Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Droid

Droid
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2009, 02:12 PM

Any comments on this new phone? This looks like the first well-equipped and well-positioned Android based phone? I'm sure it won't be as cool as the iPhone, but it seems like there is a fair amount of potential to take a chip out of Apple's dominance, starting with those who are not AT&T customers, and others who simply want a decent iPhone alternative.

It will be interesting to see how the market of third party apps takes off and how they are delivered and installed onto those phones.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2009, 02:31 PM

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2009, 02:52 PM

If I was on Verizon still I'd be all over this phone. But Verizon went far too long without a decent phone that wasn't a Blackberry, so I ditched them years ago.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2009, 02:56 PM

It's authored by Sean Connery and Kurtwood Smith.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2009, 03:16 PM

It's just the latest in a long string of iPhone wannabees. It'll turn out to be as popular as the Pre, no doubt.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
It's just the latest in a long string of iPhone wannabees. It'll turn out to be as popular as the Pre, no doubt.
The phone itself may only reach that level, but the important thing about it is the platform. It's the first Android based phone that looks compelling to me, and it seems from the news online to be that way for a lot of people.

Having decent competition can only make the iPhone better.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2009, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
It's the first Android based phone that looks compelling to me, and it seems from the news online to be that way for a lot of people.
What do you know about it that makes it compelling. All you've seen is an ad. And don't forget that everyone said the same thing about the Pre. Let people get their hands on them and we'll see which is better. Oh yeah, don't forget the apps, the syncing, and the iPod. It's more than the handset itself that makes the iPhone so compelling.

Having decent competition can only make the iPhone better.
That's lame. Apple drive for product greatness drives them, not market. It's always been that way. Apple would consistently improve the iPhone even without competition. That's how you sell new products every year.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2009, 03:56 PM

That's lame. Apple drive for product greatness drives them, not market. It's always been that way. Apple would consistently improve the iPhone even without competition. That's how you sell new products every year.

Why does Apple strive for product greatness, a sense of altruism? No, it's to sell in great volumes. You can't "change the world" if you can't sell your products. Anything that threatens Apple's sales makes them work harder, lower their prices, work to match and beat their competitors on features, etc.

I have a feeling that there is room for at least a second strong smart phone. The iPhone is great, but it is designed to be a just-add-water turn-key sort of product that is accessible to the masses. In designing a product like this you have to constrain and restrain to provide a consistent and crystal clear user experience, thus the iPhone is not particularly hacker friendly. There may be a large enough market of people that want to go outside of the comfortable little Apple bubble to make this market viable, and for the time being there are all of the non-AT&T customers to go after too.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2009, 03:57 PM

This is not the Droid(tm) you are looking for....

(BTW, I signed up for information from Verizon about the Droid, because I really am interested. And at the bottom of the E-mail is a notice that the term DROID is a trademark of LucasFilm, and it was being used under license. WTF?)

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2009, 03:58 PM

It sounds to me like you admit the market for the Droid will be very small. I agree.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2009, 04:01 PM

I welcome the competition - Apple needs this to keep in check (at least in my vivid imagination).

The iPhone is amazing, though there are a few things that aggravate me to no end and without apology on Apple's part. My contract is up in March, so I will be looking at other devices and carriers. But I'll probably just get the 3GS.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2009, 04:02 PM

The Droid commercial was good, if you knew what they were talking about.

If Droid is great, it's great for everyone. Competition rocks. But how much will it cost? Right now, we don't know anything except removable battery, 5MP camera, and Android 2.0.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
(BTW, I signed up for information from Verizon about the Droid, because I really am interested. And at the bottom of the E-mail is a notice that the term DROID is a trademark of LucasFilm, and it was being used under license. WTF?)
I can see how you might get C3PO and a cell phone confused.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2009, 04:04 PM

What do you know about it that makes it compelling. All you've seen is an ad. And don't forget that everyone said the same thing about the Pre. Let people get their hands on them and we'll see which is better. Oh yeah, don't forget the apps, the syncing, and the iPod. It's more than the handset itself that makes the iPhone so compelling.
Actually I haven't even seen the ad. Just have seen writeups online about the hardware (supposed to be top notch) and Android OS 2.0 (also supposed to be top notch).

A response is unnecessary here. This is just idiotic.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 19, 2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I can see how you might get C3PO and a cell phone confused.
Hm...maybe that's why every time I tried to make a call all I heard was a British voice bitching about something or the other...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Hm...maybe that's why every time I tried to make a call all I heard was a British voice bitching about something or the other...
You sure it's not the wife?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2009, 05:29 PM

I'm looking forward to Android maturing into a competitive platform, and hardware like this (despite my aversion to sliders) is progress.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2009, 06:04 PM

Pics of the Motorola Droid.
Motorola Droid : Boy Genius Report

The Wikipedia article says it has Wi Fi, but I bet Verizon have it disabled

Verizon hasn't been apple friendly for quite some time.

I work for Freescale and surprised they went with a TI chip.
45/47

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2009, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Why does Apple strive for product greatness, a sense of altruism? No, it's to sell in great volumes. You can't "change the world" if you can't sell your products. Anything that threatens Apple's sales makes them work harder, lower their prices, work to match and beat their competitors on features, etc.
Wrong. You are saying Steve does it for the money? SO WRONG.

He's doing it to show them who's boss.

-t

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2009, 08:22 PM

One thing which no one seems to care about anymore, but is certainly worth mentioning anyway, is that since this thing is made by Motorola, it’s going to get much, much better reception than the iPhone. Say what you want about Moto, but they’ve always put really good radios and antennas into their phones.

This phone actually has the potential to be really nice. I hope Moto ends up making a GSM version at some point.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2009, 08:38 PM

^Apparently Moto bucked their great-signal trend with the CLIQ (not that I can remember where I read that, but somebody was definitely surprised by it, given Moto’s history).

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2009, 09:08 PM

Well, that’s discouraging. According to the reviews I just looked up though, the CLIQ seems to just be a piece of junk in general, whereas the Droid seems to be pretty well reviewed, so hopefully all this means is that the CLIQ was rushed to market or something and the Droid will be more up to Moto’s usual standards once the GSM version comes out (and it looks like there will be one, according to stuff I found via Google). If I could have an Android phone with the signal strength of my RAZR2 V8, that would be fantastic.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2009, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Verizon (and Sprint) announced after the BB Tour that all future phones would have wifi.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2009, 11:37 PM

I hope this isn't the final version of the phone. The gold is ugly and gaudy. I would consider getting this if it didnt look so...blah. There is no native ATT coverage where I'm at, so getting an iPhone really isn't an option for me. Blah, maybe I'll wait for the Storm 2...I hear its supposed to be significantly better than the current Storm.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2009, 11:41 PM

sdilley: how important is the looks of a gadget in your purchase decision making?

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2009, 12:51 AM

Hahah, nearly as important as looks when I'm choosing a woman.

But seriously, if I'm going to look at the thing and handle it off and on all day every day, I want something that's going to look appealing to me. Sure, its not as important as function or performance, but its right up there.

I'm much more concerned about the looks of my phone rather than, say, my GPS unit, which I only use and need to look at a couple times a month at most.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2009, 01:46 AM

Pics of the Motorola Droid.
Motorola Droid : Boy Genius Report

Verizon hasn't been apple friendly for quite some time.

I work for Freescale and surprised they went with a TI chip.
TI has had 3D acceleration embedded in its low power ARM for 1-2+ years. I haven't heard of a Freescale CPU that includes that. Isn't Freescale focused in telephony grade processors?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2009, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
TI has had 3D acceleration embedded in its low power ARM for 1-2+ years. I haven't heard of a Freescale CPU that includes that. Isn't Freescale focused in telephony grade processors?
No. We are in a wide variety of products. As far as handset CPUs, since the spin off we can sell to other handset manufacturers, not just Motorola. When we were part of Motorola, we could sell CPUs to Motorola only.
45/47

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2009, 08:19 AM

No. We are in a wide variety of products. As far as handset CPUs, since the spin off we can sell to other handset manufacturers, not just Motorola. When we were part of Motorola, we could sell CPUs to Motorola only.
I use Freescale PowerPC (PowerQuicc) in my designs. I've looked at the whole CPU lineup and they all offer many integrated features like PCI, networking and SATA, but none of them have video generators.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2009, 08:02 PM

You work for TI? Are you at the Tucson office? Do you know a new guy named Kyle, by any chance?

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2009, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
You work for TI? Are you at the Tucson office? Do you know a new guy named Kyle, by any chance?
He said he is in Freescale. Of course he knows a guy named Kyle. I do too.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2009, 12:34 AM

Tell Kyle that Kevin from Canada says hi!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2009, 02:58 AM

Just wondering: Why does my mobile company get all the craptastic Android phones?

I'd like a smartphone, but I really like T-Mobile and Catherine Zeta-Jones insists that I stick with them. So I keep my pretty PEBL.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2009, 08:18 AM

You could buy an unlocked Nokia smartphone for some ungodly price.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2009, 12:34 PM

Official announcement of the Droid:
More pics and facts about the new DROID by Motorola

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2009, 12:54 PM

Official Google Blog: Announcing Google Maps Navigation for Android 2.0

Droid will have this too, which is rather sweet... of course, the iPhone is getting it as well, it's just a question of when.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2009, 01:14 PM

Any word on pricing for the service plans yet?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post

Droid will have this too, which is rather sweet... of course, the iPhone is getting it as well, it's just a question of when.
The iPhone will probably never get that, since Apple has bought a competing map provider and presumably will be replacing their use of Google Maps with the service they acquired.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2009, 01:58 PM

No, google has announced that it is coming to the iPhone. Unless Apple decides to be douches about it or something.

Google Maps Navigation takes a mobile turn | Relevant Results - CNET News

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2009, 02:04 PM

I'm liking this Droid thing more and more. The fact that it's not AT&T makes it particularly appealing.
hmmm, my contracts are expiring soon...
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2009, 02:08 PM

If it didn't have a keyboard I might consider it.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2009, 02:18 PM

This looks pretty cool!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2009, 02:22 PM

No, google has announced that it is coming to the iPhone. Unless Apple decides to be douches about it or something.
Rumor has it that Apple are indeed about to do just that.

Apple purchased Placebase in July to replace Google Maps? - Computerworld Blogs

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2009, 02:26 PM

It smells like one of those tit for tat competitor vs. competitor battles at the expense of the consumer. Yum!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Rumor has it that Apple are indeed about to do just that.

Apple purchased Placebase in July to replace Google Maps? - Computerworld Blogs
They may replace the default mapping software, yes. But that doesn't mean Google can't create their own app on the store (which is what they have said they were doing with this software).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2009, 03:21 PM

They may replace the default mapping software, yes. But that doesn't mean Google can't create their own app on the store (which is what they have said they were doing with this software).
That doesn't mean Apple has to allow it on there.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2009, 03:31 PM

I imagine the FCC investigation might slow Apple down on denying it, though. Notice how googlevoice went from 'denied' to 'still in review'.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
That doesn't mean Apple has to allow it on there.
And if it duplicates built-in functionality, they usually don’t.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2009, 03:35 PM

Curious: Is anyone who here who really loves their iPhone thinking about getting Andriod due to app store bullsh*t?

ImpulseResponse

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by GSixZero View Post
Curious: Is anyone who here who really loves their iPhone thinking about getting Andriod due to app store bullsh*t?
I love my iPhone, and am thinking about switching to Android. But it's not because I think Apple is doing anything wrong with the app store; I don't.

Forum Links
Forum Rules