Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Preview (Leopard) and PDF forms

Preview (Leopard) and PDF forms
desertmac
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2007, 11:12 PM

I have encountered a strange behavior in Preview (10.5.1) with PDF forms. If you open a PDF form, fill it out and try to save it, you get a message saying "If you overwrite the original file some PDF attributes may be lost. Choose Save As . . . to save a copy instead." The Save button is changed to Save As.

But when you hit the Save As button and choose a different file name, all of the information you have entered into the PDF form is lost, and the form reverts back to a blank form. Strange.

The only workaround I have found is to print the completed form as a PDF file from the print menu instead of using the Save As button. This creates a a PDF file that retains the information you have entered into the form. You do lose the option of re-editing the information you entered into the form, but you can add information to the now filled-in file using something like FormMate or an equivalent application.

Hope this might save someone else some time.
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

Cold Warrior
Nov 20, 2007, 11:19 PM

I have not been able to save 'savable' pdf forms either. Figured this was just a limitation of Preview. I keep a copy of Reader on hand and up-to-date for forms, especially savable ones.

desertmac  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2007, 11:29 PM

That's another good strategy. I have been trying to ween myself off Acrobat Reader and Professional in Leopard.
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

Cold Warrior
Nov 20, 2007, 11:34 PM

I've found Reader faster and more responsive in Leopard on my MacBook Pro than it ever was under 10.4.

desertmac  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2007, 12:22 AM

That's good news. I am actually trying to reduce the number of apps I have to use. But if I need to revert to Reader glad to know it's more responsive under Leopard.
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules