and forgot the whole stuff. After a few minutes, not thinking fully what I’m doing i put the powerbook into my backpack where it usually goes and charges all night. With the FW and power cables connected and powerbook in target disk mode.

Music was playing, it was sunday noon etc…

About 12 hours later, when i went to bed and had turned off all machinery in the room, i still heard strange humming somewhere… hmmm… it was coming from my backpack!

Now, the computer had been inside a closed backpack for about 12 hours, working at full speed, the fans were at full speed, computer almost had melted some of the syntetic materials of the bag, it was so hot that i could not touch it.

I opened the lid - it was still working. The fans were at full speed at least 10..15 minutes trying to cool the 80+ degrees (C)machine

Baseline: don’t forget that your computer can be still working if the lid is closed. Also, it’s a damn good machine - I’m writing this post using the same powerbook. It survived without problems (don’t buy my PB if i want to sell it!)
So, as you can see, it does happen in the real world. It may have survived, but it's never a good idea to put components under that much stress.

onlyone-jc.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2007, 03:20 PM

The testimony of some person who forgot what they were doing with their laptop, and it STILL didn't cause any damage, doesn't really bolster your case. Unless you're actually storing your laptop in an oven, I don't think there's going to be a problem.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2007, 03:33 PM

'almost had melted'?
I'm curious, is there a point at which the machine will just shut itself off to prevent themal meltdown?

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2007, 01:30 PM

Simple solution to prevent laptop screen glow from detracting from TV viewing: Just use the F1 key to turn the laptop screen off. Takes all of a few seconds, and generates absolutely no controversy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules