Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > no iphones for us 10.3.9 users

no iphones for us 10.3.9 users
ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2007, 07:08 PM

OS 10.3.9 = NO iPHONE!!

So I've spent a hell of a lot of time preparing to get this iphone, ie number porting info, call quality, pros, cons, service plans, coverage, etc. only to find out as I launch iTunes that I CAN'T ACTIVIATE THE F##^**&(@#$%%ING THING UNLESS I'M USING OS 10.4.10!!!! I'm still using 10.3.9!!!

Excuuuuse me for not being ready to spend over $1200 to get a new computer that will run Tiger or Leopard or Kitty or Bobcat or Dingbat or whatever the hell Apple is pushing. I am a devoted Apple user and this just hurts bigtime.

Clearly I didn't read the fine print on the bottom of the box that was just pointed out by the Applecare guy. And oh by the way, the commissioned sales guy at ATT didn't mention that I'd need a specific OS higher than 10.3. And neither did the several Apple employees in two different states specifiy the need for 10.4. Who knew? I just can't believe that I didn't hear, learn or read about this obvious requirement. And my bad for not thinking to ask!!!

Oh, yea, sure the Applecare guy said I could activate it on a Windows machine with XP Home or SP2 or Vista but forget about being able to sync anything from my own ibook. So no music, photos, ical, addressbook. . .

So, yea I'd be interested in getting a new Macbook in the near future and Leopard looks lovely, but I don't like to be forced into purchasing unecessary equipment and software in order to use something else.

Packing the little deceitful devil back in the box and getting my $400 + tax back tomorrow-pronto!!

Cold Warrior
Nov 14, 2007, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by ClaraT View Post
OS 10.3.9 = NO iPHONE!!

Clearly I didn't read the fine print on the bottom of the box
Clearly.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2007, 07:27 PM

10.3.9 is a really old OS. What kind of machine are you using that doesn't support 10.4?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2007, 07:29 PM

Yes I'm ultimately responsible for knowing but is it too much to ask that somewhere on the display, in the stores, on the box in bold, 12 point type the message "Requires OS X is 10.4.10 or later." is prominently displayed?

On the bottom of the box (which is only pulled out at the cash register when they're asking for your credit card info, address, social, first pet's name and the teacher you most feared in grade school) the first mention of "requirements" is in reference to the two year service plan with AT&T.

In the scheme of things, it's no big deal. It's just not time for me own one of these yet.

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2007, 07:32 PM

ibook 800, G4

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2007, 07:34 PM

You could return the iPhone or you could you know just buy Tiger from eBay or Leopard and move on with your life. This issue is such a non-issue that its funny.
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2007, 07:54 PM

ibook 800, G4
That machine will run 10.4 perfectly fine. We have thousands of iBook G4's here were I work running 10.4
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

mrmister
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2007, 08:27 PM

You're very odd--the amount of restock fee you are going to have to pay would probably be enough to buy Tiger, which will run splendidly on your computer. I understand that you're upset, but this really seems illogical--maybe something else is at work?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2007, 08:45 PM

ibook 800, G4
I have 10.4 running just fine on the same specs iBook you have.

AppleJockey
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2007, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by mrmister View Post
You're very odd--the amount of restock fee you are going to have to pay would probably be enough to buy Tiger, which will run splendidly on your computer. I understand that you're upset, but this really seems illogical--maybe something else is at work?
took the words out of my mouth

I suppose the OP would say something like

"I dont wanna be forced to upgrade........"

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 14, 2007, 10:19 PM

I just upgraded my wife's 800MHz G4iBook to Tiger and it runs great. It should be quite inexpensive to buy as well, now that Leopard has come out.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2007, 10:20 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement. I appreciate your "talking me down" from my tirade. It's just that I've been told that my ibook (G4, 800, 640mb) wasn't built to handle Tiger--or Leopard.

From a different post about this question:

"this is the min. requirement for leopard per the Apple Store:

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor
• 512MB of physical RAM
• DVD drive for installation"

If I can in fact download Tiger and if it can run just fine on here, then maybe I'll consider your suggestions. You make a good point about restocking fee offsetting buying Tiger, but I'm within in the first 14 days of having the iphone which AT&T told me would mean I would not pay the restocking charge.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2007, 10:31 PM

Requirements for Tiger are:

"PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor
Built-in FireWire
At least 256 MB of RAM (512 MB or 1 GB recommended)
At least 3 GB of available hard disk space; 4 GB of disk space including the Xcode 2 Tools
DVD drive (CD media exchange was available; offer ended March 19, 2007)"

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2007, 10:31 PM

Honestly, you should just buy Tiger and keep your iPhone - it is an awesome device and you'll regret sending it back for the sake of the $50 or so extra Tiger will cost you. Hell, Tiger is certainly a step up from 10.3 as well so consider it a silver lining that in the end you will end up with not only with a brilliant phone but a better computer.

Cheers.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2007, 02:55 AM

In the time it took to post these posts, you could've gotten Tiger, installed it and registered your iPhone.

Do it! Do it noooowww!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2007, 03:20 AM

I used to have Tiger working fine on a 450 MHz G4 that your iBook would run circles around. I'm about to install it on a Pismo that has a 400 MHz G3. Your 800 MHz iBook will run it just fine.

I'd probably upgrade the RAM to about 1 GB if you've only got the stock memory configuration though.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
In the time it took to post these posts, you could've gotten Tiger, installed it and registered your iPhone.

Do it! Do it noooowww!
Ok.
How do I do this?

1. Where do I get it? (Apple Store lists it at $129.)
2. Which version?--my ibook doesn't have a DVD player and I don't think it's possible to download 10.4.1 is it?
3. How do I do the install without screwing anything up on my current computer?

Any simple steps anyone?

If someone will point me in the right direction, I'll head there.
Here's the info on my ibook that I purchased in Feb. 04 running 10.3.9:
Hardware Overview:
Machine Model: iBook G4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 800 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
Memory: 640 MB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.7.7f0

Many thanks for your support.

Cold Warrior
Nov 15, 2007, 12:01 PM

craigslist and ebay may have it cheaper now that leopard is out.

no, you cannot download 10.4.1 without first installing 10.4 from a disc. However, once it's installed, Software Update will show you applicable updates (e.g., to .11).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2007, 12:21 PM

I don't know if the CD version is still around. You could check eBay.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2007, 12:34 PM

Just make sure not to get a machine-specific version if you buy it on eBay. Those only work on the machine they're intended for, although some dishonest people on eBay will try to convince you otherwise.

What you need is a plain vanilla retail copy of Tiger.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2007, 01:06 PM

The iphone is going back and the $400 + tax will go toward a new macbook.

Here's why:

I called two local mac shops with my tale of woe. Both cautioned the lifespan left on my hd, stating they are seeing alot of ibooks in the age range of mine failing. A 4 year old HD is, well . .old.

One person said putting Tiger on my computer can be done, but with the spinning beachball and other grinding, cranking noises it would be another issue as to how well it would run. Both companies said it would be about $300-$500 to install, replace with a new HD and set up and each person I talked with advised putting the money towards a new computer with Leopard. I didn't feel like I was being pressured to buy--they were both very helpful in the discussion of possibilities.

So for those of you who urged me to upgrade to Tiger, I thank you and wonder if your hard drives are in much better shape than mine. Perhaps you did your move to Tiger when your machines were a bit younger.

Also in checking craigslist and ebay I'm finding ibooks as old as mine with Tiger for almost what plain vanilla Tiger software would cost if I could find it. Tiger CDs are hard to find.

I hope this discussion helps other unsuspecting 10.3.9 users prior to making their iphone purchase. It's helped me albeit, after the fact.

Much appreciation all.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 15, 2007, 01:17 PM

If you're having any problems at all with your iBook, I think you've made the right decision. My wife's iBook stays on her desk 99.9% of the time, and though it's been to school with her a few times, and even on a couple of business trips, it's been, well...sheltered. I expect it to last another year or so-and then be about 4 years old. By the way, I got Tiger to upgrade her machine with a student discount, which was about half price for Tiger-not so for Leopard-you save an amazing $13 with the student price! Enjoy your MacBook!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2007, 05:47 PM

Epilouge--

AT&T refunded me the entire amount. And I didn't have to pay the 10% restocking fee.

It took some talking, but once the manager met me he offered the choice of getting ALL my money back or applying the restocking fee to another purchase.

Even got the full sales tax from CA refunded here in MD.

Lingered over the iPhone on display one more time . . .

Fade to black.

Forum Links
Forum Rules