Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > WTB or Trade: iBook G3 Power Adapter, memory, etc.

WTB or Trade: iBook G3 Power Adapter, memory, etc.
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2007, 05:21 AM

Hey guys and gals,

I just landed one of these these first gen PowerBook G3, but I have no power adapter for it, so I'm looking to buy a used one for a reasonable price, or trade it for any number of things I have including an iBook battery, an old third-party iBook adapter (it's not pretty but it does the job) or maybe some (legit) classic software (PM me for a list or just ask).

Also, I might be interested in memory for this puppy, since it only has the anemic built-in 32 MB of RAM, and a battery for it that can hold at least some charge. I'm not sure what type of hard drive this has, but I might be interested in a larger one for it as well. I'm looking for old, used parts, as I'm not willing to spend big bucks to bring this machine back to life, but a reasonable price or trade I'm willing to make.

Thanks!

Edit: I accidentally put "iBook" in the thread, when I meant to write "PowerBook", as this is concerning an original "Kanga" PowerBook G3, not an iBook.
( Last edited by Gamoe; Apr 26, 2007 at 07:37 AM. )

techound1
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2007, 05:35 PM

I've got an adapter and a pair of 64mb sodimms that will work.

Is the battery a 12" or 14"?

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by techound1 View Post
I've got an adapter and a pair of 64mb sodimms that will work.

Is the battery a 12" or 14"?
The original "Kanga" PowerBook G3 only has one RAM slot and uses a different EDO RAM DIMM type than that of the later PowerBook G3s (or any Apple computer that I know of). If you got one of these I might be interested.

The iBook battery is for a 12". I'd be happy to trade this for an adapter.

techound1
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2007, 06:26 PM

Oh, yeah, I remember those. Toshiba went with those for the porteges, too I think. Damned annoying trying to find them these days (but I'm not telling you anything new ).

Lemme test the charger to make sure it works. Did the battery hold much charge?

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by techound1 View Post
Oh, yeah, I remember those. Toshiba went with those for the porteges, too I think. Damned annoying trying to find them these days (but I'm not telling you anything new ).

Lemme test the charger to make sure it works. Did the battery hold much charge?
Ah, forget it. After looking closely at the prices and realizing I probably won't be able to get it to where I want it without spending loads more than I'd want, I've decided to sell the thing. Here's my new thread.

As for the battery, which one do you mean-- the iBook one or the PowerBook one? The former holds about 1/2 hour to an hour of juice, the latter I don't know about because I haven't been able to power and charge it. I'm still open to offers or trades to get rid of both.

Forum Links
Forum Rules