Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > external monitor reco's

external monitor reco's
avapilot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2011, 08:07 PM

hi....i will be getting an external monitor to mainly use with photoshop and in design on my new mac book pro.....being new to apple any reco's on which brand to buy?...i am looking in the 19-24" range...budget is around $300.... the apple monitor is nice but beyond my $$...

thanks

bob

PhilCat
Feb 28, 2011, 05:33 PM

It's not hard to find used cinema displays.
For your needs, other than Apple is not cheap either.
I've tried the $300 alternates, and use them for anything but imaging.

MBP's screen is far better.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2011, 10:51 PM

avapilot, if you do web stuff, most all new monitors will do the job. I've seen many, and they pretty much look similar. Go to a store and look at them, have them display a site you know and judge! Brands I've seen: LG Samsung Acer AOC and screens on Windows laptops at costco from Toshiba, Sony and more. I'm comparing to my 27" iMac. For print I don't know, that is way more complex!

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2011, 04:01 PM

Look at Dell.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2011, 05:50 PM

For Photoshop work, you want a display with an IPS panel, as the TN panels found in most cheaper displays do not have full 8-bit color support and suffer from distortion as the viewing angle changes. The Dell UltraSharp monitors generally use IPS these days (not the generic Dell monitors, though — those are far lower quality), as do HP's high-end monitors.

Dell and HP usually list whether a monitor is IPS in their specifications these days, so just look at the tech specs and pick out a good display.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules