Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can't add album/movie art to iTunes....help?

Can't add album/movie art to iTunes....help?
Paul Alvarez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2008, 02:53 PM

I am using the latest version of iTunes and recently found that some CD and DVD art will not import into iTunes. When ripping DVD's for example, I will find a jpg of the image on line and try to drop that into the artwork area without success. It shows up but when hitting OK, it does not update.

Anyone know why this is happening and more importantly how to fix?

Thanks,
Paul

desertmac
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2008, 10:27 AM

Experienced the same problem recently. I found that certain images are too large (in byte size) to display in iTunes. You might try to find a different image (amazon.com is a good source), or try to convert the image to a different or smaller file size using Graphic Converter or similar program.

Hope that helps.
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

Paul Alvarez  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2008, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by desertmac View Post
Experienced the same problem recently. I found that certain images are too large (in byte size) to display in iTunes. You might try to find a different image (amazon.com is a good source), or try to convert the image to a different or smaller file size using Graphic Converter or similar program.

Hope that helps.
Thanks desertmac. I will try reducing the size of the image, however, in some cases, I have tried to use the CD art already in iTunes for a video that is in the movie area. The CD art loads fine on the music side but does not load is the movie area.

desertmac
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2008, 11:00 AM

Hmmm . . . that's curious. I know iTunes stores its artwork in a special file. Perhaps for artwork that it has downloaded (as opposed to artwork that you have imported yourself) it only will associate that artwork with the file it designates. Can you associate an image that you have imported directly (not using the iTunes menu command) with a music file and a video file? If you can, then you may have discovered a limitation of iTunes artwork process.
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2008, 02:09 PM

What type of file are you ripping the DVD's to? I find iTunes useless in adding artwork to MP4 files. Try MetaX.

Paul Alvarez  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2008, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by desertmac View Post
Hmmm . . . that's curious. I know iTunes stores its artwork in a special file. Perhaps for artwork that it has downloaded (as opposed to artwork that you have imported yourself) it only will associate that artwork with the file it designates. Can you associate an image that you have imported directly (not using the iTunes menu command) with a music file and a video file? If you can, then you may have discovered a limitation of iTunes artwork process.
Not sure I am following what you are saying but the exact DVD image loaded OK on a prior version of iTunes (since there have been recent updates) and then will not load currently. For example, I recently ripped a DVD again since AppleTV now has Dolby 5.1 output. I wanted to have the 5.1 audio so decided to rip the same DVD to get that. I still had the prior version of the DVD in my iTunes library and then added the new version. I had previously added the DVD art and went to that version to copy the art and then pasted it into the updated version. This is where the process failed. Same image, already in the iTunes image file that wouldn't load a second time....I don't get it.

Thanks for your help so far.

Paul Alvarez  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
What type of file are you ripping the DVD's to? I find iTunes useless in adding artwork to MP4 files. Try MetaX.
I will check out MetaX. I've been using Handbrake (latest version) to rip DVD's for both the iTunes library and to transfer to my AppleTV.

Forum Links
Forum Rules