Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HDTVs: What Do All Those Connectors Do?

HDTVs: What Do All Those Connectors Do?
ghporter
Administrator
May 24, 2009, 09:58 AM

I have finally started seriously looking at HDTVs, particularly Samsung's newer really thin 600, 700, and 800 series LED TVs. I can figure out most of the connectors, like composite and component video, HDMI, DVI and so on. But a lot of 'em have both USB and Ethernet ports. In the Series 6 manual, the two USB connectors are labeled "USB 1" and "USB 2 (HDD)."

So what do you do with an Ethernet port, a USB port, and a USB port that's marked for use with a hard drive?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2009, 10:34 AM

Having recently bought an HDTV, I have been looking at the the same models. From my findings, the USB ports can be used to play MP3 files and/or view pictures in JPEG/JPG off a USB stick or even by directly connecting a camera to it. The USB (HDD) port is predictably, for connecting a HDD and playing videos/music off it. Different manufacturers support different codecs, with LG offering the widest support. However, XVid/DivX support is fairly common on TVs with USB ports for HDDs.

The ethernet port is for connecting the TV to a network, to get Yahoo! widgets like Weather and Twitter working, which were mainly advertised this year at CES. I believe Samsung also allows Firmware Updates directly off the internet for TVs equipped with a LAN port.

SVass
Mac Elite
May 25, 2009, 10:22 AM

I purchased a Panasonic TC-L32S1 1080p last month from Mac Connection at a decent price, $674. The advertising is wrong as the set does have a working QAM tuner. It also comes in a 37 inch size. CU likes the set because it has a wide viewing angle which most LCD sets do not.
sam

Forum Links
Forum Rules