Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sound input port

Sound input port
gobnay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2001, 12:38 AM

When my powerbook is at home, I use external speakers attached via the mini din. Lately the connection is bad and I have to jiggle the connector to make contact. is there a way to - I don't know how else to put it - make the hole tight again? I am getting really tired of having to jiggle the wires.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2001, 01:40 AM

That sounds like the sound output port, and it sounds like it might be a problem with your cable. If it's not the cable then it is more than likely that the soldering of your audio port has come lose, possibly by an impact while the plug was attached. To fix this, you will need to open up the Powerbook (is it a G3 or a G4?) and reset the solder.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Spectre666
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2001, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by gobnay:
is there a way to - I don't know how else to put it - make the hole tight again?
Have her do a 30 minute intense inner thigh work out every morning.

I hate everyone equally.

gobnay  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2001, 04:32 PM

tonton, thanks for your reply. you are correct, it is the sound output! for some reason i was thinking it was the inner portion of the jack, but now that you mention the loose solder joints, i am thinking that makes a lot of sense. now if i can just remember a few things from my micro-miniature modular repair class in soldering techniques.....

gobnay  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2001, 01:42 AM

disassembled the powerbook (thank goodness for the apple tech memos), found the offending solder connection(s), resoldered them and everything works great! not too bad for a first attempt.

moderator, feel free to close this thread unless you feel the info would be useful for others.

thanx again, tonton

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 31, 2001, 04:05 AM

We only close threads when there are flame wars or if it is a common question, we don't close threads proactively

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules