Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook and Vista Problem

Macbook and Vista Problem
g5cubed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 06:36 PM

I installed Vista on my Macbook directly through Boot Camp. The Windows seems fine, however when I insert the drivers CD and install it, I get a error towards the end, thus aborting setup. I was wondering how I would fix this, as I want the wifi and video drivers on Vista.

Thanks in advance

uicandrew
Senior User
Mar 12, 2007, 08:05 PM

you have to install the drivers manually. this is pretty well documented on the web. the easiest way was to go back to boot camp assistant and "save drivers to folder" and then put it on a flash drive, and then there is some sort of command you use in windows that you execute using the "run" dialog.

search google for it. however, you might be finding yourself going back to xp after a little bit. vista caused my macbook to run hot and loudly (fans) even when it was doing nothing (due to the background processes). i can't see myself ever running vista on the macbook, unless apple releases a new set of drivers that will cause vista to run more efficiently on the macbook.

Even then, there aren't any advantages of vista that i would take advantage of. aero is less useful than expose. the one good thing i like about vista is that it has texas hold'em standard (solitaire was getting a bit old)
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2007, 10:12 PM

<>. vista caused my macbook to run hot and loudly (fans) even when it was doing nothing (due to the background processes)

VISTA is sort of a bore - but not quite as boring as XP so ...I am thinking of trying VISTA in a Parallels VM.
I probably should expect the same performance (side effects?) however.
Has anyone set up VISTA in a Parallels VM yet?

uicandrew
Senior User
Mar 12, 2007, 11:09 PM

it is supported (according to parallel's own website)

functionally, what do you plan on using vista (that is not achievable) with xp?

i find vista to also be a handicap since the audio drivers don't work. there doesn't seem to be any good reason to go to vista. because of issues with drivers, it is more like a step BACK for mac users.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

post_break
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2007, 11:55 PM

I ran vista on my macbook with parallels. It installed quite fast but wasnt really usable. Audio was choppy but everything other than that worked ok. I ran it just so I could say "hey look what I can do".

Metasteve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2007, 10:25 AM

Vista is a little bit of fun, plus I may need it at work occasionally... So what I need is drivers for Sound, WIFI and iSight. Anyone know of where I can find these drivers... Especially the Wifi. This is obviously a pain!
I have searched around and don't see an update since I first installed several months ago.

Thanks for any help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules