Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 2007 MLB season thread

2007 MLB season thread (Page 4)
Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 12:59 AM

I figured tonight was the pivotal game of the series. No way the Rocks were going to beat Beckett in game 1, so that was a throw away. But I figured if the Rocks beat Schilling in game 2 and split the series in Boston they'd end up winning the series because they'd have their mojo back and have Boston in an NL park where the lack of a DH will hurt them more then the availability of a DH helped the Rocks on the AL side of things (Gah, hate the DH, but I understand why it is popluar. Just removes a bunch of strategy from the game and adds more hitting. To me, it dumbs down the game, but whatever. I think it is cool that there is some difference between the AL and NL).
Conversely, I figured if Boston took both at home the Rocks were done. Just my thoughts going into this thing. Still, think it is very cool to see the Rocks in the series. Just be nice if they had brought their flipping bats with them to Fenway. Sheesh! Holliday, Tulow, Helton, Hawpe, Atkins... great hitters except in the playoffs! The team batting average for the rocks has to be below 2 now! Argh!
Even James Taylor singing the Anthem and sucking the testosterone out of the Sox didn't help! Argh! Argh!
mini rant over.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2007, 01:34 PM

Hideki Okajima is without a doubt the most underpaid pitcher in baseball. $2.5 million for two years? Boston should be ashamed of themselves. That amounts to slave labor in MLB.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 01:49 PM

I wouldn't count the Rockies out yet, but they have to sweep all three at home. If they go back to Boston down 3-2, they probably won't make it. Then again, if anyone knows about what it's like to be behind in a series and pull it out, it's Boston, not only from this years' ALCS but from their legendary 2004 ALCS with the Yankees. They won't let up, since they don't want to give the Rockies a chance to come back.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 02:23 PM

Nice to see Francona pick up on Shilling tiring just a bit, and immediately get Okajima in there. I remember past series where the manager should have pulled Pedro Martinez(but nuckled under and didn't) and end up costing the game, and the series.

Does anyone else see the similarity between J.D. Drew and Derek Lowe from a few years past? They both sucked in the regular season, but are lights out in the playoffs. Unlike Lowe, we're probably going to see Drew for a long while with his hefty paycheck.

and 13M is a bargain for one more year of Shilling.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 08:24 PM

please don't compare drew to lowe.

abe
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2007, 12:46 AM

There can't be a hotter team than the Red Sox in this or few other World Series.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2007, 12:59 AM

Disappointed - thought the Rockies would get an emotional win tonight.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2007, 12:59 AM

10-5 Sox!!!!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2007, 01:02 AM

At least Holliday got another HR, I'm happy for that.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 01:08 AM

Fork, meet Rocks. Rocks, meet fork.
I suppose for every Cinderella there is a clock striking midnight. Still, for us Rockies fans, a good season, and clearly the best they've had.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

abe
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2007, 01:57 AM

This may be slightly off the subject, but did you hear that gal sing the national anthem?

THAT'S how the song was meant to be sung!!!
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Cybersparrow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2007, 02:14 AM

Well, it's almost time to wrap up yet another boring uncompetitive World Series in which one team smashes another. No wonder people think baseball is boring. By the way, I'm putting the TV on mute next game.

abe
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2007, 02:27 AM

We know that SOMEONE isn't a Sox fan.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Oct 29, 2007, 06:31 AM

Go Sox!

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2007, 01:07 PM

Yes!!!!!

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Captain Obvious  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 05:32 PM

Bah, the Rockies needed more vets on the team to hold them together during that week off. They could have rallied better, as was shown in game 3, if they'd just had someone to give them direction.

Now that this season is over i am hoping for A-rod to come to the Cubs. It will just be too amusing for them to shell out all that cash just to fold like a cheap suit at the end of next season.
I was put off by the NYY during the WS this year and the media whoring they did. The more they fall apart the better.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

abe
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 05:47 PM

For the record, yesterday the Red Sox swept the Rockies in 4 games and are the 2007 World Champions.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2007, 08:54 PM

and to add to the record; tomorrow is the victory parade in Boston.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 09:53 PM

And for the record, the was the second least watched World Series on record (however they gauge that).

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2007, 10:28 PM

i blame those crying rags that were all over coors field.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2007, 10:30 PM

what was the first ghoser?

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 10:33 PM

The first rated world series or the first ghoser? I'm technically the second, as Rowengartner from Rookie of the Year was called Gardenhoser first (which is where my name is derived from - my xc coach in high school saw Fahrenbacher and immediately though of Gardenhoser).

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2007, 10:40 PM

what was the least watched world series ghoser?

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 10:52 PM

The year before - St. Louis versus Detroit.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2007, 10:56 PM

makes sense

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2007, 10:58 PM

Bah... It's more interesting when teams without insanely high payrolls that aren't expected to win win. Screw the Red Sox.

I hope the Kansas City Royals take down the Red Sox next year.

Captain Obvious  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 11:49 PM

I know a lot of people who were looking forward to the WS until game 1 was over. That blow out just made people tune out.

With how popular college football on TV is now and with the NFL's stupid pre-season starting in August baseball needs to wrap it up my mid October if they want to have good ratings.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 08:34 AM

I saw John Henry and the WS trophy last night at Sonsie.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2007, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I know a lot of people who were looking forward to the WS until game 1 was over. That blow out just made people tune out.

With how popular college football on TV is now and with the NFL's stupid pre-season starting in August baseball needs to wrap it up my mid October if they want to have good ratings.
Screw the ratings, the World Series needs to end by mid-October to save pitchers' arms! Plus, the weather in early April always sucks in the northern cities. Late October is usually just cold, but early April is wet (and sometimes snowy, just ask Cleveland!)

I'm all for reducing the season from 162 games to 154 (or even 148!) in order to hack a few days off the beginning and end of the season, and insure that the Words Series ends in October. The only reservation I have is that it would make it that much harder for someone to break Barry's records.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Bah... It's more interesting when teams without insanely high payrolls that aren't expected to win win. Screw the Red Sox.

I hope the Kansas City Royals take down the Red Sox next year.
After searching it seems KC has a payroll of 67,166,500.

Seems pretty high to me for an organization that hits a ball with a wooden stick. Just because the Yankees or Red Sox spend double that doesn't make 67 million any less ludicrous.

Plus, you're forgetting that even with the highest payroll the Yankess have sucked it up the last few years so I guess money isn't everything.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
After searching it seems KC has a payroll of 67,166,500.

Seems pretty high to me for an organization that hits a ball with a wooden stick. Just because the Yankees or Red Sox spend double that doesn't make 67 million any less ludicrous.

Plus, you're forgetting that even with the highest payroll the Yankess have sucked it up the last few years so I guess money isn't everything.
Absolutely true, I'm just a committed underdog fan. My favorite team was Cleavland because I liked how they developed their talent from within and didn't simply go on mad spending sprees like the Yankees (and Red Sox, to a lesser extent) did. I prefer rooting for teams that defy the odds and win, not simply teams that execute as people were expecting them to all along.
( Last edited by besson3c; Oct 30, 2007 at 04:10 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 01:00 PM

It looks like baseball needs a salary cap like Football.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2007, 04:10 PM

hockey also has a salary cap.

Forum Links
Forum Rules