Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Extreme & FTP

Airport Extreme & FTP
dj_frankle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2007, 01:21 AM

After purchasing the new Airport Extreme Gigabit I must say I am rather impressed. Coming from the Netgear WNR854T which had several firmware issues (dropping wireless, dropping all connections, say "boo" and it would crap itself and need a hard reset) I am very pleased with the ease of setup and use, especially the Airport Disk, great feature, and I also hope to add a USB hub and printer in the next week.

Now to my only real issue with this great product, it is having problems with FTP in that it will not allow an incoming request for a directory list. To clarify, when you login via Cyberduck it will point you to the right directory but will not give you the content contained in it.

I have narrowed it down to the AEBS due to the fact that I have 2 computers with FTP software, a PC running Serv-U and a G4 running Pure FTPd Manager, and the same problem occurs no matter which computer I forward port 21 and 20 to. This issue is not there with the WNR854T (I still have it, I can't part with it just yet) so it must be the AEBS.

Can anyone help me with this, maybe explain their setup with the AEBS that is currently working?

Thank-you.
My Macs: MacBook White C2D, 2.0GHz, 4GB, 120GB 7200rpm HDD
PowerBook 12" 1.33GHz, 1.25GB, 80GB 7200rpm HDD (i bought it but the misses owns it!)
... waiting for new Mac Mini ... want 2.4GHz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm HDD ...

desertmac
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2007, 02:18 AM

I have a Verizon FIOS router that connects to the internet through a cable. I have AEBS connected to the FIOS router as a bridge. I have assigned a static IP address to one of my computers, and forwarded Port 21 on that computer. I reliably access that computer now through Transmit from outside the network.

Hope that helps.
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

dj_frankle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2007, 10:43 PM

So are you port forwarding via the AEBS or the FIOS?

Thanks.
My Macs: MacBook White C2D, 2.0GHz, 4GB, 120GB 7200rpm HDD
PowerBook 12" 1.33GHz, 1.25GB, 80GB 7200rpm HDD (i bought it but the misses owns it!)
... waiting for new Mac Mini ... want 2.4GHz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm HDD ...

desertmac
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2007, 10:55 PM

Through FIOS
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

IanTM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2008, 08:23 AM

Hi folks,

Better late than never... just incase someone comes across this thread looking for an answer.

This could be a PASV vs PORT mode problem. Is the firewall still enabled on the AEBS or is UPNP disabled on the FIOS? PASV mode works by starting the conversation on port 21 but then chooses a random port high up to then coninue the conversation. Therefore you would not have noticed an issue previously with your UPNP router. The AEBS does not support UPNP. This could be why it's failing on the directory list command. On your FTP servers there should be an option to use PORT mode rather than PASV mode ... there is also usually an option in the FTP clients settings too.

As an aside... why are you using the firewall on the FIOS and not the AEBS? Surely the FIOS should be setup as a modem device for the AEBS to use just for connectivity.

Regards,

Ian.

Forum Links
Forum Rules