Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How slow is the new Macbook Air?

How slow is the new Macbook Air?
MikeD
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2008, 01:53 PM

I currently have an original Macbook (black) 2.0 ghz Core Duo Processor. It's not the Core2 though. I usually have word, powerpoint, iweb, photoshop, and keynote open along with my internet apps. (I know, I should probably close some stuff) but at work, I'm constantly switching between them. I'm starting to guess that it would be better for me to go to a MacBook Pro for my next machine. However, I was just curious about the speed of the macbook air as I do bring my laptop EVERYWHERE.... So portability is important. Too bad I need power too

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

Cold Warrior
Apr 19, 2008, 01:59 PM

In your situation, RAM is very important. Since the MB Air takes only 2GB RAM, you wouldn't be satisfied with the performance.

You should consider a MBP with 4GB RAM.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2008, 04:22 PM

I use a MBAir for everything you do except for Photoshop and it works fine. I think the answer depends on what you use Photoshop for.

MikeD  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2008, 08:06 PM

Photoshop for minor touchups to photos and some minor editing. Very basic iMovie stuff too. It's just that even with the macbook I currently have, I do notice things getting slow and lagging in apps when I'm working between many things. I usually do my presentations in keynote, shared stuff between colleagues in powerpoint. Trying to manage and update my website daily etc etc. With all those open apps, I organize them with spaces and that slows things down too! I wish I could 'try' one for awhile! How is the SSD going for you Mduell? do you also carry around a portable drive with you for everything else?
iPhone 4 / iPad!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2008, 08:42 PM

The MBA is really slow. It will be slower than your CD MB. And it's RAM-crippled too. Get a MBP with enough RAM instead.

As you can see, though the MacBook Air (1.8 GHz, 64 GB SSD) costs more, it is way behind the MacBook Pro 2.6 in performance. I know it's thinner and lighter but if you think the two are in any way close in performance, you are mistaken. Not only is the CPU in the MacBook Pro much faster but the graphics processor (GPU) is also much faster.
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 20, 2008 at 06:12 AM. Reason: typo)

MikeD  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2008, 11:30 PM

Thanks guys for your input... I'll just admire the MBAir but will be shopping for a MBP!
iPhone 4 / iPad!

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2008, 07:07 AM

Of course if it had two usb ports, it would be much faster. Then again, if it had an internal cd drive, it would be even with the Macbook Pro.

Of course, I jest. I have a Macbook Air. For the LIFE of me, what's the big deal with 2 gigs of RAM? My three month Dell laptop has 2 gigs, too. Nobody bitches about that anywhere.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2008, 07:08 AM

Oh, I forgot to add that my Air blows the hell out of my 1.8ghz G5 iMac. I believe that only has 2 gigs of ram, as well.

Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2008, 10:17 AM

I have a MBP witg 4GB RAM and its pretty damn dast. I borrowed the Air from a friend for a couple of days to get a feel for it and yes, there were times when I felt the system was stalled. More than the RAM, it is the slow HD that makes you feel the difference and my guess is that with an SSD it would be better.

-a

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2008, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Photoshop for minor touchups to photos and some minor editing. Very basic iMovie stuff too. It's just that even with the macbook I currently have, I do notice things getting slow and lagging in apps when I'm working between many things. I usually do my presentations in keynote, shared stuff between colleagues in powerpoint. Trying to manage and update my website daily etc etc. With all those open apps, I organize them with spaces and that slows things down too! I wish I could 'try' one for awhile! How is the SSD going for you Mduell? do you also carry around a portable drive with you for everything else?
How much RAM is in your MB? I don't have any beachball issues with Mail/Firefox/iChat/Office/iWork open at the same time.
I've tried the SSD and HDD models and there's not that much difference between them; they each have marginal advantages for different usage patterns. I had hoped Apple was providing a $1500 (high performance) SSD for their $999 upgrade price (possible due to volume), but instead it's more like a $300 (low performance) SSD with a lot of markup.

packet of krisps
Apr 20, 2008, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Of course if it had two usb ports, it would be much faster. Then again, if it had an internal cd drive, it would be even with the Macbook Pro.

Of course, I jest. I have a Macbook Air. For the LIFE of me, what's the big deal with 2 gigs of RAM? My three month Dell laptop has 2 gigs, too. Nobody bitches about that anywhere.
Um... your kidding right? 1.8 Ghz versus 2.4Ghz > A bigger screen, and what some people call a "real" keyboard, not to mention FW400 and 800, and the ability to actually upgrade RAM. Not to mention an actual GPU and not just the puny onboard, I can't figure out how any one could actually rely on one of those things to get any real aperture and serious PS work done.

[15" MacBook Pro 2.6 Ghz] [G4 733] [G4 MDD DP 1.25]

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2008, 04:44 AM

I'm kidding, I'm just sarcastic as hell. And maybe people who don't do those things can happily use a Macbook Air. Like me. I have Photoshop Elements and I don't have any complaints. I guess if you need the power that the Macbook Pro offers, then you can use that. I needed the weight savings for some reasons.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 07:28 AM

If you're in the market for a new laptop and you take your laptop everywhere. The MBA could work, provided you can live within the 13" screen (which you already do). Photoshop is the wildcard in the mix. If you're happy with PS in your MB, then the performance isn't going to be that much slower. It will be slower but probably not too much.

Personally by going from a MB to an MBA, you are only gaining the smaller lighter form factor but that may be important enough for you. I don't take my 15" MBP everywhere, just around the house or when I travel which is a few times a year, but I don't think I'd want to take that everywhere I go. The MB maybe, the MBA probably but not the MBP, so keep in mind if you go the MBP route get a feel if the form factor and weight is to your liking.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2008, 08:18 AM

I have a 2.2GHz MacBook and I'm very happy. It has a smaller footprint than a MacBook Pro and it'll accept 4GB of RAM unlike the MacBook Air.

For me, it was the best compromise between portability and performance.

packet of krisps
Apr 21, 2008, 12:09 PM

I'm kidding, I'm just sarcastic as hell. And maybe people who don't do those things can happily use a Macbook Air. Like me. I have Photoshop Elements and I don't have any complaints. I guess if you need the power that the Macbook Pro offers, then you can use that. I needed the weight savings for some reasons.
oh, sorry haha, I just have a strong hate for those things.

HAGEhead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2008, 10:52 AM

lol @ all the misinformation in this here thread. most of it is based in, as admitted in the post above mine, a STRONG HATE for the macbook air. very rational indeed.

i wonder how many people in this thread actually have used one.

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2008, 07:15 PM

I have a 1.8ghz macbook air, and I run Photoshop CS3 and Photomatix Pro on it just fine while surfing the web, chatting on aim, and listening to music with iTunes. I am on 1gb ram. Runs fast with no hiccups. 80gb hd.

And with CS3/Photomatix, it's not just small images I edit - I work with 5-7 exposure HDRs, each being 8MP and in RAW.

It's a great machine. Maybe a bit pricey, but to me, it was worth every penny.
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2008, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by kertong View Post
I have a 1.8ghz macbook air, and I run Photoshop CS3 and Photomatix Pro on it just fine while surfing the web, chatting on aim, and listening to music with iTunes. I am on 1gb ram.
All MacBook Airs have 2GB RAM.

packet of krisps
Apr 25, 2008, 09:01 PM

I don't own one, but I have one of those friends who has to have everything. He loves it, he knows all he uses it for is web browsing and MS Office, and he knows if he wanted to do any photo editing he would move up to a real machine, he says he will someday, but the MBA is sexy enough for him for a while.

And it is, it's a decent machine I guess, but anyone who does real work can't appreciate it's extremely high price tag.

It's not the MBA specifically, it's any machine without a GPU, for processing thumbnails, rapid work in aperture, etc. It's the fact that it's so overpriced and that it has the same specs as my IBM thinkpad from 2003, and that thing only cost me 1500 bucks even when the technology wasn't as old.

I know your paying for the thinnest laptop in the world, I also know that no one needs, and for some, don't even want a laptop that thin, i'd be so afraid of a device that small, costing so much, I would never take it anywhere.

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2008, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
All MacBook Airs have 2GB RAM.

Whoops, you're right. I must've gotten it confused with my mac mini - I stand corrected. Thanks.
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by packet of krisps View Post
...And it is, it's a decent machine I guess, but anyone who does real work can't appreciate it's extremely high price tag.

It's not the MBA specifically, it's any machine without a GPU, for processing thumbnails, rapid work in aperture, etc. It's the fact that it's so overpriced and that it has the same specs as my IBM thinkpad from 2003, and that thing only cost me 1500 bucks even when the technology wasn't as old...
Your definition of "real work" applies to you. My boss, who writes contracts, emails, delivers slide shows, etc. does "real work". My "real work" involves a high end work station.

And it's not overpriced compared to the competition.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2008, 08:06 AM

OMFG, dude, you better duck. I can't believe you just said that. "It's not overpriced..." My GOD man, are you crazy? These Mac zealots and Air haters are going to kill you here.

Iz okay, I own one, too. It's my main laptop.

OreoCookie
Apr 27, 2008, 08:47 AM

It's not the MBA specifically, it's any machine without a GPU, for processing thumbnails, rapid work in aperture, etc. It's the fact that it's so overpriced and that it has the same specs as my IBM thinkpad from 2003, and that thing only cost me 1500 bucks even when the technology wasn't as old.
The chip Apple uses is brand new, it's not old. If you mean by old that you could have a cpu with similar performance, then you're right that you could have bought it in 2006 (in 2003, you couldn't get such cpu performance in a laptop). Leonovo (the company formerly known as IBM) and other companies are using the same chip in similarly priced notebooks. Prices for Leonovo's X300 start at 2500 € (granted some of its specs are better, but the prices are certainly in the same ballpark).
I know your paying for the thinnest laptop in the world, I also know that no one needs, and for some, don't even want a laptop that thin, i'd be so afraid of a device that small, costing so much, I would never take it anywhere.
Why do you need to extrapolate from your own needs?
If it weren't for my love of photography and Aperture, I'm sure this would be my next machine, no questions asked. I know plenty of people who'd take this machine in a heart beat.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

jogi
Apr 27, 2008, 10:14 AM

the biggest problem with the macbook air, that I haven't read about anywhere is if you encode videos for about 30 minutes, the machine reaches around 75 C. Then it drops the frequency of the processor to prevent overheating... That means that your encoding is performed at 1200Mhz or even at 800Mhz....

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2008, 10:32 AM

Used an air for the first time on Friday.

It didn't seem perceptually slower than my 2.1 Ghz MBP for light tasks, mail, web etc but I guess it would take a hit on CS3 apps etc. Still given that it is squarley targeted at rich, image conscious execs I guess that's not a problem.

packet of krisps
Apr 27, 2008, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
The chip Apple uses is brand new, it's not old. If you mean by old that you could have a cpu with similar performance, then you're right that you could have bought it in 2006 (in 2003, you couldn't get such cpu performance in a laptop). Leonovo (the company formerly known as IBM) and other companies are using the same chip in similarly priced notebooks. Prices for Leonovo's X300 start at 2500 € (granted some of its specs are better, but the prices are certainly in the same ballpark).
I made a mistake, the chip in the MBA is dual core, the one in the thinkpad I have is a Pentium M single core at 1.8 Ghz, the laptop was 1500 dollars in the end, it came with a 40GB HD, and 256MB of DDR.
As for the MBA, I know it's a brand new chip, but the fact that it's only 1.6 Ghz (even dual core), and that your paying so much more for a chip just to be smaller is what I was going after.

Why do you need to extrapolate from your own needs?
If it weren't for my love of photography and Aperture, I'm sure this would be my next machine, no questions asked. I know plenty of people who'd take this machine in a heart beat.
'
That is my point though, I was trying to be very careful with my wording there, I know it's a sexy laptop, and that a lot of people want to buy it, but what I really was trying to say is that while many people want it, there are some that don't, even if those are very small numbers.

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post

It didn't seem perceptually slower than my 2.1 Ghz MBP for light tasks, mail, web etc but I guess it would take a hit on CS3 apps etc. Still given that it is squarley targeted at rich, image conscious execs I guess that's not a problem.
( Last edited by packet of krisps; Apr 27, 2008 at 02:34 PM. )

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post

Please don't make assumptions like that unless you're part of Apple's marketing team. I use a cane to navigate and the weight savings are a blessing. It's not targeted at a certain segment of society, just the ones that want one.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2008, 03:56 PM

Yeah, what's the deal with the insults? MBA is targeted towards idiots with too much money? What's the deal with that? Baloney. It's obviously just not geared towards people on a budget. What happened to "Apple didn't come out with what I want, oh well, better luck next time"? Suck it up, learn to live with it. No need to insult others. Grow up for Pete's sake.

OreoCookie
Apr 27, 2008, 05:32 PM

I made a mistake, the chip in the MBA is dual core, the one in the thinkpad I have is a Pentium M single core at 1.8 Ghz, the laptop was 1500 dollars in the end, it came with a 40GB HD, and 256MB of DDR.
As for the MBA, I know it's a brand new chip, but the fact that it's only 1.6 Ghz (even dual core), and that your paying so much more for a chip just to be smaller is what I was going after.
The Pentium M is about half as fast (in terms of floating point performance, the difference is smaller in integer performance) as one core of the Core 2 Duo per clock -- which is the cpu in the AirBook -- and it's got two of them!
Some numbers:
Pentium M@2 GHz (755): specint 1528, specfp 1078
Core Duo@2 GHz (T2600): specint 1796, specfp 1615
Core 2 [email protected] GHz (T7400): specint 2284, specfp 2173

I've taken these numbers from the official spec site, they all come from Dell Mobile Workstations (to keep them as comparable as possible). You will be able to find different spec numbers but my argument is just about orders of magnitude and the MHz myth: just because they run at approximately the same clock speed doesn't mean they are about as fast.

mikeschr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2008, 03:51 PM

A lot of the posts in this thread are really insulting. I got a MacBook Air last week. I'm happy with it, and "image" has nothing to do with why I like it.

If you get your pleasure from your laptop by reading a list of specs, this isn't the machine for you.
If you get your pleasure from your laptop by plugging a bunch of things into it and using the DVD drive, this isn't the machine for you.
If you get your pleasure from your laptop by having something extremely light that can easily be carried all day, this might be the machine for you.

The complaints here about the processor speed are silly. I haven't noticed any slowdown in performance compared to my other Macs. I suppose if I measured it with a stopwatch, it would be slower, but it isn't perceptible. And the processor is much faster than comparable machines in the same weight class. And it's cheaper than most of those, too.
Yes, if I were encoding video on it, I'm sure it would be slower, but why in the world would someone buy a MacBook Air for the purpose of encoding video? That's what the other Macs are for.

Now the rest of you can go back to reading your specs. I'm going to enjoy using my laptop, if you don't mind.

packet of krisps
Apr 28, 2008, 03:53 PM

Never Mind.
( Last edited by packet of krisps; Apr 28, 2008 at 04:01 PM. )

packet of krisps
Apr 28, 2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by mikeschr View Post
A lot of the posts in this thread are really insulting. I got a MacBook Air last week. I'm happy with it, and "image" has nothing to do with why I like it.

If you get your pleasure from your laptop by reading a list of specs, this isn't the machine for you.
If you get your pleasure from your laptop by plugging a bunch of things into it and using the DVD drive, this isn't the machine for you.
If you get your pleasure from your laptop by having something extremely light that can easily be carried all day, this might be the machine for you.

The complaints here about the processor speed are silly. I haven't noticed any slowdown in performance compared to my other Macs. I suppose if I measured it with a stopwatch, it would be slower, but it isn't perceptible. And the processor is much faster than comparable machines in the same weight class. And it's cheaper than most of those, too.
Yes, if I were encoding video on it, I'm sure it would be slower, but why in the world would someone buy a MacBook Air for the purpose of encoding video? That's what the other Macs are for.

Now the rest of you can go back to reading your specs. I'm going to enjoy using my laptop, if you don't mind.
First of all, if you don't like comparing specs, than don't come to the thread, for the most part, threads like these do get down to comparing specs, it's pretty much what it takes to answer "how slow is the new macbook air" types of questions.

If you don't care about your image, then why spend 700 dollars more on a laptop?

As I have said before, the processor speed for me, isn't the biggest deal, it's the lack of a GPU. What you and many others do on that laptop is pretty much the same you can do on a 333 Mhz iMac, you don't have anything to compare. As stated in many other posts about the laptop above, you don't notice any sluggishness because you aren't doing much: Web browsing, light iPhoto work, etc.

The processor in a MBA is amazing, it's innovative, and I don't have a problem with it, it's the price that I have a problem with. There are no other laptops in the world that are this thin, which is why it's so expensive, but as I keep saying, it's the lack of a GPU that makes me dislike it so much.

I honestly don't care much anymore, my hate for this thing really comes from the fact that I wanted it to replace the 12" powerbook, which at this point, is a legend. The MBA cannot be compared to a PB, it's not at all in the same class, I, and many others wished for an actual pro machine, just with specs that weren't as good as a sacrifice for the size. The MBA is so different from a MBP it's almost completely incomparable. The 12" PB was probably the best laptop I have ever owned, I just really wanted a replacement for it, and am still getting over the fact that it's not coming.
( Last edited by packet of krisps; Apr 28, 2008 at 04:09 PM. )

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 04:21 PM

I believe the Macbook Air is tons CHEAPER than the vaunted Thinkpad X300, which is what everyone is saying is the best thing since sliced bread.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 05:59 PM

I've really got to wait till they double or quadruple the SSD size before I think about a MBA, but once that Hard Drive performance issue is overcome, I'm really going to look that direction, as much as I carry about my PB G4 (alum).

As for the "overpriced" -- the Apple marketing dept. has got to disagree. I have not seen the MBA budge from the TOP of Apple Store's best-seller list since in came out in January. [ I only argue that it's overpriced relative to my current bank balance. ]
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2008, 08:29 PM

I believe the Macbook Air is tons CHEAPER than the vaunted Thinkpad X300, which is what everyone is saying is the best thing since sliced bread.
Not really. With about the same config they're about the same price, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Apr 28, 2008, 11:48 PM

If you don't care about your image, then why spend 700 dollars more on a laptop?
Since when is the MBA only about image? I only use mine out in open public probably about 5% of the time. Fact is, it's powerful enough for most daily tasks AND it's easy to transport. And let's face it -- image is a feature of almost every (current, at least) Mac. Otherwise Apple wouldn't care about design so much.

The MBA isn't overpriced either, for its target market. Sure, it's no MacBook Pro, but those aren't targeted at the same market and between those and the MBA, they have distinctly different features. If speed-related features were the only thing that mattered in a computer, my laptop would be a motherboard and an LCD duct taped to several pieces of cardboard, because, you know, you could build that yourself for less than $500 and faster than an MBP, likely.

OreoCookie
Apr 29, 2008, 04:34 AM

Also, the 12" PowerBook's gpu wasn't a speed demon either, it was pretty much the slowest gpu of the generation of that time. In most benchmarks In this respect, it's no different from the AirBook or MacBook.

packet of krisps
Apr 29, 2008, 06:07 PM

It wasn't a speed demon, but had 64MB VRam, dedicated to video, as opposed to the 3 on board has. That is a big enough difference for me.

packet of krisps
Apr 29, 2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Stratus Fear View Post
Since when is the MBA only about image? I only use mine out in open public probably about 5% of the time. Fact is, it's powerful enough for most daily tasks AND it's easy to transport. And let's face it -- image is a feature of almost every (current, at least) Mac. Otherwise Apple wouldn't care about design so much.

The MBA isn't overpriced either, for its target market. Sure, it's no MacBook Pro, but those aren't targeted at the same market and between those and the MBA, they have distinctly different features. If speed-related features were the only thing that mattered in a computer, my laptop would be a motherboard and an LCD duct taped to several pieces of cardboard, because, you know, you could build that yourself for less than $500 and faster than an MBP, likely.
You can stop attacking me, I said I give up.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2008, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Yeah, what's the deal with the insults? MBA is targeted towards idiots with too much money? What's the deal with that? Baloney. It's obviously just not geared towards people on a budget. What happened to "Apple didn't come out with what I want, oh well, better luck next time"? Suck it up, learn to live with it. No need to insult others. Grow up for Pete's sake.
Right on, Simon. Personally, the MacBook Air is not for me, because I am on a bit of a budget, and I need more power from what is my main machine. But I can definitely see someone in a different situation benefiting from or desiring such a machine.

Just the other day I was discussing this with a someone else who could not understand why anyone would want such a machine. Then again he was also debating with me over why anyone would choose to use Photoshop Elements (which I am considering) instead of the full Adobe Creative suite.

Clearly, some people simply cannot step outside their own perspective and understand the needs and wants of others are not necessarily exactly the same as their own.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2008, 02:04 AM

This represents most, if not 99.99999%, of Mac users. While I am a huge Mac fan, I'm not a rabid one like most I see around the forums.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2008, 03:57 AM

IMHO the problem here is not so much the rabid Mac fans, but the Mac fans that extrapolate from their needs to the needs of every other member on this board.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2008, 05:23 AM

Yeah, I grow tired of hearing "the Air is overpriced..." just because the poster can't afford it. I love making fun of people like that, like when they say it's underpowered or something, or lacks ports... It's fun poking fun at them.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
May 1, 2008, 12:20 AM

You can stop attacking me, I said I give up.
Where did I attack you?

cms
Senior User
May 1, 2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Stratus Fear View Post
Where did I attack you?
Now I'm bored........

Stratus Fear
Senior User
May 1, 2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by cms View Post
Now I'm bored........
Looking for a fun thread derail that didn't happen?

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2008, 05:55 AM

Any engineer will tell you that any design of any device involves tradeoffs. If you want power, you may forfeit portability and price. If you want portability, you may forfeit power and price. So on and so forth.

In the end, the MBA's design is a compromise; a tradeoff. It's fantastically light and thin - my MacBook feels like an old Mac Portable next to it. But there are tradeoffs. The thing you need to ask yourself is wether the performance tradeoff (which seems to be the issue that affects you most) is something you can live with or not. Nobody can answer that question except you; only you know what your needs are.

It's like asking if, say, a Prius is a good vehicle. If your purpose for it is to win drag races, then no. If your purpose for it is to make deliveries to local restaurants from your bakery, then no. If your purpose is to tool around town while keeping your gas bill down, then yes. So when some people here call the MBA crap, remember that what they're saying is that it's crap for their needs. Your mileage may vary.

packet of krisps
May 8, 2008, 05:25 PM

Haha I drive a diesel excursion... So my needs are the same for both computers and cars, power. I also love the size of my macbook pro and of my truck, it makes people in priuses fear for their lives!

(here is that derail you hoped for)

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2008, 07:36 PM

I had the same black macbook core duo, now I have the 1.8Ghz MBA (with normal HDD) It's way faster than the old black macbook.

I use it mainly as internet/office machine, but every now and than It run's Photoshop just fine.

:-)
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

MikeD  (op)
Mac Elite
May 23, 2008, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by hsl View Post
I had the same black macbook core duo, now I have the 1.8Ghz MBA (with normal HDD) It's way faster than the old black macbook.

I use it mainly as internet/office machine, but every now and than It run's Photoshop just fine.

:-)
Whoa, here's one bit of insight for the thread! Thanks! Maybe I'll wait for Rev2 for sure then to make a decision.

See, I feel the MB Core Duo is getting slow (still usable- but just feeling slower as apps and OS get upgraded/updated). But I drag this thing EVERYWHERE! I'm a HS teacher and take it to and from work each day, to meetings, the coffee shops etc. Usually, I have these apps open all at once:

Word
Pages
PowerPoint
Keynote
Preview (sometimes)
Quicktime (sometimes)
iWeb w/large site loaded

Would like decent performance w/PS or Aperture (Need RAW processing for photography - my hobby)
iPhone 4 / iPad!

Forum Links
Forum Rules