Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook problem

Macbook problem
g5cubed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2007, 01:43 PM

I tried to restore my system with a Macbook (non Core2duo) restore disk on my Core2Duo system, and it says it can not install it on my system. I accidently deleted my entire hard drive, and now when I start my system, it boots to a question mark in folder. I was wondering how I could restore my cd, or put back tiger atleast, with the current (non C2D) cd's.

Thanks

ibook_steve
Mar 19, 2007, 02:19 PM

Don't you have the C2D disks? The older disks won't work.

Steve

g5cubed  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2007, 04:04 PM

I bought the system off eBay and the guy told me it included non-CD disks, but he said it should still work. It was my responsibility, i guess, to check compatibility. Is there any way I could extract the the setup files?

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2007, 05:44 PM

Sounds like you're gonna have to cut your losses and purchase a Retail Universal Binary OS X install disc.
Another option is to call AppleCare and purchase a replacement OEM set of discs.

Most install disc sets that come with Macs are proprietary to the machines they came with. Not until recently, has Apple started broadly labeling them "For Mac Computers".

Nivag
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2007, 06:21 PM

As far as i know there isn't a retail OS X install disk for Intel based Macs.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 12:48 AM

Nivag -- I did a thorough search of the Apple site and you're right, Mac OS X v10.4.6 is only available retail in non-Universal PPC DVD disc. My suspicion is that Apple is trying to thwart would-be hackers from breaking the code to run on non-Apple hardware.

Although, Mac OS X v10.4 Server is available retail in Universal Binary DVD disc. I recently purchased UB Tiger Server retail, which lead my assumption... my apologies.

So g5cubed, in light of the current retail software situation I'd highly recommend calling AppleCare to purchase a replacement set of OEM install discs.

g5cubed  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2007, 09:17 AM

I was extremely lucky, when someone on my floor bought the c2d macbook yesterday, so I just used hers and im going to attempt to make a back up.

I have another problem now, and I don't want to start another post. My airport doesnt seem to be working- it's very reluctant to connect with networks, and when it does, it disconnects like 2 minutes after. The ethernet port works fine. This problem also occured before restoring, but not when I received the computer. I'm suspecting its a hardware issue, as I downloaded all the software updates.

thanks for your help guys

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 20, 2007, 09:53 AM

Yeah, generally, older disks won't work in newer systems, if for no other reason than the older releases often lack support for the newer hardware.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 10:03 AM

G5cubed,

Actually some of the software updates have made AirPort cranky in the past... But do some quick fixes:

1. With those install discs, put the first disc in the drive and reboot holding down the "D" key. This will run Apple Hardware Test and will let you know if anything is wrong key components of your hardware.

2. In System Preferences >> Network -- do you have AirPort at the top of the list? Try making a new Location and sorting the list, AirPort first, then Ethernet.

3. Are you in range of your Preferred Networks when the problem occurs? These networks get priority.

4. Keep in mind that AirPort networking can be fickle -- Check out Apple Support page for some helpful tips

--Oh, I know you're new here but the moderators get cranky if you ask networking questions not posted in the Networking section. They like to keep a neat and tidy house.

Anyways -- try those quick fixes, I'm sure they'll shed some light on the problem.

-dowNNshift

Forum Links
Forum Rules