Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Aperture 3 Orginization - How do you do it?

Aperture 3 Orginization - How do you do it?
ghostshadow
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2010, 12:13 PM

Hey all,

I know this might be kind of silly. I was just wondering how some of you manage your photos with Aperture 3? I have finally decided to start using Aperture, the folder system has worked for me for a few years but now things are just getting out of hand. So I thought I would organize a bit in Aperture.

I was just wondering if you guys and gals could show a screen shot of how you manage photos? This is how I have it currently. I'm just trying to get an idea if I could do it more fluently or not.

Thanks!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2010, 10:42 AM

High level projects are years. I started with Aperture in 2009, so being conventional, I have 2 high level Projects, 2009 and 2010.

Under each year I create projects by event with a date. Example 2010-04-11 Mark's Wedding. I'm English so the format is YYYY-MM-DD. If I have several days its YYYY-MM-DD_DD_DD

Now I have found that I want to split out some stuff for easier uploading to SmugMug, so I have two other 'types' of folders underneath the year. One is for Surfers (this summer I did about 200 shots per day of surfers), the other is for a sport called Pelote Basque (which Jai Alai is part of).

Basically the reasoning is that the date stuff is usually with my family and so goes into galleries that are shared by grandparents etc, and the other stuff is for non-family 'events'.

I don't know if its the best way to organise, but its my way.

OreoCookie
Sep 17, 2010, 04:59 AM

I agree with mattyb here: I also use the Year > Year.Month > Year.Month.Day - description paradigm to sort my photos. I have also added continents/countries at the bottom of the tree … 

In addition, I have things outside of this structure such as misc (which contains my collection of desktop images, for instance), then printing > Year > purpose which contains albums with pictures and book projects that I would like to have printed that year.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2011, 09:46 PM

I hate to bump an older thread but I have a question along the same lines as the OP. I had all my photos in Aperture then I exported them all into \Year\Month format. I then deleted my Aperture library and imported all the photos but left them where they were on the HDD...Aperture just referenced them. I wish Aperture would look for added/deleted folders when it opens and when I move photos within Aperture those moves would be mirrored within the folder structure on my HDD. My question is what's the easiest way to add/move/delete photos when Aperture stores photos in their current location? Should I reimport the folder with duplicated excluded or is there a better way? Thanks.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2011, 12:35 PM

How you store your photos on your hard drive won't make any difference to how you organize in Aperture. And rightly so. Aperture AFAIK, only knows about folders and projects created within Aperture.

Forum Links
Forum Rules