Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Any advantage to 2 networks with TC + AEBS

Any advantage to 2 networks with TC + AEBS
desertmac
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2008, 01:58 PM

I have recently purchased a Time Capsule. I already have a AEBS (N capable). Both are connected right now to a Verizon FIOS router creating separate N (b/g compatible) networks. I did this so that my wife and I could connect to one network created by TC and have the second network dedicated only to the Apple TV and the third computer that it streams from.

My thinking is that if my wife and I were on the internet or printing via the TC network and we were streaming music or a movie to Apple TV via the AEBS network, that I would have less drop outs on the Apple TV streaming than if everything was using the TC network.

Is this a reasonable analysis, or could I just run everything off of the TC network and see the same performance with Apple TV even if my wife and I are also using the TC network?
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2008, 02:44 PM

There's bound to be confusion out there on this subject. If you actually have multiple IP addresses provided by your ISP (which is rare), then you could use multiple routers as you describe. But if the devices are sharing one IP address (most likely the case) then you need to choose which router to use as the router and then put the other router(s) such as TC in what's called bridge mode, or else the devices won't technically be on the same LAN (so you won't be able to see all the devices from any one device) and you may start experiencing connectivity issues with the routers confusing each other. And your performance will definitely not be any better with multiple routers in router mode because you'll have redundant layers of NAT that will, at the very least, slow things down.

I hope Apple has at least tried to cover this issue in its documentation.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

desertmac  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2008, 02:52 PM

Thanks Big Mac. Appreciate the response.

I actually have BOTH TC and the AEBS in bridge mode; both are connected to the FIOS router via ethernet cable. So they share one internet connection. The question is whether having two networks will be of help to my Apple TV performance when it is streaming content from a third computer and my wife and I are connected to the internet or printing via the other network.
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2008, 03:09 PM

You're quite welcome. I don't know what you mean precisely by two networks, however. If there's one IP address from your ISP there should be one router in router mode and any other router(s) in bridge mode. To have it any other way is to have an improper configuration.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

desertmac  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
You're quite welcome. I don't know what you mean precisely by two networks, however. If there's one IP address from your ISP there should be one router in router mode and any other router(s) in bridge mode. To have it any other way is to have an improper configuration.
Yes, both the AEBS and the TC are in bridge mode; the Verizon FIOS router is the only one in router mode.

But in Airport Utility, I have configured TC to create one network and the AEBS to create a second network. My wife and I connect to the TC network; my third computer and Apple TV connect to the AEBS network. The question is: will this set up help with streaming to the Apple TV when my wife and I are connected to the internet or printing on the TC network?
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules