Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Thinking of buying a new MBP, Video graphic question.

Thinking of buying a new MBP, Video graphic question.
Rolando_jose
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2009, 09:34 AM

Hi, well to the quetion, what difference does it makes the 1 vs 2 graphic cards? I mean, will the 2 help my with faster renders when making movies or 3D.

The difference is 300 bucks and I want to know if I really need the two cards or can go to the model with only one (MBP 15")

Please help.

thanks,

Rolando

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2009, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rolando_jose View Post
Hi, well to the quetion, what difference does it makes the 1 vs 2 graphic cards? I mean, will the 2 help my with faster renders when making movies or 3D.
Yes; that and gaming are precisely the two markets where the discrete graphics chipset makes the biggest difference.

OreoCookie
Jun 12, 2009, 11:49 AM

Unless you're using Color or Motion at this point, rendering is done on the cpu. Decoding of h264 video will be supported with the integrated chipset (which both have), so you won't have an advantage there either.

However, if you construct 3D models, you may benefit from a dedicated graphics chip -- but it won't help you rendering stuff. I write may, because if it is only simple models, then you will not see much of an improvement. If you have to design complex 3D objects very often, you should get the dedicated graphics chip.

What computer do you have now? Are you satisfied with the 3D performance?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
Jun 12, 2009, 05:47 PM

No. Photoshop CS4 doesn't take advantage of the gpu for things other than smoother zooming and panning.

Rolando_jose  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2009, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
What computer do you have now? Are you satisfied with the 3D performance?
I have a desktop intel quad core 2.28, but I have to be out of the office a lot and want it to work outside and dont loos so much time. I do vedio editing and 3D animation, but I dont think I want to use if for 3D rendering, but probably I'll have to use it for video rendering from time to time.

OreoCookie
Jun 13, 2009, 04:49 AM

Again, rendering is not the issue here, displaying and constructing models is. If your work is 3D animation, you should get the discrete graphics chip.

OreoCookie
Jun 18, 2009, 06:46 PM

No, the built-in graphics card is perfectly capable of driving a 24" screen.

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2009, 11:31 PM

I'm wrestling with the same decision. Are the additional graphics cards only used for 3D rendering and games? Are there any other benefits for having the additional graphics cards? Advantages when running snow leopard or anything?

Serious questions. Not baiting or anything.
( Last edited by israces; Jun 23, 2009 at 11:18 AM. )
Backup your Backup

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2009, 05:00 AM

The 9400M is fine for a 24" (or larger) screen. In fact, it's the default option for a video card in the 24" iMac.

How much of an advantage is it for casual gaming? (Which is the only thing I'd use it for). I am wondering if it's worth the extra $300 just to play an occasional game of Call Of Duty or Half-Life 2? (Or WoW which my friend is desperately trying to get me to start playing)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2009, 01:24 PM

Hi, well to the quetion, what difference does it makes the 1 vs 2 graphic cards? I mean, will the 2 help my with faster renders when making movies or 3D. The difference is 300 bucks and I want to know if I really need the two cards or can go to the model with only one (MBP 15")
Responders so far have been largely missing the point. Evaluating for a new box we care about performance during the future life cycle of the box running your relevant future apps on future OS versions, not about past performance on last year's OS with last year's CS4 or whatever.

Your new MBP will spend most of its future life running OS 10.6 Snow Leopard and (hopefully) true 64-bit apps with the laptop maxxed out on RAM. One of Snow Leopard's stated goals is effective utilization of advanced graphics power across apps. Even if your chosen apps did not take full advantage of available graphics power last year, they very likely will next year and/or the year after under OS 10.6.

The answer is easy. For making movies and 3D you want the strongest possible laptop, and that is the 17" MBP with 2.3 million pixel (matte or glossy) 17" display vs. 1.3 million pixel (glossy only) 15" display. Also, only the 17" size has an EC slot that among other things allows easy use of a second SSD drive internally or fast eSATA connection to external hard drives.

If you must sacrifice significant screen real estate, pixel count and the EC slot by choosing the 15" size, yes you want the higher end 15" choice. However IMO the 17" is a far better choice. Note too that the 17" seems to generally dissipate heat better and perform 5-10% faster (probably related to heat) even if EC upgrades are not in play.

Glossy-only-display and loss of EC on the new 15" MBPs has rendered the 15" size no longer "pro." The good news is that the 17" MBP remains a wicked-excellent fully competent pro laptop!

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Jun 27, 2009 at 01:46 PM. )

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2009, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
How much of an advantage is it for casual gaming? (Which is the only thing I'd use it for). I am wondering if it's worth the extra $300 just to play an occasional game of Call Of Duty or Half-Life 2? (Or WoW which my friend is desperately trying to get me to start playing)
Generally gaming is very specifically sensitive to graphics power. E.g. http://barefeats.com/mbpp14.html

-Allen Wicks

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Generally gaming is very specifically sensitive to graphics power. E.g. http://barefeats.com/mbpp14.html

-Allen Wicks
A picture is worth 1,000 words, heh?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2009, 12:02 AM

The difference is 300 bucks and I want to know if I really need the two cards or can go to the model with only one (MBP 15"). . .
My view: The only people who should consider the entry level 15" MBP are those who need to be very frugal. It's nice that Apple has provided a lower cost option in the 15" lineup, but if you're spending the extra money for 15" over a 13", there's little reason to consider the 9400M-only model.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2009, 03:57 AM

IMHO the only people who should get a low-end 15" are those who want a 13" MB with a bigger screen. No seriously, it's 15" but it's not pro. It's consumer. Basically the answer to Laptop Hunters if you so want. And FTR, I think Apple was smart to introduce such a model.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2009, 11:33 PM

The screen resolution is nice for a built in graphic card (other than the 1280X800) on a 15.4". Though, I would go for the discrete graphic card version since I usually do not like to compromise when I use it.
( Last edited by polendo; Jun 28, 2009 at 11:41 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules