Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > All-in-one Injket recommendations?

All-in-one Injket recommendations?
Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2007, 01:24 PM

Anyone got an opinion on an all-in-one Inkjet printer? It's for a business that I'm helping out which is running on Macs. They currently have a "borrowed" printer, but the owner wants it back soon. I think an all-in-one inkjet is more in their price range than a laser printer.

I've had horrible experiences with older HP's on the Mac, generally finding that their drivers (especially on Intel-based Macs) are poo. I actually junked my older HP for an Epson due to all the problems (the driver would hang Intel-based Macs intermittently when printing), which is fine except the Epson goes through ink like water. As I've talked with my Mac-using friends, though, they have had nothing but glowing praise for their HP's, so I'm willing to give their newer stuff a shot if The Internet recommends them.

Since the local CompUSA just started their fire sale, I'd like to offer a recommendation or two soon, so they can get it locally with a bit of a discount.

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2007, 07:12 PM

I've had nothing but good luck with the Canon MP160. Scanning works as expected; the printed page comes out fine, and copies are a snap. For a low-end consumer all-in-one, it isn't bad!
17" Rev. A MBP (ATI X1600 256 MB, 2 GB RAM, OS 10.5, Parallels Build 3214)

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2007, 08:16 PM

While it seems like a laser is out of their price range now, in the long run it will save them substantial money over an inkjet. A single toner cartridge for $50 will far outlast three or four black and white ink cartridges at $15-$25 each. And since you can send back the used cartridges in the packaging from the new ones, it's more environmentally friendly, too.

Invest the $300 in a low-end HP LaserJet now, and you won't be sorry. I wouldn't recommend the cheaper Lexmark and Samsung laser printers; HP knows what they're doing in this area more than the competitors, and the quality really can't be beat.

Just my $0.06.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

meonherenow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2007, 07:57 PM

I just got an Epson Stylus Photo RX595 - about $150. Copying and scanning went off without a hitch. But the printing driver for this model and my Tiger flavored MacBook was a headache for these last seven days.
After a long week of trial and error, it turns out that Gimp-print needed to be more recently and more specifically updated with the gutenprint-5.1.4-UB.dmg. I hope no one else has to go through that. Now the printing seems fine. Good quality. Fingers crossed. Now I'm just waiting to see how long (or not) the ink lasts. Good luck out there.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2007, 12:46 AM

My wife just bought me an HP C6250 from Costo. Something like $170. I haven't installed it yet, but looks good on paper, and Leopard appears to have built-in drivers for it.
6 color ink tanks (CMY, plus LC and LM for photos, plus a separate black tank). As far as I can tell, the scanner will run with either Apple's Image Capture application or HP's own. I'll let you know when I get it all installed (though likely not for another week - I need to rearrange a few things here in the office first).

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2007, 02:35 AM

I have one of the HP AIO's. I had to download to drivers from their website, but since then it has been running flawlessly. Though their software runs in Rosetta, I had downloaded this right when the Intel-based Macs came out, so they probably have Universal software out by now. I haven't tried it with Leopard yet, but it was flawless with Tiger. In fact their software works better on the Mac than on Windows.

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Dec 17, 2007, 04:46 AM

Canon all the way. Ink can be more expensive when compared to other brands. That is the only downside I have found. My Canon Pixma has been problem free for me for 3 years now.

Check out the Canon Pixma MP610.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules